“Connecting with the Spirit of Sangoma”

Spicers Sangoma Retreat
Rome, Italy
“Connecting with the Spirit of Sangoma”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

The Spirit of Place is alive and well at Sangoma. This intimate retreat situated on Bowen Mountain is truly a haven for harmony and peace from the time you step out of your car to the time you leave on Sunday afternoon after a beautiful brunch ! Zenga and Michael have created a retreat that speaks to the 'soul' in search of quieting the mind from your day to day busy life by providing you with a no hassle weekend. All meals are beautifully prepared and presented with no stress of wondering what to pick even on the menu as all food is delivered to your table fresh from in season harvest. We stayed in the new TENT which takes glamping to a whole new level. One of the delights was opening the sliding door fully whilst lazing in the bath listening to the birds and feeling as though you were in nature as it surrounds the whole tent site. A beautiful chandelier is placed stategically above the bed which sets a romantic scene with luxurious pillows and throw adorning the bed. No expense has been spared to ensure your comfort. A stocked minibar with a French bottle of Champagne and chocolate completes the scene.

I would recommend Sangoma for anyone who feels the need to nourish the soul and bring harmony back into their life - even if only for the weekend !

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
sang0ma, Owner at Spicers Sangoma Retreat, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Thank you for such a beautiful heart felt review ,we loved both of your company and wish you every success for your build .We will be keeping tabs on the progress !
Z@Mike

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 4 April 2013

It's like a title for a love story. We do love Sangoma!
Or, more intimately, it's like opening up your wardrobe and dicovering a favorite coat you havent worn for 12 months and realising it still looks like new, still feels amazing and is importantly still in fashion. Then, putting it on naked and walking out into the street, liberating! WOW!
Sangoma will excite you, enliven you in ways your routine day to day lives naturally suppress.
Actually, this doesn't do Sangoma justice its more emotional than that. It's like kissing your loved one one night and waking up to how much you are really in love each and have been to complacent to show each other, POW!
Its time to give Sangoma another big smooch, mwah.

Driving through those gates is better than a re-awakening, it's like a rediscovery. All familiar but so much more special than you remember. Ahhhhh love!

On our arrival with very good friends, Andrea and I looked at each other and smiled, we were back in a sanctuary and so excited to share its beauty and magic.
I regret, in some selfish, childish ways writing this. I want to keep Sangoma a secret, SHHHHHH. But that isn't what Sangoma is about! Sangoma is a secret breaker, it's impossible not to talk about. It's an affair you have with another place away from reality. Eventually, you have to fess up. I think it's that witch doctor magic.
The beauty of Sangoma is its intimacy. It is where you have a love affair with a place, the hosts, and your loved one. It is exclusive! There is everything to love there and much love given to those who really want to open their hearts and minds.
It's the place of guilty pleasures. Long languishing massages, to strange music, that somehow take you away to a sensual relaxing place where you indulge yourself in everything, you.
It's the place of fanciful stories, ones you make up for yourselves, ones Michael makes up for you, ones he shares with you if you are lucky. Its a place to lose time!

Sangoma should mean, escapism to another world. a world that is better, that simply ignites the imagination. Nothing embodies this better than the delectable and truly moreish pleasures of the plate that must be enjoyed. They are foreign and exotic, they ignite passionate discussion, they are recipes of magic concocted by the master culinairst, Zenga.

Sangoma will never go out of fashion, this is a place that the timeless desire to indulge yourself is perpetuated. Whether you liken it to the discovery of your old coat or, a medicine for awakening your inner self, you will go there with one thing in mind, to escape. Through those gates you will find exactly that, escape, but at what cost???

No wonder we felt the way we did at the end of our stay. With a little of Michael's magic and Zenga's potions, we left feeling alive but already craving our next fix!

Room Tip: There isnt a bad room at Sangoma, but you must try the tent! Its just a little more exotic and in a...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
sang0ma, Owner at Spicers Sangoma Retreat, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Gerv and Andrea !What beauty on a page ,you write like poets and are treasured guests .......what can one say to such a beautiful gift except
THANK YOU !z@Mike
Reviewed 3 April 2013

This trip to Sangoma was our first and not our last. 15th wedding anniversary and very busy lives, stress blah blah, need to take a break and celebrate... Little did I know what this trip would mean to us. Trips away often lead to happy memories afterwards and beautiful photos to admire but Sangoma is different, you enter a whole new world and experience something you will never envisage anywhere else!

