“Absolutely Pathetic - STAY AWAY!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Retro Planet

Retro Planet
Ranked #15 of 18 Fun & Games in Barrie
Angus, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Absolutely Pathetic - STAY AWAY!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

I am the course director on a military course being held at CFB Borden. My students chose to have their end of course party here as they were told this venue is not just a childrens establishment (it has a separate bar, serves alcohol, and many corporate parties are held here).

The reservation was made for 4pm, the staff fully aware that the 20-30 people in attending were military (therefore not children). We were told there would be a bartender on duty. When we arrived, we were greeted by a chalkboard at the front saying there was a military party in the bar area. We proceeded to the bar area to find it empty and were quickly told that we had to be out by 5:30 for another party, that there was no bartender and if we wanted alcohol we could get it from the diner.

The Diner - Wow! Twelve of us lined up to order food. At no point was the food ordered recorded anywhere for the staff in the back to prepare it and therefore MULTIPLE orders were missed or forgotten. While the orders were being taken the two staff in the back (so-called manager Larissa and Kally) were sharing a poutine in front of everyone in line. The boy working the front counter (also responsible for drinks) did not even get people their drinks until we went to the front and asked for it (to which he'd reply, "what did you order again"? My husband and I ordered 2 poutine, 2 drinks. One poutine came out (without a drink)...20 mins passed when I asked for the other one (along with many others still waiting for their orders while the staff socialized in the back). I handed the now cold poutine back to the boy at the counter and said I would have another one so that my husband and I could eat together when it came out. He took it to the back, the "manager" then came out and said "Which one was it"? I told her it was me and that we shouldn't have had to wait this long when I was the second person to order. She said, "well, its going to be a while cuz we're out of gravy". I then asked for a refund. She said, "Fine", no apology or anything. She started the transaction where I had to insert my debit card back into the machine..."PURCHASE" came up on the screen. I said, "I think you are charging me again". She said, "No, thats how it comes up". Once the receipt printed, she said, "S**t, I just charged you again". NO FREAKING KIDDING! She didn't know how to do a refund so called Allan in to do it for her, saying shes new here. Allan refunded me, again, no apology. While all this is going on, they are out of 2 beer brands they are advertising as having, as well as any diet pop.

I ask this girl who the manager is at this point, to which she replies "me". I tell her that this is absolutely pathetic customer service and none of you seem to care. I ask her when I can speak to her boss and she said hes not in until Thursday. She says she wasn't aware that there was a party booked...I said well "you're the manager right" and its on the chalkboard at the front! She said, " I KNOW, I PUT IT THERE". Hmmm...

On my way out of the establishment, I stop Allan at the front to ask him the same question, as he seems to be a little more experienced than the snotty Larissa. He tells me that we were told there would be no bartender and that parties are only for 1.5 hrs. I asked him if it was him on the phone when the reservation was made. He said no, so how'd he know that? He told me "you guys" (meaning military) are not even allowed to have parties there because of an incident that happened there last year. Funny how "us guys" (12 people) must be the same people that caused an incident last year. Fact: There are more than 50,000 people in the Canadian Forces and CFB Borden is the largest training base in Canada with thousands of troops rotating in and out all year long! According to Allan, it is also okay for staff to eat their dinner in front of customers waiting while preparing food at the same time because they need to eat too. He also informed me that he had nothing to say because there was nothing that he could do about it. I was taking notes of all of this after informing him that I would be calling the manager. He mentioned this is primarily a childrens establisment and so not carrying enough food/alcohol should be expected. So Allan, why serve alcohol at all, why have a room set up like a sports bar? Allan, visably upset that he was being left to deal with a complaint informed us that Larissa, who he says is 19 years old was hiding in the back because she didn't want to be "given the gears".

I was given the business card with the name Jamie Martin on it and was told that was the owner (after being persistant enough to get a name and number).

This is just another example of absolutely atrocious customer service that seems to be getting worse and worse in todays society. Whatever happened to pride in your work? Owning up for your actions? Saying I'm sorry? Clearly, Mr. Martin needs to take a better look at who he is hiring!

Visited December 2012
16 Thank Christa E

Barrie
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“kids party place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

granchildren love this place. something to do besides eating. staff very good with children. food is typical childrens fare.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank galipo47
Barrie, Canada
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Not our best birthday party experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

the amount they billed me on the CC doubled when I got there becasue the staff made a mistake and did not charge me enough.

Visited September 2011
2 Thank VHW67
Omemee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“expensive but fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

We went on a rainy day so pretty much had the place to ourselves. Paid handsomely for the privilege of acting like a kid. Great family fun.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Jamie S
Collingwood
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Fun for the whole family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

Finding somewhere that is fun for the whole family is never easy - but at Retro Planet we've managed that!

My children range in age from 19 to 12 and have been entertained at Retro Planet throughout the years. I think we 'found' it about 5 years ago and have been going once or twice a year since then; every time we stay over in Barrie.

My eldest loves the laser tag there, my youngest especially loves the glow in the dark mini-golf and my middle two really enjoy certain video games - I go from one to the other :)

On certain days during the week (and in the Summer - every day) they have 'play all day' passes (currently) for $20! - All you can play laser tag/mini golf and non-prize video games included! (There are also machines that require tokens which give out tickets for prize redemption, but they cost extra.)

They also have food available there, but we often pop across the parking lot to A & W as my one son is addicted to their 'frosty mugs'.

My youngest is physically disabled, so finding something that she can enjoy just as much as my other kids, is well worth mentioning when it happens - that's why I wanted to review Retro Planet.

I just wish they'd update their website - we've told them about it when we've visited the last two years at least.

Visited July 2011