“Room deteriorating offset by superb staff and nice restaurant/bar/view of the lake”

Waterfront Hotel Downtown Burlington
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Burlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 June 2013

The view of the lake and superb, friendly people are what I remembered most from my one night stay here. The only reason I didn't rate it a 5 is the rooms are aging a little with bubbled wall paper and some paint peeling in the bathroom. The beds were comfortable, the shower water pressure was great, and the internet was adequate. I don't get it when motel owners let a great place like this deteriorate. Seems to me all the hard stuff is done extremely well and it wouldn't be that difficult to make sure the physical condition of the rooms is maintained. That said I'll stay here again next time I'm in Burlington and I'm very hopeful the owners will realize the staff is doing their part extremely well and the owners should do their part by renewing the rooms. Sooner or later the rooms will deteriorate to where even superb service can't offset it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Jason S, General Manager at Waterfront Hotel Downtown Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Thank you for sending us your comments following your stay. We greatly appreciate your recognition of our "superb staff", comfortable beds, and other amenities. Property improvement is an ongoing effort from and by all levels associated with our property. To that end and on a daily basis we continue to identify and correct issues like the ones you raised in your review so they do not take away from your exceptional experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Waterfront Hotel.

On a side note thank you for making the time to contribute on a regular basis (over 50 reviews/27hotel reviews and 31 cities- WOW!.

There are newer reviews for Waterfront Hotel Downtown Burlington

Reviewed 21 June 2013

I nice hotel for a holiday. Hotel located beside lake Ontario, centrally located with eateries across the road. In-house bar serves by smiling waitress. BUT for a business travellers it is below par. The room Wi-Fi is snail pace, The only way I can get work done is to bring my note book down to the bar to surf the net and read my email. WIFI in the bar is good.
If one is looking for work in comfort in the room-- this is not the place.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for the review of your stay and acknowledging our location as well as our staff. We apologize for the performance of our wifi which along with our parking and Breakfast we provide complimentary to all guests understanding amentities such as these are essential to all travellers. I invite you to contact us directly prior to your next stay so that we may ensure proper performance and your ability to work within the comfort of your room.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

I reserved a room for my son in law's graduation and had it preauthorized so they wouldn't have to worry about paying as they are a young couple. When they got to the hotel they were told the credit care I used had been denied. Please note the credit card works fine, the staff had entered the information on the card incorrectly. My whole reason for prebooking was so the kids wouldn't see the cost. No apologies from the front end staff just passed the buck. Disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Jason S, General Manager at Waterfront Hotel Downtown Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Thank you for sending your comments regarding your son in laws stay. We apologize for any inconvenience caused to you or them by an incorrect credit card expiry date. We hope and believe that our initial efforts and direct follow-up helped to ensure the positive guest experience we aim to provide for all our guests.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

The staff were very friendly , helpful and courteous. The room was clean , spacious, bright and had a beautiful view of the lake. The property had a wonderful pool, hot-tub and fitness room which had easily accessible hours. For being right downtown and busy, the hotel was very quiet and safe. The on site restaurant, the Beaver and Bulldog has a wide selection of good quality food at reasonable prices. Breakfast buffet is included in your stay. The hotel is right on the water and close to all downtown ammenities. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and look foward to returning.
H Hunt

Room Tip: two queen or one king. Corner rooms are bright. whole hotel was quiet
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Your acknowledgment of our friendly staff, clean rooms, location and amenities including Resturant and complimentary breakfast are truly appreciated as our customers experience and comments are the motivation behind all our employees and their daily efforts.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

