“Food was really greasy”

Swiss Chalet Rotisserie & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Swiss Chalet Rotisserie & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 194 Restaurants in Belleville
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Since our doors first opened in 1954, Canadian families have been coming back to Swiss Chalet generation after generation. Our rotisserie ovens only accept fresh (never frozen), grain-fed, Canadian Grade A chickens, because quality is all we know. So what will it be? A Quarter Chicken with fries?
Pembroke, ON
“Food was really greasy”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I tried out the newly renovated Swiss Chalet and the decor was really impressive. It's very sleek and nicely styled. I don't like extremely bright restaurants so it was nice to visit a place that was well lighted but not too bright. It was a calm and relaxing atmosphere. The waitress was attentive and nice. She recommended a new addition to the menu (a fish sandwich) that was huge! I had to take half of the fish off the bun to be able to fit it in my mouth. It would have been good if it wasn't so greasy. There were pockets of grease throughout it between the batter and fish. I had to dissect it in order to sop up the grease trapped inside.

Kitchener, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What have you done? Renovations are not an improvement!!!!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We pass thru Belleville once a year and have always enjoyed our stop at Swiss Chalet for lunch. However, this year on May 23rd 2014, when we stopped, what was once a bright cheery place is now a renovated dark gloomy spot. Where once the service was fast and waitresses were cheery and pleasant, now the service was poor, food was mediocre and the environment was depressing. We waited for a table, we waited to be served, we waited forever for our food, (one person got their food and was almost finished eating before the second person's food arrived only after hailing down a waitress to ask if or when it was coming), and we waited for our bill. The salad was not "fresh" and we were told that the salads are brought in, not prepared on site - what a shame! When we tried to pay our bill after another long wait, I hailed down three people who were going to get our waitress before she finally came. I asked if I couldn't pay at the counter and was informed that the waitresses must take the cash and she seemed too busy or inexperienced to be efficient. This was a most unpleasant experience and a dreadful disappointment after our previous years of enjoyment. This renovation is definitely not an improvement. We will never be going back to that Swiss Chalet!!!!!! And of course we will be relating our experience to all our family and friends.

1 Thank Betty B
Belleville, Canada
“Don't waste you time.”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Swiss Chalet has been closed since before Christmas 2013 or thereabouts. I have been by at least three time as my wife like the food but it is still closed, last check. I keep getting offers for different deals but I am not about to drive to the next closest Swiss Chalet just to get a small deal when there are places in Belleville that are just as good or better place to eat. In my opinion, I would think they could have built a new restaurant quicker.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank GarryFD
Belleville, Ontario, Canada
“Swiss Chalet...what have you done?”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The Swiss Chalet here in Belleville, Ontario just opened a couple of weeks ago, however, before it was closed, in January, I used to go for meals (dining in and take-out) 2-3 times a month for many years. I always enjoyed the great food. Last Saturday, May 17th, my daughter and her family were coming into town so I picked up my parents and met them at 11:30 a.m. Everyone at the table was complaining about the "bland" food. There is no "zip" to the dipping sauce...our french fries were full of grease and tasteless...cheap potatoes cooked in a low cost oil!!! I showed mine to the server and she brought me replacement fries but they were full of grease as well...I could see it!! The server told me Corporate is purchasing cheaper potatoes. My chicken breast had fatty skin on it which was uneatable and I was so disappointed because I love the skin. The only thing I ate was the chicken which was greasy as well. Everyone at my table was quite upset over their poorly made and tasteless food. It wasn't the servers faults!!! What the heck is Swiss Chalet doing? Did they think their regular customers wouldn't notice the poor food? Perhaps the people who hardly go to Swiss Chalet wouldn't notice but the rest of us, who have been going for years, do and it's totally unacceptable. When we were leaving the restaurant one of the employees asked how our meal was and I told her...she told me that they have had numerous complaints about the food. Do something Swiss Chalet or you are going to lose all your faithful customers. Meanwhile, I will relate my experience to all of my friends and co-workers...telling them that Swiss Chalet has "cheaped" out on our food and it's now greasy and tasteless!!!! Very disappointing...if they don't revert back to their original recipe and better caliber food...we will never go back.

1 Thank BeverleyM60
Port Charlotte, Florida
“The Swiss Chalet in Belleville - now has the WOW factor!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Swiss Chalet re-opened after a 4 month renovation - although many of us missed the great food and service - we sure were pleased to see this establishment become almost a high end dining room....yet still serving the best chicken in Canada...it was worth the wait. When you enter there is now a beautiful horizontal built in gas fireplace to greet you along with the always friendly hostess....the ambiance is now so fresh and modern - you will be amazed....dark wood booths and tables, lovely lighting...along with beautiful art work on the walls - I understand this is a test run to see if we appreciate the fine art.....I think we all will!! As for the food - I think it is even better....larger servings of chicken and fries....it all just seemed so much nicer to go to Swiss Chalet to combine great food with such a pleasant atmosphere. Well done Swiss Chalet! You should be very proud of the Belleville restaurant.

2 Thank marleyandmike