“Comfortable, spacious condos close to the slopes”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Barrie
Carriage Hills Resort
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Walton-On-Thames, United Kingdom
“Comfortable, spacious condos close to the slopes”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Rented 2 x 2 bedroom condos for myself, family and friends 2nd week in January. An e-mail to the resort 4 weeks before arrival was good enough to negotiate adjoining condos. Main purpose of holiday was to ski, so with plenty of snow there, we were not disappointed. Nearby Horseshoe Valley Resort (5 minutes drive) is ideal for intermediate skiers but 1 week there lost its challenge for the experienced skiers in our group. Good value ski rentals and lift passes, though. Most of the slopes were open and uncrowded (never had more than 4 people in front of me for the ski lift lines).Try the great snow-tubing hill for something different.
The Carriage Hills Resort condos were extremely spacious, well equipped and comfortable. A huge king bed in each of the huge bedrooms and a jacuzzi bath in the master room. Everyone in the family managed to get connected to the free wi-fi except me, but their connectivity was a little intermittent. The only negative about the resort was the half hour wait in the check-in line. We'd only travelled 2 hours from Toronto airport but others had been on the road for several hours more, so the wait in line at resort reception (which was too small to accommodate all arrivals), tested the patience of some.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The only two maintenance problems we encountered (a wobbly table and no pilot light on the fire) were dealt with extremely efficiently. We loved the gym (although any more 5 people using it felt overcrowded) and the indoor/outdoor pool and outdoor hot tub, which were a novelty to bathe in when its snowing and -10C!
The nearest town of note was Barrie (25 minute drive) or the smaller (and prettier) Orilla - both with big malls for 'retail therapy' shopping and restaurant choice. However, groceries and booze could be bought 10 minutes from the resort at a Foodland store in nearby Craigshurst. We only tried two 'local' restaurants and recommend both: Settlers Ghost Golf Club (small, but with excellent service and delicious, not-too-expensive food), and the Crazy Horse (located in the heart of the Horseshoe Valley ski area and which was ideal for a hearty lunch).
I'd love to go back to Carriage Hills Resort but not to ski - to golf! There seemed to be sign posts for golf courses everywhere and the terrain looked ideal. I won't choose January, though.

Room Tip: If you're travelling in a large group and want adjoining rooms, just contact the resort a month...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Tara W, Manager at Carriage Hills Resort, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Keith M,
Thank you for taking the time to review Carriage Hills Resort. It is wonderful to learn you took advantage of the terrific snow conditions this season at neighboring Horseshoe ski resort. Further to your comments about Wifi, the service here is not consistent and we're always trying to find way to improve this. Thank you for recommending Settler's Ghost and the Crazy Horse for dining out, this will surely help future guests.
Thank you for being our guest, we are very hopeful you will come back to enjoy the golf!
Tara

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I discovered this jewel in the Medonte Hills in 2010 and I always go out of my way to stay there when travelling through Simcoe County. It is quiet and peaceful. The facilities are wonderful and it is close to all sorts of recreation. The staff are all local people and are polite and extremely accommodating. There are activities for young and old alike and they are very well organized. The beds are extremely comfortable too.

PG

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank PGOttawa
Tara W, Manager at Carriage Hills Resort, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Dear PGOttawa,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent and past stays at Carriage Hills Resort. We appreciate your business and the opportunites you give us to welcome you back when travelling through Central Ontario.
Mississauga
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Have been going up to the Horseshoe Valley area for years and to this resort since it was built. Have seen it in all seasons and the facilities remain one of the best satisfying experiences close to the GTA.
The Highlands Golf is challenging and beautiful and the skiing, both alpine and cross-country, is contained in a proximate area to be both invigorating and challenging.
This is all capped off by a terrific recreational facility with pools and hot tubs and great accommodation close to everything.
When we go up we are always greeted by the staff orientation with lovely Leslie and her crew who provide splendid and professional service and they always have something new up their recreational sleeves for us.
Keep up the good work group!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Doug W
Hello Doug W and thank you very much for your comments! It is wonderful to learn you have enjoyed what our area has to offer in every season as well as our on site recreation.
We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back. Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 12 February 2014

