“Flying Monkeys Brewery...Just DO it!”

Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery
Ranked #1 of 5 Food & Drink in Barrie
More attraction details
Owner description: Leading Ontario's Craft Beer Revolution, the Flying Monkeys brew award-winning beers in their unique waterfront brewhouse right in Barrie’s historic downtown. Known as one of the friendliest, most hospitable tours around, experience for yourself the world of craft brewing. Come on down anytime and enjoy any of our 16 draught beers and fresh local foods in our Tap Room.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Comox Valley, Canada
117 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 791 helpful votes
“Flying Monkeys Brewery...Just DO it!”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

If you are thinking of visiting the Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery in downtown Barrie, Just DO it!
What a wonderful place, almost magical; excellent beers, fantastic staff, clean as a whistle, free tours available, everything as it should be.
For the past 4 years my girlfriend Colleen and I have visited each Canada Day and make a ritual of sitting and enjoying 4 of their beers for only $5 bucks, awesome deal.
But more important, it's a reprieve from the hustle and bustle of the world; we sit and savour their hand-crafted delights in a blissful air-conditioned environment.
Come see how these folks have changed an old brewery into a world-class micro brewery, right in our own city!
Pictures below are from today's July 1st celebration, but do visit and make your own memories.
Cheers,

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Worth a visit.”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I had been to this brewery before and was not able to take in the tour. This time I was able to take in the tour. The tour guide was informative and engaging. She knew the product well and was able to answer questions with ease. The tour is not long - about fifteen minutes or so. It provides some history of the area and some insight into the company. I would suggest showing up about a half hour before the start of the tour to take in the shop and sample beer. In all I spent about an hour there and enjoyed the experience.

Visited February 2014
Ottawa, Canada
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Mmmmm....beer!”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My partner and I along with our son and his SO took the brewery tour this summer. We were quite disappointed when we showed up 15-20 minutes before the scheduled tour and were told we had missed the "tasting" and had to be there earlier. Oh well! We were told that if we purchased a glass we could have a free fill (not in the glass we purchased) so we did that. We waited until the time the tour was to begin and then a wedding party showed up and took over to do their wedding photos. This may have been scheduled but the staff seemed surprised. Our tour was delayed until the wedding party finished with photos. Why not give us the tasting at that point?

The tour itself takes around an hour and many parts are quite interesting however it drags overall. Too many boring parts and explanations that aren't really needed.

The brewery itself is quite small but they produce good quality beer. I have tried a number of Flying Monkey products since the tour and liked most of them. This is not your usual run-of-the-mill beer since most have significantly more flavour than your typical beer.

If you are ever able to find Flying Monkeys BNL Imperial Chocolate Stout (which I doubt) you HAVE to buy some. This is an excellent product. I call it dessert beer. Unfortunately I did not buy enough when it was available and have used all mine up.

If in Barrie and you have an hour to 90 minutes to kill take the tour. Just be aware that you have to show up quite early since the tasting is well before the tour. In my opinion they should do the tour and then have the tasting.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Gutch2
Barrie, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Different, whacky, wonderful”
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

If you only like standard, domestic beers, do yourself a favour: pop in to this eccentric brewery and expand your pallet. The energetic staff, free samples and brief tour make the flying monkey experience enjoyable. I've been on too many long-winded brewery tours, which makes the 20-minute efficiency of this one the best I've been on. They spend a good deal of time discussing their experiments with flavours.

Speaking of flavours, they produce a few core brews and often have seasonal and whacky varieties. We once tried their bubblegum beer. Sound crazy? Crazy like a fox! Delicious and different.

Michigan
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Very small”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

After reading the reviews on tripadvisor, I was disappointed in this tour. It is a very small brewery and really not much to see. The whole tour took about 10 minutes and we waited about 30 minutes for it, as there was only one a day at 2PM. Of course we did a beer tasting while we waited, which was fun. They have several different beers. The whole place is very small!

Visited September 2013