“Starter Salad”
Review of Kalays - CLOSED

Kalays
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Attire:Casual Payment Options:Visa Mastercard Parking:Parking Lot Price Range: $$ (10-30) Services: Takes Reservations Walk-Ins welcome Good For Groups Good For Kids Take Out Catering Waiter Service Specialties: Lunch Dinner Coffee Drinks Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/KALAYSSEAFOODRESTAURANT
Belleville, Canada
“Starter Salad”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

True, it is not on the main drag, but it is worth the search. Particularly the scallop salad that started the meal for me. I am a great fan of scallops and have enjoyed them around the world. The introduction into a salad, however, with actual cucumber slices and tomatoes that matched the volume of lettuce was a very pleasant surprise. Restaurants should take a tip from the "less lettuce" approach. even if they have to charge more to compensate for the additional expense. Good job guys.

• Visited June 2014

Bowmanville
“Excellent downeast cuisine!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Excellent little restaurant in Belleville, Ontario. Was recommended by a family member and decided to check it out. Just a small restaurant but clean and really pretty. A little off the main street and might be a little hard to find if you don't know the area but worth the search. Extensive menu with lots of choices from down east. I ordered the beer battered one piece fish and chips (haddock) which came with a choice of soup or salad. I had a Caesar salad. My husband had one piece fish and chips but his was panko breaded and he had a garden salad. All the food was extremely delicious and the portions were huge (see pictures below). The Caesar salad was the best that I have had in a restaurant in a long time. The beer batter on the fish was thin and not greasy. The fries were excellent. The service was friendly. The bathrooms were clean. What more can you ask for? Definitely a 'do again'. Would recommend to anyone.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Newfygirl_Ontario
Belleville
“Dinner”
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Had the halibut for dinner. Root vegetables as a side were delicious. Perfect. Service and quality was second to done. Enjoyed Sandbanks wine.

Visited May 2014
Plainfield, Canada
“Decent food, bit pricy and not fresh made”
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Way better seafood then boathouse. Went to the store connected to the restaurant after placing my order for food to see if they had sushi grade fish to make sashimi with. While in the store I saw the chef pull out a lobster roll that I just ordered from the display fridge. Then I was served this exact same lobster roll in the restaurant for over double the price. Was obviously not fresh. Will not go back. Their rental room looked really nice for a private dinner b

3 Thank Dmatrix X
Kalays S, Owner at Kalays, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for your review. Our lobster rolls are made fresh at least 3-4 times per day. We make a few at a time as required and they are sold from our display case in the retail store and supplied to the restaurtant. All product for the restaurant comes from the retail store; For example, if you ordered fish the chef would have got it from the display case as well. This ensures our meals are made with the freshest product available which is what sets us apart from other restaurants as you mention. As per normal, there is a higher price between purchasing a prepared food to take home and heat up yourself or having it prepared for you in the restaurant. Also, your meal in the restaurant includes extras such as fries and coleslaw which is the reason for the price difference. The price from the display case is for the lobster roll only. Your experience is our normal procedures . The retail store supplies the restaurant with all fresh seafood they require to prepare the meals. My apologies if you expected something different from a Fresh Seafood Restaurant.
Belleville, Canada
“Excellent feast”
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

I had the halibut and fries. The halibut was lightly battered and not greasy at all. Fries were just right. Could not finish all my fries though I tried. My wife had the blackened haddock with root veg. She said the haddock was perfectly cooked. We will return.