On the way to Sangoma you drive through Sydney's streets/motorways and wind your way up through the burbs towards the mountains and your mind begins to relax as you hear less traffic and start hearing bell birds and wonder where the winding roads will take you, what is around that next corner? Are we there yet? Your GPS finally says "you have arrived at your destination on the right", your heart skips a beat, you're excited and can't wait to get inside. A massive electric gate greets you with a large sign signifying that you are really there. Press the button and you're in. Michael greets you with a georgous hello over the intercom and you announce yourselves and hey presto, the gate opens to heaven on earth. Now drive through the gate and make your way up the very steep driveway, round more corners (feeling ever more excited, heart pumping) and you see a few cars parked and Michael standing at the entrance with Pundah (BIG and very lovable Rhodesian Ridgeback) waving to greet you. You're home and let the good times commence.

Michael immediately welcomed us with open arms and we were at peace and so comfortable. There was no stuffing around with checking in, keys, credit card as security deposit, none of that crap, he had a great natter with us and drove up with the quad bike and trailer to unpack the car. He then took us on the most splendid tour of the Retreat. Its just stunning - walk in through the main entrance to the home and you're fallen down a hole (like Alice in Wonderland as I've seen a previous reviewer say) and you're in that world. Mystical, magical, warming, homely, full of tenderness, caring, and you're a kid again, You want to touch and feel every texture, everything under your feet, examine everything through new eyes and you long to explore further down the hall. The main entrance of the home has a stunning large red "Alice in Wonderland" chair and an amazing piece of stone that is the shape of Australia. And that's just the beginning. Walk past the Lady Boy toilet, LOL. If you don't get that at the beginning, then don't bother coming here. Then you get to cuddle Pundah, Gryffn and meet Zenga working his butt off in the kitchen preparing your amazing meals for the long weekend of 4 days. What a couple they are! Michael showed us around the entire main house and Zenga described the evening meal for us without giving too much away and left us be with Michael to explore our surroundings and suite. More pats with Pundah and Gryffn before saying many "WOWS, OMG" before being lead down to the Chief Suite, which is just down from the main house but extremely private. Michael showed us around the entire suite letting us know how to use everything from blinds to TV to where the utensils in the kitchen area, and then he left us to explore ourselves and shout out "WOOP WOOP, we are here".

The Chief's Suite is AMAZING and massive, as are all the suites and all individually decorated in their own way and by no means on top of each other, they are quite separate. You will want to touch and feel everything in the suite. Such beautiful artwork, sculptures. Run up and down the stairs and experience it all because we did, This suite will excite you, it has everything you need and more. Kitchenette complete with Sidchrome tool chest which holds all your utensils, pots, pans (which I guarantee you won't need), beautiful big TV with blue ray player, great sound system, comfy couch, massive deck with private sun lounges (very cosy) and heated plunge pool (make sure you take a dip no matter what season and go in as naked as the day you were born) then go upstairs and while you're on the way up there pause for a moment and gander at the lights in between the floors. The top floor is beautiful with a large comfy elegant bed and very beautiful chairs with ottoman, then look to the left and experience that open plan bathroom. It is simply jaw, dropping. I have never seen such a large bath with ummm a chandelier above it, very decadent, very 6 star, very sexy!! Open rain shower just behind the bath with vanity to the left and private loo behind that. Its breathtaking having a shower/bath there - you feel naughty, sexy, exhilerated. Just do it!! You won't regret it. Our suite felt like we were in an African game lodge in the middle of the bush complete with Australian flora and fauna instead, no lions here!
The evenings are spent generally spent with drinks at 7.30 with all the guests mingling together which is really nice as you get to know each other even for a short time. Michael will serve you a drink before dinner and some canapes before dinner is served at 8pm. Something funny I asked about the dinner attire - Zenga said "PJ's or Pearls". LOL. Dinner is served either inside or outside depending on the weather and the food is divine. Zenga is a self taught chef and he belongs on Masterchef The Professionals. He truly is very talented and all the meals are explained before he serves them and he takes the time to visit each couple to explain and see if everything is OK with the meal. Believe me, you won't want lunch (which isn't included), breakfast and dinner is plenty. The meals are truly to die for. So many delightful textures within the meals – I’m not giving too much away here, just experience it for yourself. Foods that you will have never tasted before and will want to try again, but I dare say you wouldn’t conquer Zenga’s cuisine. It’s a set menu but different every day and fussy eaters beware, you don’t get bacon and eggs for breakfast. Dinner is usually over by about 9.30pm and its wonderful to say night night and retire to your suite, light the fire and catch a movie or listen to some music. The boys have a great library downstairs which has a great selection of movies, books and CD’s. Plenty to choose from especially if you get a day when the weather isn’t too crash hot.
Your days are spent at your leisure, wander into Kurrajong if you fancy, take a bushwalk around the property or surrounding district, hang about the pool and have a swim, sunbathe, play with the pets, anything or just simply do nothing at all.

