“Very Pleased”
Review of Kalays - CLOSED

Kalays
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Attire:Casual Payment Options:Visa Mastercard Parking:Parking Lot Price Range: $$ (10-30) Services: Takes Reservations Walk-Ins welcome Good For Groups Good For Kids Take Out Catering Waiter Service Specialties: Lunch Dinner Coffee Drinks Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/KALAYSSEAFOODRESTAURANT
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I just had my second meal and I can not wait until I return. My first visit was for lunch- the seafood chowder was amazing and the waitress was so friendly it made me want to return. Last nights visit seemed even better. This time I had my husband and my brother from Halifax- we were not disappointed. The Fisherman Platter was delicious and the Lobster dinner was thoroughly enjoyed by my husband. Thank you very much Kalays and we look forward to our next visit.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

My family and I were up visiting my Mom and Dad and took them out for dinner here. They had been once before and had nothing but great things to say about the whole experience. I love seafood and we don't have a lot of great seafood restaurants where we live. Our party of 6 arrived just after they opened for the evening and we were seated right away. The food was excellent and the portions were perfect. We will be back for sure the next time were are visiting my family.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

We are a military couple and have eaten here quite a few times, hoping it would get better but it's not. Very disappointed as we have always given a new place a few chances before quitting and going elsewhere. The fish and chips were much better at the Boathouse. Won't be going back.

1  Thank Debbie G
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Both my husband and myself are from NS. We were super excited to try this place out. Atmosphere was nice and staff were very friendly. My husband ordered the Haddock and fries. Which when arrived the batter was soggy. As for myself I will pretty much pay any price for good Clams and chips. If they are good. I was beyond excited to find out they served real Clams(full body) not Clam strips. Clam strips to me are a waste of time. When the server set my plate down I looked at husband and said really? I was soooooo disappointed. I know what a full body Clam is. This is not what I got. There were like maybe 3 that were just a touch bigger then a Clam Strip.
I specified I wanted the full body Clam and if this is what you are passing off as such ummm WOW. We will not be back.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

Six of us (three couples) went to Kalays last evening (Thursday) for a good seafood dinner.
We picked Kalays because one couple had dinned there before and recommended it. The
other couple were good friends of ours (the husband a former chef). First let me say what
was good about the place. The restaurant including the washrooms was very clean. The
waitress did a good job and the Seafood Chowder was very good.
They should however tell you they are locking the doors at 7:30 when you make a reservation
for 6:45

I will now list what was wrong with the meal.
1 - My Chef friend ordered the halibut and his whole meal was so small it looked like an
appetizer. You could fit the whole meal into the palm of one hand. The two pieces of fish
were about 1“ wide maybe 3” long and tapered down to a point. It looked like little end
pieces of leftover fish or somebody had flayed a guppy. This meal was so small that I was
embarrassed that I had invited this friend to come with us. His wife upon seeing his meal
immediately cut her steak in half and but half on his plate.
2 - My wife and I ordered the surf and turf (steak and lobster tail). The lobster tail was quite
good but the steak was a joke. This whole steak was about ¼ inch thick with a lot lo grizzle
in it. This is not an exaggeration, there was not one part of either one of our steaks that
would measure ½ “ thick anywhere. We both enjoy a good steak but agreed that we would
have been better off with a ground beef patty than this excuse for a steak.
3 – When my wife and I go out for a good meal she very much enjoys escargot as an appetizer.
It was on the menu but they did not have any. (the waitress said the escargot fisherman
had not shown up). I'm still not sure if she was joking or not.
4 – I had an appetizer that was probably one of the worst value in food I have ever ordered.
Lobster stuffed mushroom caps – this was four small mushroom caps with a flavored
cream cheese in them. I did not see or taste any real lobster in them.
When you see this listed on their menu it looks good but for $13.95 you do not expect to
get 4 tiny mushroom caps that probably cost them less than $1. to make the whole dish.

This is the first time that I have ever written a review of anything and we probably should
have pointed out some of this to the waitress. I guess none of us felt comfortable doing that.
It 's pretty sad when each couple pays over $100.00 for a meal and you leave the restaurant
hungry.
Four of use stopped at a fast food joint and got a burger on the drive home.

1  Thank Rick H
Kalays S, Owner at Kalays, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Please accept my apologies for this unfortunate dining experience at Kalays. This is definitely not the quality of food that Kalays prides itself on. Please allow us the opportunity to make this right for you and your guests. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you further regarding your experience so that we may learn from this and ensure that it doesn't happen again. It would be very much appreciated if you would email me your contact info so that I can contact you directly to discuss this further. Sincerely, Lisa (owner)