“Girl's Getaway”
Review of Horseshoe Resort

Horseshoe Resort
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Reviewed 21 August 2014

4 of us came to the Horseshoe resort after purchasing a wagjag deal for the adventure park.
I should have done my homework better. I should have just booked a room for less money since we were not able to use any of the facilities due to lack of time and ability. Our rooms were nice, overlooking the golf course, and we could enjoy the sunset from there. Beds were comfy and bathroom is great with a big shower. 2 of us enjoyed the spa facilities for massages and a pedicure, although they were rather pricey, which I guess is to be expected.
We ate at the Crazy Horse restaurant out on the balcony which was lovely. The service and food were good. Breakfast was a hot buffet in the hotel. Very good selection for a decent price of $14.
One thing we noticed was that no matter how many staff we passed in halls or outside they all welcomed us or said hello or even stopped to chat as we were waiting for the elevator. Very friendly. Lorna at the concierge desk was especially helpful and friendly as we passed.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for staying with us and posting your review.

I was delighted with your comments regarding the shizen spa, accommodations, the crazy horse restaurant, staff and service. I have shared your comments with the rest of the Horseshoe team.

I look forward to you returning and experiencing the adventure park.

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

When I think resort, I think high quality, up to date, well kept. We had a condo for 2 nights which was in MAJOR MAJOR need of repair and renovation. It included everything we needed, full kitchen, dishwasher, laundry but I couldn't get passed the feeling that everything FELT dirty. Having the screened it balcony was great though the carpet was torn to shreds & the chairs are cheap & uncomfortable. The beds were comfy. Pool loungers were amazing and our view overlooking the hill was great. The pool by the condos needs a major overhaul though it has a nice new deck. The adventure park was good, we got a day pass for the kids which we thought was priced right and the zip lining is worth the price of admission. My husband golfed & found a great price on golfnow.com but said it's pretty basic & wouldn't pay for a regular green fee. They've obviously put the money into the adventure park & not accommodations. None of us appreciated being awoken to horrible music blaring through the tree speakers at 9am one morning and the next the sound of construction while a backhoe and trucks did whatever they were doing outside our window (and our view). If I wanted to hear construction, I'd've stayed in the city. Fun for the kids, if they could bring the accommodations up to par of the adventure park it'd be worth the stay.

Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post your impressions.

We have been making consistent investments in the resort as we continue to renovate and improve. We have renovated the top floor of the two bedroom condo building along with the stairwells & elevator and we will be moving forward with further renovations. All of our guest rooms in the hotel are completely renovated.

I was delighted you enjoyed your time in the adventure park with your family, found the unit to have everything you needed including comfortable beds.

I will follow up on your comments regarding music and construction as there wasn't any construction scheduled for August.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We enjoyed two nights at the Horseshoe Resort with our young children. Service was terrific, especially Ivan at the front desk. So helpful and friendly! Meals at Crazy Horse restaurant were pretty good and service was fast. I enjoyed that the Adventure Park was open to the public and that you didn't necessarily have to pay for all the activities if you didn't want to. Zipline was fun. Pony ride great! $5 for 5 minutes. Definitely need to have more staff for Euro Bungy so that the line up isn't as long. Surprised that there was only a shower and not a bathtub, though it was fine for the most part. Also would have liked towels in the pool area. Fabulous spa services-Christopher is an amazing masseuse! We had a great time.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for staying with us and taking a moment to post your review.

I was thrilled to hear you enjoyed a great family getaway and found the service of our team to be terrific! I will share all of your comments with the Horseshoe Team, specifically wiith Ivan and Christopher.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort.

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We had to ask multiple times for tickets and supper supplies which were supposed to be included. Lines were way too long at adventure park. We waited for some rides for up an hour. Pools were very cold.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jonathan M

Thank you for taking a moment to post your review.

I apologize that you were disappointed with your experience and will follow up with your comments. Our Adventure Park has had lots of action with all of our activities and adventures.