I've stayed at this hotel quite a few times and have mixed feelings. I found Dylan to be most personable and focused on customer service, but other staff less so. Rooms are adequate if a little impersonal, but clean and functional. Breakfast is dire. Dried-out, rubbery omelettes and the most awful sausage patties, or cardboard waffles. The Bulldog and Beaver pub which is an integral part of the hotel serves good food, but if your stay is a protracted one, the menu is somewhat limited, although there are other restaurants close by. I'd recommend the chicken-pecan-waldorf salad - it's gorgeous - and the restaurant staff are lovely, which is important when you're a woman travelling solo. Overall, I'd stay there again, but if they'd sort the breakfast out and make the staff (Dylan excepted) more customer-focused, then it would be great. One final point - avoid staying there when there are hockey teams meeting in the area. Some kids play hockey in the corridors and if you're trying to work or sleep in your room, it's impossible - although this isn't strictly the hotel's fault. Getting breakfast (however poor) during these conventions is also difficult, as the food vanishes as soon as it's put out on the counters.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Jason S, General Manager at Waterfront Hotel Downtown Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Thank you for acknowledging our customer service team lead by Dylan and ongoing efforts to improve and enhance our customer interaction. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with breakfast, noise levels and work interruptions during large tournaments. Please note our customer service team works extremely hard at attempting to limit these types of inconveniences for all guests and apologize if we failed in this instance. Please contact us directly prior to your next stay with us so that we may take appropriate action and limit these type of inconveniences.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

I stayed here on business for 2 nights at the end of May. The check in went smooth and I was in my room in no time. The first thing I do when entering my room is to put my luggage down and go and wash my face and hands after being on a long flight. I opened the soap and went to grab a face cloth. There were no face cloths in my room. Called down and asked to have some sent up, they were sent up right away. Before arriving at the hotel, I had enquired about a refrigerator and was told there was a $10 a day charge even if you need one for medical reasons, I left it at that as I wasn’t paying $10 a day for a fridge. Imagine my surprise when I found a fridge in my room. I had assumed perhaps they had put one in for me as I require one for medical reasons. One should never assume as when I checked my bill I was charged $10 a day. The room was in serious disrepair, paint peeling off the ceiling and walls in the bathroom, mold on the walls and ceiling. Lights in the main room were out or didn’t work. The sheets were not large enough for the bed and the bottom sheet kept bunching up whenever you moved. The comforter was washed and when it was dried the stuffing all bunched up in pockets.
On my second day, after returning from work I went to my room to wash my face and hands again and there were no face cloths. I called down stairs and spoke to a lady who was rude so in return I asked if it was the hotels policy to not provide face cloths to their guests. I had face cloths delivered in no time. It was at this time when checking my online account I noticed the $10 charge for the fridge. I called down and inquired about the charge as I did not ask to have one put in the room. I was told that I knew about the $10 charge and was ok with it. I knew about the charge but since was not ok with it did not ask to have fridge put in the room. Again I dealt with a lady who was not the friendliest person to deal with.
Checking out on my last day I went down to make sure that the $20 was removed from my bill and the people I dealt with on the last day were the friendliest of the bunch. They gladly removed the $20.
Would I stay there again, not unless they do a major renovation.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We apologize for the missing faceclothes within your room and thank you for acknowling the speed at which our mistake was corrected. We are also glad that the charge for the refrigerator was corrected to your satisfaction. The Waterfront Hotel is constantly looking for ways to enhance amenities and better your stay with us. We hope that you book again with us and enjoy the improvements that comments like yours assist us in implementing.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

I stayed here over the weekend for a wedding. The bride and groom had a block of rooms and we wanted to be with other friends staying here for the wedding as well.
The check in was fine, but the lady working the desk could have been friendlier. Upon entering the room I was disappointed to look in the bathroom and see paint chipping from the ceiling, the wall paper peeling, and lighting that is in major need of updating. However, the rooms were average size and the beds comfortable.
The real problem came when I figured out the AC did not work. When leaving for the wedding reception I told the front desk and they said it would be taken care of while my wife and I were gone. Well, it didn't get taken care of because we woke up through the night due to the hot room. When I told the lady (stacy) at the front desk, while checking out, about my disappointment she just said, "I will let someone know". Stacy was the same lady who lacked customer service skills when I checked in.
Overall, I would not recommend staying here in the future. Other friends who attended the wedding had similar feelings towards the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tourguiderich

Thank you for taking the time to send us comments regarding your stay. All comments greatly assist in correcting problems and ensuring that no other guests have the same experience. We are glad you slept well in our comfortable beds and apologize for those (since) corrected items in which you were understandably disappointed in. We hope to welcome you back to the Waterfront Hotel in the future.