“Excellent resort stay with quality activities”
Review of Horseshoe Resort

Horseshoe Resort
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent resort stay with quality activities”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Even the rainy first day was enjoyable and peaceful. Food and beverage was good and accommodation was slope side renovated condo - highly recommend. It was clear work was being done to upgrade the facility so we would be excited to see it again this time next year.

Accommodation:
Very quiet and restful at night although the hotel was clearly busy. Hotel is well suited to pets and prepared for pets.

Service:
Overall each encounter was positive- employees were engaged and informed.

Hotel lobby and main dining area:
Dinner in main dining area in hotel and the service were excellent. Lobby fireplace used on the cold day and/or bar service in the lobby-fireplace area are a must when weather is bad; atmosphere opportunity here.

Adventure Park:
The most relaxing part for us was that we could park the car and not look at it again until we left two nights later. We were able to walk to the adventure park and even see it from the fifth floor walkway. The kids played in the maze like they were in a survivor episode and played basketball and mini-putt as the rain was coming to an end. The second day was sunshine and warm and we entered the adventure park again to zip-line and use the OGO ball park which were reopened in the good weather. The gold mining sounded a bit odd but the outcome was a lovely bag of little gems to take home as a keepsake for the younger child who did not weigh enough to zip-line. This zip-line is an excellent one for the beginner or risk adverse adventurer. No big crowds, just busy enough. Some work could be done to improve tuck shop arrival/ticket experience as 20 minutes in line for tickets with only one person working seems avoidable.Perhaps allow hotel concierge to distribute tickets or have separate line for hotel guests ticket purchase.

SPA
We did not have time to use the service but did visit the spa and chat with the informed man at the desk. I would book a service next time.

Room Tip: Condos were very nice and trendy with great natural light and slope side views. If you pick condos...
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to post your comments and feedback. I can't wait to share your review with the rest of the Horseshoe team!

I was delighted to hear your family enjoyed the accommodations & activities and found our staff to be engaged and informed.

Please feel free to give me a call when you have a chance regarding your question on ski storage in our Slopeside Condo.

I would be pleased to offer my assistance in booking your next stay. Please feel free to give me a call in advance. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort.

Lisa R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Wanted to get away for a couple of days and convinced three friends to join me. One of the friends has access to the condos on site so that made our stay that much more pleasant. We played golf on the Highlands course and enjoyed the opportunity to chill and have a few laughs. Definitely will go back in the near future.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for staying with us and posting your review.

Glad you had a chance to unwind with friends and enjoy our Highlands Championship Golf Course. Horseshoe is an amazing place of adventure and activities as well as a wonderful place to unwind with family & friends.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Hamilton, ON
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We've just returned from 3 days and 2 nights at Horseshoe Resort. I was lucky enough to find a Wagjag offer that allowed us to experience Horseshoe while staying within this years vacation budget. Our package included passes to the Adventure Park, which the kids (and I) loved! The zipline and OGO balls were must-do's for us and were very much enjoyed. My only 'complaint' would be the hours of the Adventure Park (11-6 during the week).....the kids wanted to go back after dinner for more 'adventure', but it was too late at that point.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom Slopeside Condo, and were satisfied with our accomodations. Yes, there are improvements that could be made to make them more modern, and I'm sure will be made in time, but there was nothing that hindered our stay at all. Our condo had a screened in balcony (loved it in the evening when we were relaxing!) Having access to a kitchenette to make dinners was definitely a plus. Another perk was having 2 bathrooms....and a washer/dryer available in our condo if needed.

All staff that I dealt with (over the phone when making the reservation & inquiring about switching dates, to check in, at the Adventure Park, etc.) were more than friendly and accommodating.

We did enjoy lunch at the Crazy Horse Resturant, and were happy with the options available. The service was good and the food came quickly so we could go back to the park :)

We are definitely hoping to return to Horseshoe in the future to enjoy some of the other activities that are available.

Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for staying with us and posting your review.

I was delighted to hear you and your family enjoyed our two bedroom condo and the activities at the Adventure Park. I will forward your comments to the rest of the Horseshoe team as I know it will energize them and put smiles on their faces.

We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy all of our adventures and activities very soon!

