“More like visitng family”

Spicers Sangoma Retreat
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is the only place I have stayed at around the world where you feel like you a visiting family as opposed to paying a business for accommodation. This is of course on most part due to the owners and staff.

My partner and I came to relax from ongoing health issues (my partner) and the weekend provided the getaway that we needed, mostly due to the care that we received from Michael and Zenga. Even though we didn't leave the room much, and you don't need to as they are all amazing (especially the Pool Suite which we stayed in).

We couldn't make dinner one night so they gave us a takeaway container so we didnt miss out. It was like visiting mum!

And you don't want to miss out on any of the meals as they are all amazing. Can't wait to come back!

Reviewed 24 July 2013

It's been a month since I came back to the world I think of as " Not Sangoma". A whole month where my every whim has not been catered to, a month without a Siamese cat in my lap purring his way through dessert, and a month where I have had to live in the real world instead of the perfect fantasy that awaits me even now in Bowen Mountain.

Cast your eye over the hundred or so Tripadvisor reviews that come before mine and you will see that I’m not the first person to lapse into a reverie when attempting to describe the Sangoma Retreat experience. It lends itself to rhapsody and a sudden loss of ability to use short, sharp sentences.

Perhaps I should start at the beginning. I found Sangoma through a Facebook ad that promised I would find the perfect couples retreat. Intrigued, I delved a little further to discover a place so self-assured that they offered only a few suites, did not cater to children and provided a ‘take it or leave it’ gourmet menu for all. Something about that level of confidence made me think that I had found hosts who believed they could give their guests something very special.

In the weeks leading up to our weekend I must confess to becoming a Sangoma stalker. I think even Michael and Zenga were somewhat taken aback by my verging-on-creepy knowledge of their lives, pets, property and history. Michael even said that he hoped they could live up to my expectations.

I knew I would not be disappointed long before I stepped foot on the property and within a few hours I realised those boys could turn Sangoma into a cult and I would be the first to enter the compound.

Of all the amazing moments I experienced on that glorious weekend, I keep flashing back to one simplistic moment. Filling the beautiful (and gigantic) Philip Starke bath tub with rain water and the sweet smelling salts positioned at the tub’s edge, sliding in and spending two glorious hours reading while the sun went down over the valley and watching my partner curled up in an armchair opposite the fire. Bliss.

That moment was just one of many afforded to me at Sangoma Retreat. Everything is easy there; everything is taken care of so well. You only have to think of something you need and like magic, it’s right where you wish it to be.

Since returning to the real world, the first thing we did was book another weekend (just one month away, praise the gods), and the next was to begin redecorating our home in the sumptuous style of Sangoma so that we will never be too far away from paradise.

Room Tip: We stayed in the glam pool suite but they are all lust-worthy.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
sang0ma, Owner at Spicers Sangoma Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2013

The best review we have ever received .......thank you from our hearts bottom !!

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Words fail to capture what was an unforgettable, unbelievable and life changing experience at Sangoma Retreat for my partner and I (all for the right reasons!).

Just a short drive from Sydney we soon found ourselves lost in the magical landscapes of Bowen Mountain and subtly experiencing an element of Africa .

It was here that my partner proposed to me. Not knowing what to expect on this occasion, within minutes, we both soon realised that Sangoma Retreat was an out-of-world experience and a moment in time we will never, ever forget

Michael & Zenga the hosts, are some of the most beautiful people you could meet which added that special element to the experience. The beauty of the surroundings, the genius of the food, the kindness of the hosts and the stunning architecture and composition of the place is truly hard to put into words.

Thank you so much to Michael & Zenga for creating such a beautiful experience, you sincerely have a unique, special place!

Lisa & James

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

thank you so much !

Reviewed 22 July 2013

From the moment we drove through the gates of Sangoma, we knew we were in for a treat. Zenga and Michael warmly welcomed us to the retreat as if we were guests in their own home and the entire stay was an absolute pleasure. Sangoma is an exquisite gem, just a short drive from Sydney but feels a million miles away from the city. The styling makes you feel as if you're on a luxury South African Safari; you feel immediately comfortable and at home.

I stayed overnight with a group of colleagues and I can tell you we all left feeling as if we couldn't remember eating as well, sleeping as deeply or staying in such beautiful accommodation in Australia.

