“EXCELLENT FISH & CHIPS!”
Review of The Clarkson Pub - CLOSED

The Clarkson Pub
Price range: US$7 - US$23
Cuisines: Canadian, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours
Description: The building was built in 1870 and opened as the Clarkson House. It became a notorious spot for vacationers to stop by and enjoy the beautiful view of the water. It is also known that for some time, the Hotel was a one-dollar hot/cold bathhouse, with a gentlemen’s only lounge. The Clarkson was a local favorite place to drink and socialize in Barrie. The business had a name change in the early 1980’s and remained under a different moniker until we re-opened as the Clarkson Pub on June 25th, 2012.The pub has been completely updated, while maintaining the building’s history. Although things have changed greatly since The Clarkson House was first opened so many years ago, the pub continues its well-known tradition of excellent service, fine pub fare, and welcoming atmosphere. We are located at the busy intersection of Dunlop and Mulcaster Streets in downtown Barrie. We are a full service gastro pub, open seven days a week for lunch and dinner. We have strong intentions on becoming one of the leading live entertainment venues north of Toronto, with an emphasis on promoting local acts as well as nationally renowned musicians. We are a licensed establishment with an interior capacity for 161 guests and an exterior capacity for 118 guests. We have two stages at the Clarkson, one inside in the West wing and one outside in our heated and enclosed patio as well as an in-house PA/Sound System.
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I read a review of this newly renovated "Clarkson Pub", downtown Barrie along the waterfront, along with an ad for their $9.00 Fish & Chip special.
So me, Colleen and Laura ventured over and amazingly we all ordered the same special. WOW, were we ever pleased!
They offered the fish either pan fried or deep fried, both excellent, with your choice of chips or greens. Washed it down with some Keith's Ale and Palm Bay Coolers.
Our server Jon was charming and delightful, and the decor and cleanliness was first-rate.
We WILL return for more great food and lively ambiance.
I recommend you visit The Clarkson Pub, whether you live here or you're passing through!
Cheers!
Paul

1  Thank Paulshappy

Reviewed 11 October 2012

This newly opened pub is sure to please. Great decor, welcoming staff and delicious food. Def worth a visit! I'll be back for sure!

Reviewed 9 October 2012

Last Friday I met some friends after work at the Clarkson Pub, I noticed the sign for the feature of the day -- Penne Pasta -- decision made, this was my order and it was fabulous!

Reviewed 4 October 2012

Whenever I walk in The Clarkson I feel very welcome and at home. The staff always welcome me by name. The food, service and atmosphere are all fantastic! I will be back a lot in the very near future I'm sure!

Reviewed 2 October 2012

It was my wife's birthday and we were looking for somewhere different to go for dinner. We are getting tired of all the franchise restaurants that are beginning to serve the same things and there is really nothing that makes one stand out from the other. My wife then remembered the Clarkson Pub had recently opened so we gave it a try. I'm so glad we did. Our server Angela greeted us with a comforting smile and quickly brought our drink order. She was very helpful guiding us through the menu options which are a mix of pub fare and more fine dining.My wife chose the Loaded Beef Dip which came with caramelized onions and wild mushrooms on a French baguette and fries. Loaded is right. Lots of fresh roast beef piled up on the baguette. She also ordered a Caesar salad with came with a fresh made dressing, not bottled. Hope you like garlic.I ordered the Steak Frites, a grilled AAA NY strip loin served with a port wine demi and crispy fried onions served with house cut fries and sautéed market vegetables. I ordered it medium rare and that is exactly how it came. Nicely seasoned and super tender. And what a surprise for the market vegetables. Fingerling carrots, beets and Brussels sprouts. I have never had this combination in a restaurant but what a tasty flavor explosion.Overall it was a great meal. Comfy atmosphere, super service, super food. We will definitely be back.