“Don't stay here!”

Brantford Hotel & Suites
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Brantford
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Arrived late on a Thursday evening for a 3 night stay. Room was extremely dirty and badly maintained. Floor was not vacuumed, accumulated dirt along every wall. Carpet was badly stained in many places. Bathroom was a disaster - bathtub was filthy and had mould all around the grout, toilet needed cleaned, toilet was so close to vanity had to sit at an angle, mirror frame broken and hanging off, wall heater covered in dirt, mirror on bathroom door very dirty. Found what looked like mouse droppings on desk behind coffee machine. Sheet had holes and bedspread was stained. Bedside table had only been wiped in front of lamp, phone and alarm clock, at the back, under these items there was a puddle of some fluid in which live larva were wiggling. The ground floor room had a sliding glass door to the parking lot, the handle had been attached in such a way that it sat at an angle and overlapped the door frame - this was the only security on the door. The room had paint chipped and wallpaper pealing off. When I complained about all of the above I was offered an "upgraded" room. This was exactly the same type of room as the one I had, but was somewhat cleaner. However, there was still some cleanliness issues and the microwave oven that in the first room had been on top of the fridge, in this one was sitting on the floor. Overall the whole hotel is very badly maintained. Front desk staff report that new owners took over a month ago and are working on upgrades. However, in the past month a lot more could have been done to address most of the cleanliness issues. If there had been anywhere else with space available I would have left!

Room Tip: I'm not sure there is a good room in this facility!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank CSML47