Breakfast is usually between 8.30-11.00am so there’s no rush, just wander up there when you wake up, Zenga and Michael are waiting at any time for you and will make it fresh as you arrive.

One thing I would whole heartedly suggest is that you go with the Ka Huna massage while you are there. This massage will blow your mind, very different, sensual, restful, relaxing and you feel like a new person at the end of it and I guarantee you won’t want to do a damn thing afterwards. The masseuse is very talented and caring and she will certainly work her magic on you. Both my husband and I cried afterwards, it was that amazing.

I realise that I have written an essay but I believe that I have written a very thorough review of Sangoma. The worst part of the stay is that you have to leave, but trust me you will return. This place is ideal for those of us who work and live hard and need to just stop for a second and take a break from everything and everyone. We all need it and deserve it. Do yourself a favour and visit, even if its just once in your lifetime. This place is perfection. You won’t regret it. We are already in the process of booking our next visit for New Year.

Both Michael and Zenga are the perfect hosts and make you feel a part of their family and you will feel so welcome. They are such interesting men who have held brilliant careers, tossed it all in and created something from their hearts. Well done....

I will end this review with an email that I sent to the boys the night we returned home and they suggested I use it as my review, but I needed to add more (MUCH MORE!!):

Well what on earth do or can my husband and I say!!!! We are home now having felt that we have been at Sangoma for a week, not a weekend.

I really just wanted to say from the bottom of our hearts that we had such an amazing time there and it was everything we expected and more, the atmosphere, the sexuality and sensuality of the place, the invigorating spirit you receive, the way you feel like you’re a kid again exploring, the warmth from your family, the Ka Huna massage, the privacy, the laughter, the tears (and there were quite a few of them), the undying emotion this place exudes, the FOOD!! You are nurturing your body back to a place where many people never let themselves get to or should be. And the music was amazing also, such beautiful classic singing jazzed up with Adele, Sting etc. You are amazing men and should hold your heads up very high and be so damn proud of yourselves. The world doesn’t know what its missing with you two. Such caring and thoughtful people you are. I will always remember this time at Sangoma in my body and my heart as one of the best times of my life. I’ve stayed overseas in so many big hotels/resorts and you’re just a number there, they don’t give a stuff about your well being, they should come and stay with you and take a leaf out of your book.

Room Tip: Pick any of the suites, they are all as luxurious as the others, the Chiefs Suite would be fantastic...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
What a review !Thank you guys ! Its the most comprehensive review i have ever seen .......it makes us really have to up our game even more .
We are completely;y humbled by your commitment to Sangers and are in your debt !
Z@Mike
Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

This was our second visit to Sangoma and we were blessed to be able to stay in the gorgeous tent suite that is newly built and absolutely stunning. This is glamping at its best. The tent suite is extremely spacious and has luxury furniture and fittings. I surprised my partner for Valetines weekend and he was so pleased that I had chosen the tent suite as it felt secluded and close to nature. The bush outlook is amazing and you are so close to nature that you forget you are only an hour or so from Sydney.
We have stayed at several other "glamping" sites across NSW and this would be the best by far. Michael and Zenga are wonderful hosts and it always feels as though you are visiting old friends when you go and stay at their retreat. We invited friends with us for the weekend and they agreed that Sangoma retreat is truly a special and memorable place that you must visit at least SEVERAL times in your lifetime ;)

• Stayed February 2013
sang0ma, Owner at Spicers Sangoma Retreat, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
You guys are amazing ,we totally enjoy your company and really and truly did not expect anything from you .BUt it really means a lot so ta ! Lol z @ Pod
Reviewed 25 March 2013 via mobile

The following review was written by my wife - I am still in a trance unable to write sensibly.