my boyfriend & I had a chance for a quick get away and Carriage hills was our choice. We have been there before and the experience has always been a good one, so we went back. We had time this visit to spend time at the pool and hot tubs. A great way to relax. We had Susan the RMT treat us to massages in our room after skiing at Mount Ste. Louis for the day. Discounts at Mt. Ste. Louis when you tell them you are staying at Carriage HIlls. This year Horseshoe has decided to give no discounts. Tried snowshoeing for the first time, as it was offered free on the activity schedule, so much fun to try something new. The guides Chantal and Leslie were awesome and made trying this new sport an adventure. Also got to meet other guests. No restaurants on site but with great kitchens in your suite we cooked most of our own meals, but ate at Settler's ghost one night. Again a discount menu if you tell them you are staying at Carriage hills. Definately a great place to visit even if it was a shorter stay this time. Rooms were very nice, well maintained. New pool towels are nice and bigger - you had in a pool card just like when you are down south. lots to do in the area with skiing at Mt. Ste. Louis and snow tubing at Snow Valley. Tried a couple of new activities - a medition/medium class and a couples massage. Nice way to treat yourself after skiing or snowshoeing. Will definately be back to try the summer months with hiking and golf.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, I like a 2nd or 3rd floor so I don't have kids above me but all good. I...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank taurusthebull14
Tara W, Manager at Carriage Hills Resort, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear taurusthebull14,
We appreciate the time you took to write this detailed review. You have listed so many of our fantastic activities on and off-site with some great tips for guests about discounts. We are pleased you enjoyed the new pool towels and you tried snowshoeing. Your comments will be shared with our team and we are very hopeful you will return this summer.
Thank you for being our guest.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Had the great pleasure of staying at Carriage Hills again. My family and I always enjoy our time there. It's like visiting old friends as the staff are wonderful and caring. Leslie and the rest of her Activities team staff keep us busy with aqua-fit, snowingshoeing classes and so much more. The desk staff at the pool building are so helpful they become your best friends for the week by making you feel welcome and giving you suggestions on what to do at the resort and in the area. I had accidently left my watch in one of the lockers one evening and the desk staff had it waiting for me when I came in the next morning to let them know I had lost it. My only regret is that I can 't visit more often. Love the indoor/outdoor pool and its fun to sit in the outdoor hot tub when its snowing. Keep up the great job Carriage Hills.

Room Tip: The one bedrooms have a full kitchen and that saves huge on not having to go to restaurants for all...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Samantha M
Tara W, Manager at Carriage Hills Resort, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Hello Samantha M,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and sharing tips for future guests. We are very pleased your watch was returned quickly and you enjoyed interacting with our activities team. The examples you describe are part of our Count On Me environment. Most importantly, we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Caledon, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

My boyfriends family has had a timeshare here for over 10 years. My boyfriend and I decided to come the weekend before valentines day for a vacation. We didn't want to use his mothers time so we paied the full price, which was nearly 400 dollars. The firs night we arrived we used the outdoor hot tub. As I was getting out the pathway was EXTREAMLY icy and I fell and bruised the side of my leg, my shin, and had 2 gashes on my feet that were pretty deep. When my boyfriend helped me inside the lifeguard had no first aid kit. All he had was a few band aids. I went back to my room and called the next day to explain more about the incident and the manager Leslie for that department couldn't have been ruder. She claimed shell resorts has good lawyers and that the incident was my own fault. I didn't even threaten to get lawyers involved, and she was extremely hostile about the whole issue. I was more concerned that other people could get hurt. Since we've been coming here for years I at least expected some hospitality. She offered no reembusement for our stay, even though I was so badly injured I couldn't even leave the hotel room. She did not express any concern at all, and rather acted like I was some kind of criminal trying to rip them off or something. She wouldn't let us speak to a manager above her, we had to spend hours on the phone to get a hold of shell resorts since so no on this resort wanted to help. They all were pressuring me to sign forms saying I wouldn't sue basically, with no regard for others that could get hurt. Very dissatisfied with this stay,and I reccomend if you want a place with good hospitality where they care about the guests that you should go somewhere else

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sasha f
Tara W, Manager at Carriage Hills Resort, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear sasha f,
Thank you for taking the time to provide detailed feedback about your stay. Your business is appreciated and the comfort of our guests is paramount. We are sorry you felt you did not receive a hospitable response.
Milton, Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2014

All I can say is my expectations were most definitely exceeded. My 1 to 2 week planned stay ended up as a 4 weeks. I was accommodated regardless of my change of plans, and extra time at the resort.
If you are looking for a to have your room made up each day, this is not going to happen. I believe you would get light cleaning and standard cleaning in a week, twice only. Yet I am certain they would accommodate your specific needs.
However the hotel has everything you will need to keep everything in order. Washer/dryer, vacuum, all the possible cooking pots, pans, dishes... what you don't have you can get through the guest/member building. I was interested in having a group over and it was not a problem finding a caterer with the help of staff at Carriage Hills.
What can I say. Really great staff, inside and outside.

Room Tip: Try the one bedroom. It is worth he extra. If you are eating out it doesn't really matter so muc...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MHyacinthe
Tara W, Manager at Carriage Hills Resort, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Hello MHyacinthe,
We appreciate that you took the time to share details of your stay with us! We are delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay and we have shared your comments with our associates. Thank you for including tips about housekeeping and local dining to help future guests.
We appreciate your business and hope to welcome you back soon.