“A magic potion for body and soul”

Spicers Sangoma Retreat
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I am still under the spell of Sangoma since my two night stay at the Retreat a week ago. I rank the retreat to be one of the most desirable places in Sydney for a well deserved break.
My experience there was simply beautiful and magical. The Bush Suite excelled in every way. It became my dream abode and perfect retreat because it was luxurious, aesthetically pleasing and very relaxing and private.The exterior was like an architectual scuplture, hugging gently and quietly on a slope and sheltering under the canopy of angophoras.
While the 5 star interior satisfied my want for comfort and luxury, the beautiful nature around was endlessly inspirational and nurturing for my mind. I felt the peaceful energy from the sensational sunrise, the emerging trees...with their chorus line of rhythmic trunks...to the precious few white lilies blooming with pure smiles!
The beauty and magic of Sangoma would not be complete without the passion, warmth and hospitality of the owners/hosts, their very attentive and friendly staff and the gorgeous pets.
My sincere thanks to Sam, the chief, for his youthful and delicious food and juices, Zip,my friendly listener, for his polite and attentive service, and Michael and Zenga, the owners who are the main force behind the whole experience, for their intelligence, talent, skills and humour.
The way you used all the ingredients to come up with this magic potion was absolutely amazing.
You all deserved the accolades bestowed upon you. Congratulations for all the great reviews and high praises.
Love to write more...I save that till my next visit.

Room Tip: Each of the suite has its unique attributes while they are all amazing.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank avalonkwong
There are newer reviews for Spicers Sangoma Retreat

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We just got back from the most amazing place. We can't say enough about how wonderful our rooms were. We never shut a blind or curtain. It was wonderful to be amongst the outdoors and to be able to shower without having to worry about someone seeing in.
Zenga and Michael were lovely hosts. Zipp was fantastic as was Sam's amazing meals. Every meal we had was to die for. Thank you again for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janet F
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I would just like to say a massive THANKYOU to Michael and Zenga. My husband and I just loved being there to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. I would like to thank Zip and Sam who made us feel so comfortable it was like we were at home. Sam is an amazing cook and Zip is so welcoming. Also, I would like you to know, Michael, how impressed we were when you saw someone was dining alone and you sat and joined him for dinner. That was amazing. Thanks again for the great experience and we are looking forward to a whole new experience when we come back in winter

Room Tip: If you are looking for complete privacy, pick the Chief Suite. It has it's own plunge pool.
1  Thank Michelle W
sang0ma, Owner at Spicers Sangoma Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Zip and Sam are so thrilled at the acknowledgement ,thank you so much guys !

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We just spent the weekend at Sangoma Retreat for my 40th birthday. No children, no work, no mobiles, no noise. All we had to do was relax.

We would like to thank Michael, Zenga, Zip and Sam for making our stay memorable. You really have created a beautiful environment and we were so lucky to share it with you.

The food was sublime and we loved every mouth full!

The little touches were also appreciated. Our privacy. The food in the mini fridge. The conversation. The time to chill.

Thank you.

Paul and Michelle

Room Tip: We loved the Stone Suite. We didn't get to see inside the other suites but would probably choos...
2  Thank Mpeg36
Reviewed 23 February 2014

It has taken us over two years to get back to this magical place for our second visit and we saved it for our wedding anniversary. Being greeted by Zenga and Michael was like returning home to family after an extended time away; they are so gracious, warm and welcoming. We booked the Bush Suite this time and loved the peace, luxury and tranquility of the elevated bush setting. We stayed in the Stone Suite last time which was equally special... in fact all five suites are individual yet comparable in their luxury. We were so excited to be back, we were like kids in the candy store and eagerly anticipated the food that lay ahead as that had been a highlight last time. It certainly did not disappoint...Every course, dish and morsel was delicious, unique, considered and deserves a hat or three..Another major highlight was the kuhana massage by Jay in the new massage tent... think nature singing, cascading water softly outside and the most amazing massage I have experienced... bliss!!! If you like bushwalking there are some great tracks close by and all in all you leave feeling a new person/couple... having escaped the craziness of daily like into this sanctuary that satisfies all the senses. We were so sad to leave but know we will be back again. We miss you already...Thank you to the whole family that is Sangoma xx

1  Thank Jennie C
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Sublime "of very great excellence or beauty, unparalleled". Relaxing, the way words can not describe.

I love traveling, making sure I enjoy the best food a city has to offer as well as staying long enough to feel like I experienced the city/town/village. However nothing compares to the combination of sheer relaxation and excellent food I experienced at Sangoma. Michael and Zegna are humble, perfect hosts who have built a slice of heaven within a couple of hours of Sydney.

Zegna's food is so incredibly delectable that it almost feels like I am doing it an injustice by mentioning how healthy it is. I can't think of another chief that has shown me that I can eat food that a nutritionalist would be proud of, whilst not compromising at all on my 3 Chiefs hat standards in taste.

Michael's passion and purpose to ensure that as a guest you remember your time there as being one of the best in weekends in your life is evidenced in the almost 100% perfect reviews they have received from all previous guests. He has mastered the big picture and the detail.

...And if you are like me, a perfectionist wanting the best, don't worry every room will provide you with the perfect space, privacy and environment for your perfect weekend....resolve to let go, I promise you won't be disappointed.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Becstar_traveller
sang0ma, Owner at Spicers Sangoma Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Rebecca ,what a gift ,your insanely generous review left us both touched moved and inspired to do better . We totally enjoyed your company and both commented on how lovley it was to receive a review from someone who wrote showing their intelligence
And style . Thank you for such a special gift ! From the boys .

Reviewed 26 January 2014

As one of the recent reviewers says what is there to do but repeat the praise already bestowed on this wonderful place ?
I think I will not repeat the obvious attractions of this retreat but simply try to answer the question why this place is not just good or very good or even excellent but exceptional and very special. Well the clue I think is the food which is prepared with obvious passion and is very tasty, often complex and multilayered.
So to get to the point : the magic of the place is a reflection of the owners personalities and passion. I cannot guarantee everyone will feel this but judging by the trip advisor comments almost everyone does.
It's not often one has this feeling, and so my wife and I can only express our gratitude.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
#5 of 15 in Katoomba
The George Boutique Hotel
The George Boutique Hotel
#3 of 5 in Blackheath

Been to Spicers Sangoma Retreat? Share your experiences!