“Better value easily available elsewhere”

Residence & Conference Centre - Brampton
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Brampton
Orillia, Canada
“Better value easily available elsewhere”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

It's a student residence ... pretending to be an an hotel ... They are simply not equipped in several ways to function as an hotel. There are easily found better deals in the area for similar prices.

I would consider them a high end hostel ... BUT a low end 1 star hotel.

The hotel/motel space is a very competitive market ... it's very hard to compete on price.

The place was meant as a student residence and the extra rooms are likely only available because students won't live there or can find better accommodations.

There also seems to be a venting problem for bathrooms, leaving a fairly constant smell of urine in the room, but they may have been because the room was empty for a long period before.

Doesn't seem like management is committed to the "hotel" concept ... but rather just simply trying to recoup some money for unused space. So \i wouldn't expect it to have improved any since I was there.

The staff do what they can, but it's easy to sense their frustration. And clearly the staff has no real training in customer service or the hotel field. It is essentially run by students.

If choosing to stay there ... think student hostel, rather than hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank f z
ResidenceMGT, Manager at Residence & Conference Centre - Brampton, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Hello and thank you for your review.

I do appreciate your feedback, and always try to mend any issues a guest may have had.
Going on 6 years as the Sales Manager of this property in Brampton as well as Oakville’s, I have many compliments sent to me as well as a few challenges and appreciate them all.

First, I would like to mention, as the sole person in charge of all advertising and sponsorship and direction for the summer, we have never said that we are a hotel or even compete with local hotels. We are an alternative accommodation to a hotel, and never hide that we are a student residence from September to April.

In the summer we “flip” all the 2 bedroom suites into overnight accommodations after the bulk of the students leave for the season. The suites are clean, safe and comfortable, but nothing fancy. With the amenities we offer, like housekeeping (Towels, linens, soaps etc…), *continental breakfast for most groups, parking, high speed internet, conference space, etc, etc, etc…I could see where you could get confused that we are trying to be a hotel….but no, we are just trying to offer a unique form of accommodations.

I am sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay 110%, and would be willing to talk to you about it anytime. Please call me at 905-874-4393 and let’s chat, maybe I can have you as a guest next summer as well.

Once again, I appreciate your time to comment, and I am always around (in all ads) to contact if you do not feel your stay is what you expected.

P.S. For stays of 1 week or more, I do have accommodations right now if you are interested in Brampton.

David Carroll
Sales Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
newfoundland
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Stayed at the residence while visiting with my daughter so we could tour the college. We had trouble with our toilet not flushing very well, a staff member made a few attempts to fix the problem. The next day we were promptly moved to another room. A voucher for an extra nights stay was given for our trouble. On our last day, check out time was 11:00 a.m., however I was feeling very sick and our flight wasn't till 11:00 p.m. My daughter went to the desk and asked to use our voucher but was told to keep the voucher and feel free to stay the extra night if we needed.
Breakfast was fine as a continental, busses on the campus to go to shops, mall ect.
Rooms were clean, housekeeping came by each day, refrigerators are a bit noisy, at least in the 2 rooms we stayed at.
I would stay there again, clean and comfortable, no frills.

Room Tip: Choose a room with windows at the back of the residence, nice view of grounds.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank trigeminy
SheridanMGTDavis, Manager at Residence & Conference Centre - Brampton, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
I am happy to hear that you would come back to stay with us. We do try our best to make the guests' stay with us comfortable. I am sorry to hear that there were issues with your stay and if you do wish to come to stay with us again, please feel free to contact me at the property.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I had a great stay at the Sheridan Conference Centre. The staff were very friendy and helpful and went out of their way to make my stay comfortable. The room I stayed in was clean and comfortable. Great value and highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Laura Y
SheridanMGTDavis, Manager at Residence & Conference Centre - Brampton, responded to this review, 22 January 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your review - we are happy to see that you enjoyed your time with us. We hope to see you again in the summer of 2013.

We have upgraded all of our suite beds this past Winter and we hope to see you again shortly.

Should you have any further questions, or if you would like to make a future reservation, please contact us today!
Milton, Canada
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I had the unfortunate circumstance to have to stay at this place for 3 months while my new house was being finished.
I will say one thing...the staff is very friendly.
That is where the good part ends...sub standard maid service- often parts left unclean, like the sink & floors...often broken elevators...a/c would only work sometimes...and very uncomfortable beds.
On top of that...they demanded a $400 'damage deposit'...promised me it would be refunded upon check-in...and then refused to refund it to me- even though they said there is no damage. But they think they miscalculated my rent! (even though I paid every 2 weeks up front...at whatever price they told me it would be)

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank OttJoe613
SheridanMGTDavis, Manager at Residence & Conference Centre - Brampton, responded to this review, 19 October 2012
Hello,
Thank you for your Review. We value all the input from all of our guests.

We are sorry to hear that your stay wasn’t up to your standards. We are always working on improving all aspects of our business and your feedback is important to us. Please feel free to contact our management team any time as we are always happy to help.

Travellers are raving about these Brampton hotels

London, Canada
Reviewed 16 August 2012

This is not a "family oriented" hotel by any means. This is a student residence on a college campus. While each unit has a kitchen with a microwave and fridge, there are no utensils or cookware. The bedrooms do not have an alarm clock. There is a small tv in each bedroom.

The units are suitable for a short term stopover but be prepared for basic accommodation.

The cleaning staff do a reasonable job in keeping things clean, but my unit needed a thorough vacuuming as there were plastic bottle caps, candy wrappers and candies on the floor.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank ParFore16
I would like to thank you for your review and your input is greatly appreciated. I am sorry to hear that our rooms were not up to your standard. We are a student residence and during the summer months (May to August) we open our suites to the public and function as a hotel.

Please feel free to contact our management team at anytime as we are always happy to help.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I recently stayed at the Sheridan Residence and Conference centre because I had an early certification exam really in the morning and figured I would be up most of the night studying and instead of driving in from afar, staying right close to campus would be great. The place was good. Staff were really friendly and for a single person I ended up with a two bedroom suite. It's a bit outdated but for a simple stay it is great. The bathrooms were clean, and so was the kitchenette area that had a fridge and microwave. There were no alarm clocks in the room, so considering I had to get up early I brought one anyhow. The beds were comfy and the continental breakfast was good, cereals, breads, butters, coffee, juice and fruit. Good value for the money

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Starlax29
Thank you very much for your review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you again in the future.
UK
Reviewed 28 August 2006

Great value, especially for family groups - I was on my own, but still cheaper than other local hotels. Quiet location, within easy reach of downtown Toronto and the airport, and convenient for the wilds of the Niagara Escarpment. Microwave is useful (though lack of untensils irritating - I guess the local stores do good business as each visitor buys the basics) and daily housekeeping thorough. Friendly staff, very welcoming. Free breakfast is relaxed and much better than a lot of the 'continental breakfasts' offered by more well-known establishments. Free internet access in the lobby.

Definitely recommended.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank UKMIke