Thanks again,
Stratford, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My family of five including two children (9 and 12) and grandma stayed last week in a fifth floor, fully renovated condo. The condo had two bedrooms, the master with its own bathroom and king bed, a second bedroom with a queen bed, and it also had a new pull out sofa bed in the living room. There is a second bathroom across the hall from the back bedroom. The back bedroom is off the condo entrance and access balcony walk and comes with room darkening plantation shutters. FYI there is another empty small room with a window as you come into the condo which is carpeted and can be used to store empty suitcases, any equipment for hiking, etc. or could even be used for another bedroom in a pinch. The condo has a full kitchen with mostly everything you would need to prepare meals. It is one of the better ones I have used while on a holiday and has a stove, oven, microwave, full sized fridge, dishwasher, big sink, toaster....dishes, pots and pans, coffee mugs, glasses of all description, cutlery, and dish soap all provided. Bring your own paper towels/napkins though. The bathrooms had a small quantity of shampoo and conditioner and two full towels in each bathroom so you may want to bring a few of your own or ask for more as there is no maid service provided during your stay in the condos. A hairdryer was provided as well. There is a washer and dryer in the condo and after requesting laundry soap, we were able to take care of keeping our towels fresh and wash some of our clothes and swim suits. The condo is spacious and we didn't hear any noise during out stay, the beds were new and comfortable, and the televisions were new as well. One is in the master bedroom and one is just behind it in the living room. Our condo had a fireplace which we didn't use so I won't comment on and beyond a sliding door was a glassed in, mosquito netted balcony room equipped with chaise loungers and overlooking the pool and ski hills. These condos look to have been finished quite quickly in time for the season so a few small details have been missed like a vacuum cleaner or broom for clean-ups would be nice (a broom was provided upon request), extra dish clothes and towels, some windex for cleaning up the bathroom mirrors. We stayed for five days so without such cleaning items keeping the condo clean was a bit of a challenge. There needs to be a toilet roll holder put up in the master bathroom as well, the hairdryer needs to be affixed to the wall as well, and a doorstop would be great in the front door of the condo. When we arrived we weren't able to access the internet in 506 but they fixed the problem the next day. The condo was well situated and very comfortable for my family of five.
While at the resort, we went to the Adventure Park and both my girls had a good time. We all had a zip line ride but didn't make it to the OGO balls unfortunately as we ran out of time. On another day, we all went tree top trekking although we broke into two separate groups as my youngest wasn't tall enough to do the "adult" course and my mom wouldn't have been able to do it either so we climbed the "child" course and it was challenging enough for us. My husband and eldest daughter thoroughly enjoyed their adventure on the bigger course. On another day, we learned how to ride dirt bikes at Yamaha Adventures and while it is a bit more of a hit on the pocket book, we had a brilliant time learning that skill. We were fully covered in protective gear and all the instructors were professional and patient. The Segways were also pretty cool according to my husband and eldest daughter who spent a half day learning how to navigate the trails around Horseshoe. My girls both went swimming in the condo pool and had a great time and neither mentioned it being cold.
Barrie is about a twenty minute drive away if you want to pop out for a movie or shop, and there is a grocery store five minutes down the road as well. A few other restaurant options are also about five minutes by car from the resort. We had a fabulous time and will return another time.

Room Tip: The fifth floor condos have all been renovated but the other floors have not yet been done! If you...
3 Thank Hayleyscomet_11
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments & feedback on our newly renovated Slopeside condo units. I have forwarded your suggestions to our management team.

I was delighted to hear your family of five had a fabulous time, enjoyed the condo and many of our adventures.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Toronto
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Room: checked into room 112 with a view of a wood she's infront of window - we originally asked for valley view room. Went to front desk and they switched us to room 130 - much better! Beautiful view.
The room was pretty clean except for the carpet, it had grass all over the place.

Pool:
The small pool is nice at the inn. We were a bit disappointed in the big pool because while relaxing on Monday a children day camp came in and were splashing and running around. The counsellors were laying on loungers - not paying much attention to kids.

Dining: crazy horse has good food- basic bar foods! Service was good. Silks was not worth the prices of most dishes. We found it a bit pricey for our meals and the servers were not attentive - my husband was not impressed with his meal (duck) his rice was not cooked. We had 3 different people bringing us food and drinks and waiting 25 mins for our bill to be brought to us. We were disappointed

The layout of horseshoe is great! If you have kids it would be an awesome getaway for the family- not so much for couples.

• Stayed August 2014
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for staying with us for your anniversary and posting your review. Happy Anniversary!

I was happy to hear our Front Desk accommodated you with a ValleyView guest room.

I am sorry you found your experience to be mediocre and I will follow up with our management teams on your comments and feedback.

Please feel free to give me a call to discuss.

Ontario
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We only had a couple of days for holidays and I needed to ensure we got the best bang for our buck. We didn't have time to go Niagara way, so I looked north, and east. Horseshoe Resort offered "free golf with room" and it was by far the best price. I had been reading the reviews here and was hesitant as the reviews were either wonderful, or horrible. I booked online, and hadn't been able to get a response re how to book our tee time (booking online required payment and our golf was to be free) but I popped a note here on Tripadvisor and immediately got a response from Lisa, who took care of everything - Lisa even called when we were at the resort. We played golf all day! The room was in great shape - clean, newly renovated. The staff was very friendly and the weather was the best all summer. We did a quick walkabout, but we went to play golf, and we did. We ate our meals at the Crazy Horse and all was tasty (little expensive) ......only thing I would do differently next time would be to bring more food, as there is a beer fridge in the room.

Room Tip: Our room was facing the golf course.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
It was a great decision to stay with us as you list all of the reasons why. Thank you for posting your comments.

I was delighted to hear you enjoyed golf all day and found our staff to be very friendly.

Please feel free to give me a call in advance of your next stay. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Port Charlotte, Florida
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We were running a golf tournament for two days for 33 folks. Every single person who we dealt with over our two day stay from the golf cart staff to the reception desk to the chef were most polite and accommodating. It was one of the most enjoyable hotels experiences that we have had in the last few years. They are doing an excellent job in all respects.

Room Tip: The rooms on the left side of the hotel overlook the golf course, the ones on the right are quiet bu...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for having your golf tournament at Horseshoe and posting your review.

I have forwarded your comments to the rest of the Horseshoe team specifically our golf staff.
Your comments will energize them and put smiles on their faces. Thank you!

We hope to welcome you back soon!