I decided to take my husband to Sangoma (the Tent Suite) as a surprise for his 60th birthday and we had a weekend we will not forget! What pleasure and delight! We cannot wait to go back.
The tent may not be everyone’s choice, but we felt, for us, it was ideal. We LOVED the ability to be so close to the bush – the Tent Suite faces the river valley and is surrounded by bush so that you have the illusion that you are back in deep time, especially in the silence of the night. You are aware of the bush through the big panoramic gauze windows of the tent making it a little edgy (until I remembered that there are no elephants or lions out there). It was deliciously cosy in the very comfortable and firm bed, complete with extravagant décor. You are in the wild, but enfolded by absolute luxury. What a clever illusion! Half tent, half tree house, the suite has been expertly constructed, somehow reminiscent of the wizardry of a Cirque du Soleil experience: sumptuous, yet sparse too, ridiculously creative, full of delightful detail. It creates the phantasy of being on an African-Australian-Asian safari. We were not sure whether we were on a yoga/ zen retreat, or in an African game lodge or in an award winning spot - or in heaven! Like all memorable places, it was a bit like a home-coming not only to the beauty of eucalypts and the Blue Mountains region, but also as a homage to the serious and sensitive creativity of the creators of this space, Michael and Zenga, both gifted aesthetes.
Michael and Zenga are both professional, constantly attentive to all their guests, zany, open, very warm and welcoming. We felt like honored guests, but also like treasured, old friends despite never having met them before. It was clear all the guests were given this royal treatment. Punga, the ridgeback complete with beaded African collar, was constantly gentle and affectionate (how big IS that dog?!).
Michael’s masterful and complex cooking is an experience, like the whole of Sangoma, so much so that there was an emerging chorus at the end of the weekend for him to compile a cookbook. The food was arrestingly delicious, very healthy too, joyous eating - causing my husband to close his eyes at times in a taste reverie.
Everything at Sangoma seems to delight the senses …. And warning – when you leave it, you are going to long to return immediately to the aesthetic sensitivity, the vivid flavours and the warm friendliness….
Of course, there were a few minor intrusions of reality - as in every near-perfect experience… a barking dog in the distance at night, a bite from a mosquito to remind you of a little bit of pain in this immersion in pleasure, the initial discomfort of sharing an intimate weekend experience with strangers, but, hey, given the above, as well as the lovely bush walks that are easily accessible via a short ride, we wholeheartedly give Sangoma a YES because it WAS near-perfect. The best part for us on leaving was that we had been away for two days and it felt like we had had a two week holiday. The other huge bonus is that it is only one and a half hours away from the heart of Sydney. We were home in no time feeling younger, fitter and completely refreshed.
The Tent Suite may not be for everyone but if you like ‘weather’ – immersing yourself in the sounds of nature, experiencing the wind, the silence and noises of the bush, and maybe in other seasons, even the rain, or heat (all of which can be somewhat modulated with the use of flaps, zips, heating). Give it a go. Of course, we were blessed with sunny, temperate weather which made the tent perfect. By the way, the massage was superb, easing weariness of body, heart and spirit away…. Need I say more? Except to say, we left curious and eager to return to experience another season – autumn under our belt, now what about winter, we thought… dreaming now of winter at Sangoma.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Graham J
sang0ma, Owner at Spicers Sangoma Retreat, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Graham and Kristina ,We are so grateful to you for giving us this valuable trip adviser review .And what a review !!! An essay ,beautifully crafted and nothing left out .thank you so much .
the only think i hope you dont mind me mentioning for the sake of accuracy is that Michael is the host with the most and i am the old cook in the kitchen .I am sure people will be kind enough to realize this is just a slip of the tongue .Michael did make breakfast for a while and is a total m,aster when it comes to eggs !

please come back soon ,we felt really sad when you drove out and take care !
Zenga
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Michael and Zenga (and Punda of course) Jay and I had the most wonderful weekend away and are busily coordinating our next visit in July for my birthday. Thank you for your incredible hospitality and creating the perfect setting for our 11th wedding anniversary.

We loved every part of our stay, the Resort and scenery is breathtaking and our room an absolute joy to stay in - we felt so relaxed the minute we drove through the gates to be greeted by Michael who is the absolute perfect host. Zenga's food is divine and we are still discussing which meal was our favourite (think we safely agree too hard to pick the winner as we loved every meal)! The decor so unique and has inspired my latest purchase; a set of horns - thanks for the shopping tips!

We have found our weekend sanctuary only an hour's drive from Sydney and cannot wait to return! Congratulations on creating the perfect escape from life!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
sang0ma, Owner at Spicers Sangoma Retreat, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Jay and Paula !THANK YOU !so much for your divine tripadviser review !It really gave us a buzz and right now we are in need of a pat on the back as our backs are sore . We loved your company and really hope you become a regular !
lots of love
the boys !
Reviewed 2 March 2013

This was our fourth visit in 4 years and we have now tried all the rooms including the new chief suite... which is absolutely superb. Zenga's cooking was fantastic; Michael is the perfect host and the Punda ( the cork chewing dog) as friendly as always. With the rain falling gently through the mist, the fire place crackling and cool fresh breeze blowing, there was absolutely no reason to leave the cocoon of luxurious comfort of our room. A perfect weekend to unwind, read, have a swim, listen to music .... We'll be back!

Room Tip: All the rooms are superb so take what ever you can get. The chiefs room has two levels which is nice...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
So sorry its taken us all this time to respond to your generous praise and encouragement Arron .We totally love every minuet of your company !Come back soon !Regards
Zenga And Michael
Hydro Majestic Blue Mountains
The George Boutique Hotel
The George Boutique Hotel
#3 of 5 in Blackheath

Been to Spicers Sangoma Retreat? Share your experiences!