I cannot recommend this highly enough - thank you for having us.

Room Tip: Stone Suite
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank champagne_kate
sang0ma, Owner at Spicers Sangoma Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

This is Fantasy trip adviser review . We could never imagine it was about us ,not in our wildest dreams . Guests that truly "get" Sangoma ,are the very special people who have empathy for the work that goes on behind scenes to create the Sangoma Magic . Your shared experience is all we ask for in our guests ..... Thank you.
If we had a rewards club ,you guys would become life members without paying the joining fee . We loved your company and are excited at your imminent return .
love
the (old )boys .

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We booked all 5 suites for our annual company vision day which gave us free roam of the entire resort. We spent quite a bit of time researching the venue online and on Trip Advisor but we were still absolutely blown away by the resort when we arrived. Not only did the facilities far surpass our expectations, but the hospitality and service shown to us by Michael, Zenga and Sam was amazing and all 3 of them played a huge part in the overall success of our vision day. Last but not least, the food was an out of this world combination of home cooking and 5 star luxury, we left every mealtime with both our taste-buds and our waistlines fully satisfied. We ate every meal at the communal dining table which further enhanced the intimate feel of the day and the resort. It is so hard to sum up just how great this place is and just how amazing our experience was, as adjectives just don't do the place, or the management justice. We will definitely be going back for our vision day next year as I just can't see how any other venue could surpass the experience we had at the Sangoma Retreat.

Room Tip: Stay in the "Tent" suite for an unforgettable experience.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
sang0ma, Owner at Spicers Sangoma Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Dear Sir Neil ,Thanks so much for your generous trip adviser review . We are actually looking forward to your companies return with a feelling of great excitement and will be counting the days . A wonderful team ! Thanks once again
Z , Mike and Sam .

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Sangoma retreat is a utopia for soulful relaxation! The food is delectable and the aesthetic created by the talented Michael and Zenga is incredible. Everywhere you look there is a beautiful harmony created between the sculptures and nature. The room was amazing - the bed and bath both so comfortable. We will be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in the stone suite which was amazing, but all the rooms are set up for privacy focussed aw...
1  Thank MedusaInLove

Two very sweet people from Canberra ,thank you guys so much for the wonderful review . We totally enjoyed your company and it was a pleasure to be of service to you both Please come back soon !!! Love Mike Zenga and Sam !

Reviewed 19 July 2013

My partner and I would like to thank the team at Sangoma for such a wonderful weekend away. My partner who had turned 30, was delightfully surprised when he figured out where I was taking him for the weekend.

Words really don't do Sangoma justice; it is simply one of those places where you need to experience the sheer magic for yourselves. As a result, I have highly recommended Sangoma to my brother and his partner and many more people who are wanting to escape whatever it is that is creating stress in their lives.
Michael & Zenga are truly amazing men who go well beyond their duty to make everyone feel remarkable. They are both warm, compassionate, funny, witty and intelligent hosts. No request was too big or too small. They really made you feel like a part of their family.

Sam's (the chef) hospitality was highly impressive. I have a great feeling that he will do excellent in his career now that he has been given the opportunity to do so. Ladies, he's rather nice on the eyes too (I hope he doesn't mind me saying that hee hee).

The resident pussy cat and puppy are a pleasurable addition to the team at Sangoma, Very friendly and warm to all their guests.

We stayed in the Stone Suite and the view was incredible - surrounded by nature, very private, yet close enough to the main cabin. The interior decore was beautiful. We love the wood fireplace in our room. So romantic and cosy. The food was amazing as it challenged your senses and gave us an opportunity to try something different every night, that we would not usually have thought about. Each day and evening it felt as though we were arriving for a breakfast/dinner party with family and friends.

The only problem we encountered was we did not want to go home!! We felt very welcomed and looked after, almost as if we had known the team at Sangoma for a long time. I believe the word Sangoma means "Witch Doctor". Well, Sangoma certainly made us feel better, and we would very much like to visit the Which Doctor again some time soon. Thank you guys for an amazing experience.

Room Tip: There are a few suites to check out, each offering a unique experience. I suggest you have a look a...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowen Mountain
#5 of 15 in Katoomba
The George Boutique Hotel
The George Boutique Hotel
#3 of 5 in Blackheath

Been to Spicers Sangoma Retreat? Share your experiences!