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

I was a guest of a friend attending another friends wedding. Upon entering the hall located upstairs in the hotel I was surprised at the lack of accessibility for disabled people, being that I am in that field of work. However I was quite impressed by the decor of the hall and the lovely way it was set up. Everything went well through the introductions, speeches, and dinner aside from a few complaints around ftom others that their meal was cold, mine was lovely. It soon came to many of our attentions that alot of tables were without wine, mostly the white (which we had to ask for and then found out that the new owner of this place had taken it and the staff could not find).
Throughout the night and trips to the bar it became evident that the one bar tender on staff was feeling quite rushed with the amount of guests but did a fantastic job of keeping up and interacting with all of us. She was amazing! The apparently new owner of this establishment stood behind her the entire night watching over everything with quite a scowl. This seemed very strange, meager, and honestly extremely inappropriate to me as a guest. Later on in the evening I even witnessed him arguing with the groom for some time, in what I could overhear of the music and talking as how much alcohol was to be provided at his "open bar" reception. ..... rediculous. And how sad of a memory to hold onto for your once in a lifetime best night ever event!
MY friend did not choose to book our hotel night here, which I can say I was more than glad of after witnessing what I had at the reception. I can only imagine the lack of service that would be provided to overnight guests given the stellar performance for the bride and groom.
If I were an upcoming couple planning to book here I woukd advise you to run away! Although I must commend the couple in the beautiful choice of decorations and ceremony, as well as the staff of this event for their tremendous service and dedication to work for such a rude man as this!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Muskokamary3
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights as there were no hotels available because of Friday 13th in Port Dover. To make a very long story short, we were locked out of our room more than once and had to get the key card recoded 4 times. The also had to call someone in to fix it. There were a pair of men's shorts hanging in the washroom. The restaurant / bar servers were very unprofessional. They ran out of draft beer, bottled coors light and then miller. When we ordered dinner, we were told they had run out of spaghetti. Who runs out of spaghetti? We paid extra to have a king size bed, which we rolled into the center of. Slept with pillows between us to keep us from rolling. The second night when we returned from Port Dover we went to the bar and we were told that after 10 pm they don't wait tables, you need to go to the bar and order. When we returned to our room that night, we were locked out again. Luckily the 2 other couples we were with had no issues. This hotel is poorly run and not well maintained. It doesn't even deserve a star. All we got from management was an apology.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tripvacationer
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Where to start? We got a family suite, which we were told was 2 rooms and a living room with doors separating them. Nope! it was one room with 2 beds and a "living room" We were traveling for a funeral, it was myself my Husband our 9 year old and our 2 month old My mom and my cousin, we now had 2 beds and a pull out couch to sleep on. my mom took a bed in the room and my cousin and my 9 year old took the other my husband and I took the pull out couch. The couch had white powder and other debris on the cushions, the entire middle wall had no electricity, our fridge was here and we have medications that need to stay refrigerated. when my mom called she was informed there was no staff. my husband found the breaker and had to fix it himself. we took the cushions off the couch to find the previous guests fried rice was all between and under them. I went to plug my phone charger into the plug behind the couch to find black olives behind it, there was a thick coat of dust along every surface. the ledge behind the curtains had dead bugs and a thick layer of dirt. we needed more blankets and pillows, so we called the front desk to ask, she brought us 2 sheets. we told her we needed pillows and blankets and were informed that they did not have any. we pulled out the couch to go to bed and the blankets that were on the bed were full of cigarette burns and other dirt. WE wrapped the entire bed blankets and all in the one sheet and we covered up with the other. we froze . we tried to shut off the air conditioner but the switches didn't work so we had to unplug it from the broken outlet that had the cover sticking out in every which direction. the pull out couch had 3 bars running through it and a bunch of springs, i felt every one. the next morning came and so did daylight, that is when you can see all of the dirt, there was puke or blood (not sure which) all over the wall by the bathroom. the tables were covered in old sticky messes. We checked out early the rooms were booked from the Thursday until the Sunday, we checked out Friday before noon. They refused to reimburse us for the rest of the stay, the owner said we refused their offer of other accommodations in their hotel. If they can't clean one room why should we move to another filthy room? They claimed to have just taken over and were renovating, renovations is one thing filth is another. we stayed here June 19th 2014 and will never ever stay there again. I have stayed in my share of hotels as we have family all over Ontario but this was the worst place i have ever been in.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 613Brandis
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This hotel was terrible! The ONLY thing they was good about this hotel was the friendly staff. When we arrived, we were completely grossed out by the back entryway into our hallway. Super old and super dirty. The hallway was gross and you could tell it was rarely vacuumed. Our room was FILTHY. Desk and night stand hadn't been wiped (crumbs and sticky pop can rings). Toothpaste in the sink. Ice bucket and coffee tray were both 'grundgy.' My daughter went to plug in her phone behind the nightstand and I couldn't believe my eyes....it had NEVER been vacuumed behind there (gross hair, dirt and garbage). There was a COBWEB (full of dust) between the bed and the wall at least a foot wide. A previous guest had spilled a pop (?) all down the leather office chair, down the front, back and seat and NO ONE had cleaned it up. Seriously, I could go on about the room but I an sure you get my gist. Our room was SO unbelievable that I actually called the manager to come see our room. She was visibly horrified but explained that she had only worked there a month and was doing the best she could (she was nice). They allowed us to use the ballroom upstairs for our team potluck which was just as dirty. There was food all over the floor and the tables were not wiped after they were last used. I couldn't even believe that a hotel that bad actually has guests (we stayed here with a team or we would have left). Many of the guests on our team had ANTS in their room. My biggest peeve with this hotel was that the staff SMOKED IN THE HOTEL!!! As soon as we walked through the doors towards the lobby, we were hit with a wall of smoke. Totally inexcusable for a non-smoking hotel. This hotel has so much potential.....if they just cleaned it up (the facility is huge with a pool, restaurant, ballroom) it could be a gold mine! As a hockey mom, I have stayed in many 'below par' hotels, not much really surprises me or grosses me out but this property takes the cake. I can honestly say this is the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: don't stay here!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank mommydaycare
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Bought a wagjag for $49 a night and stayed here.
The front desk staff was nice, when we were put in a room with no balcony they switched us to a nice corner room with two windows.
The pool was very nice but the towels were ripped and stained.
Beds were a little hard but there's lots of cushiony pillows.
Wifi worked well and breakfast was free. I'd stay here again on a similar deal.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Like a lot of the previous reviewers, my family stayed at this Quality Inn for a hockey tournament. We were charged $119 + tax per night for a room with 2 queen beds.
In my room, the mirrors were dirty, the tops of the furniture and the lamps were very dusty, the tray holding the coffee making items was sticky and dirty, the heater worked but sounded like a jet taking off from an aircraft carrier. The carpet was...old. The dresser drawers had dirt in them. The door frame around the patio door had water damage that was never repaired, and the floor was very cold in front of it. Other parents on the team commented on the following: one had no fridge or coffee maker, one had a heater that would not stay on, one found old food left in the fridge, card swipe/lock not working, etc. The hallways were dingy (poor lighting, needed fresh coat of paint), the restaurant was open but the lights were never turned on, a baby crib was left on the second floor in a nook, and it was dirty (and so was the nook floor), the outside perimeter of the hotel had no lighting at all. Our team was allowed to use the ballroom for our potluck, but only after the smaller room we were assigned was found inadequate (no chairs, garbage overflowing). The ballroom had obviously not been cleaned after the last usage; the carpet was dirty, there was garbage on and under the tables. We took the time to wash the tables we used and took our garbage away when we were done.

On the good side: the beds in my room were clean and comfortable and the server in the restaurant let me use her microwave to heat up my supper.

The hotel manager did talk to our team manager and seemed aware of all the issues, but she had just taken over and will work on it. It's obvious that this place has not been maintained at all over the last few years. A major cleaning would go a long way.

My suggestions to her, in the short term: have more that one front desk staff on duty during weekends when you are booked solid. You can't have the clerk leave the desk to help a guest, and not have someone to answer questions from other arriving guests. At least one housekeeper and one maintenance person should be on duty or at least on call, in the evening. And better signs so people can find the pool, the front desk and the vending machines.

In the long term: ...overhaul the building. This is not a $119 per night hotel.

Room Tip: Until the management does a complete overhaul, and for the price they charge, I would stay somewhere...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RachelMilne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brantford
Best Western Brantford Hotel & Conference Centre
#3 of 6 in Brantford
No photo provided
Davidson Motel
#1 of 1 in Paris

Been to Brantford Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!