“Very Good Chinese Restaurant But Narrow Chairs”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of China Gate - CLOSED

Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
New York City, New York
“Very Good Chinese Restaurant But Narrow Chairs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

We checked TripAdvisor for highly rated restaurants and decided to try this one while in town. The Won-ton soup was excellent with a light, smoky flavor and just a touch of ginger with very fresh won-tons. A nice surprise to find large pieces of pork at the bottom of the bowl, too. We each ordered an egg roll and they were light, delicate and not at all greasy. An interesting duck sauce was served with it. We split a Sizzling Szechuan Chicken entree which was very good, and we liked the flavorful sauce (which was not greasy). Our waiter was personable and attentive. Prices were reasonable and the atmosphere was casual and pleasant. The only negative would be the 'captains' chairs which were rather narrow between the arms. I'm kind of a large woman, and the chair was almost snug, but I would imagine anyone who is very overweight might be very uncomfortable in one of those chairs.

Visited December 2011
2 Thank simonelegare

Marmora, Canada
“Best Chinese food in Belleville”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

My wife and I went for dinner on Sept.22/11. The decor is rather dated, but it's the food that counts. My wife and I had egg rolls, lemon chicken, sizzling beef supreme and coffee, and it was excellent. The portions are generous and piping hot. The service was fast and the staff were polite. In our opinion this restaurant serves the best Chinese food in Belleville. Our bill (before tax and tip) was just over $30.

• Visited September 2011
3 Thank JMC002
Toronto
“The best Chinese food I've had in years!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

I went back to Belleville to visit during the Thanksgiving weekend and dropped into the China Gate. I used to go there years ago with my parents and have fond memories. I wasn't sure how the food would be these days, but I was very pleasantly surprised. For lunch, I had an egg roll, sweat and sour chicken, Guy Ding (sliced chicken with vegetables and whole almonds) and fried rice.

This was so much better than that stuff you get from the fast-food places at the mall. Everything was incredibly fresh and piping hot. The portions are generous but certainly not the "quantity over quality" that other Chinese restaurants serve up these days.

The staff are very friendly and gracious. Next time I am in Belleville, I will go back for dinner.

1 Thank CanTravelGuy