Please feel free to give me a call to discuss.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband, three sons and I spent this past weekend at Horseshoe. I can't say enough about the staff...extremely friendly and professional. The hotel and grounds were clean and it is a gorgeous property, but the website is very misleading. I was under the impression that all the things on your Adventure Park video were included, but very sadly, found that very little was in fact included. My older kids were too big for the Euro-Bungee and only one zip-line ticket was included. Even if we wanted to spend the extra money for zip-lining, tree trekking, segways, bikes and buggies, we couldn't because everything was fully booked. :( If I had been told by the person on the phone to book ahead, the experience would have been so much better. What could have been a wonderful, exciting weekend ended up being boring. Very sad. We spent a heck of a lot of money to pretty much sit around the hotel lobby all weekend.

The weather was awful on Saturday (no fault of Horseshoe obviously) and everything at the Adventure Park was closed. I wish there were some indoor activities for my little guy. Maybe a movie day in one of the conference rooms would have been a nice idea for rain days. There is only so much swimming a kid can do and that's the only option he had on Saturday.

Again, I appreciate the great service and beautiful hotel, but at over $800 for two nights, I was very disappointed in general.

Thank you for staying with us and posting your review.

I really appreciate your comments regarding our staff, our service and the resort grounds.

I sincerely apologize for your experience and would like to discuss this with you further, please give me a call at the resort.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at Horseshoe despite the weather. Unfortunately it meant we couldn't enjoy all that Horseshoe had to offer. I was pleased to notice how friendly and helpful all the staff were. Every time I encountered staff of any function, I was directly engaged in a friendly and professional manner even if it was only passing in hallway.

Adventure Park was great and we were able to enjoy some of it but our stay would have been a bit more enjoyable if there was more to do in the bad weather. Perhaps a "sit-in-movie" in one of the conference rooms in the basement? Something to get you out of the room.

Had a great time Tree Top Trekking and Dirt-bike riding with SMART.

I am a SkyLife Rewards member and was disappointed to learn the booking was not made correctly to get the most benefit from that. I realize that is not Horseshoe's issue but I would offer that it was not evident in the booking process between the two that something was missed. However, I will add the front desk staff was very helpful in shuffling things around to get us in one room for the whole stay.

Thanks

Thank you for staying with us and posting your review.

I look forward to sharing your comments with the rest of the Horseshoe Team as I know it will energize them. I was thrilled to hear you enjoyed the Adventure Park, Treetop Trekking and Yamaha Adventures.

I sincerely apologize for the miscommunication with booking your reservation but happy to hear our Front Desk team resolved it to your satisfaction.

Please do come back to enjoy all that Horseshoe has to offer.

Many thanks

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Even the rainy first day was enjoyable and peaceful. Food and beverage was good and accommodation was slope side renovated condo - highly recommend. It was clear work was being done to upgrade the facility so we would be excited to see it again this time next year.

Accommodation:
Very quiet and restful at night although the hotel was clearly busy. Hotel is well suited to pets and prepared for pets.

Service:
Overall each encounter was positive- employees were engaged and informed.

Hotel lobby and main dining area:
Dinner in main dining area in hotel and the service were excellent. Lobby fireplace used on the cold day and/or bar service in the lobby-fireplace area are a must when weather is bad; atmosphere opportunity here.

Adventure Park:
The most relaxing part for us was that we could park the car and not look at it again until we left two nights later. We were able to walk to the adventure park and even see it from the fifth floor walkway. The kids played in the maze like they were in a survivor episode and played basketball and mini-putt as the rain was coming to an end. The second day was sunshine and warm and we entered the adventure park again to zip-line and use the OGO ball park which were reopened in the good weather. The gold mining sounded a bit odd but the outcome was a lovely bag of little gems to take home as a keepsake for the younger child who did not weigh enough to zip-line. This zip-line is an excellent one for the beginner or risk adverse adventurer. No big crowds, just busy enough. Some work could be done to improve tuck shop arrival/ticket experience as 20 minutes in line for tickets with only one person working seems avoidable.Perhaps allow hotel concierge to distribute tickets or have separate line for hotel guests ticket purchase.

SPA
We did not have time to use the service but did visit the spa and chat with the informed man at the desk. I would book a service next time.

Room Tip: Condos were very nice and trendy with great natural light and slope side views. If you pick condos...