“Great british-themed food!”

Cuisines: American, British, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 December 2012

British food often (undeservedly) gets a bad rap in my opinion - everybody that we have taken to the UK has been blown away by the the food. It's nice to finally see some of the really great aspects of british pub food brought into the Gastro-pub concept.

We ate dinner here on a Saturday night. The place had enough folks to have atmosphere without being too crowded or loud. We had made reservations and there was no wait to get our table. They have a nice selection of wines and beers (including Boddington's on draft, which is a personal favourite).

Our server was friendly and helpful, never far away when we needed anything.

For appetizers we had the soup of the day (potato and leek with bacon), baked brie in pastry with apples, vegetable samosas, and seared ahi tuna. All were delicious.

Main courses we chose were the lamb burger with tzatziki (very tasty and perfectly cooked), liver and onions with bacon (against really nicely prepared and presented with mash and seasonal veg), chicken curry (in true british "pub curry" style with flatbread and raita), mussels and fries.

The bill, including drinks was around $180 for 5 - we didn't have room for desert and we brought home a doggie bag, so portions were very well-sized.

A very nice dinner, true to the spirit of a gastro-pub. Definitely recommended.

1  Thank TravellingBritNY

Reviewed 8 December 2012 via mobile

I was expecting a little better quality of food. The beef in my pasta dish was a poor cut, chewy with a few solid pieces of fat. I would suggest they leave those out.

Atmosphere might improve if the place was jammed but tonight (Sat night around 6:30 - 7) it was very quiet. The place has high ceilings and is very spacious .... Felt like I was eating in a cafeteria :(

Value : average at best. $16 for the pasta dish which was nothing special.

Don't think I'll rush back. Prefer the food at Marciano's by far!

Reviewed 18 October 2012

2 friends and I, having heard good reports about this place, had lunch there recently and all 3 of us loved the food. I had the baked spaghetti squash with roasted vegetables and curry sauce and my friends had the Shepherd's Pie and the lamb burger. All 3 dishes were beautifully presented and delicious. Imwould return in a heartbeat. Next time I'm trying the lobster mac and cheese........

Thank Elena M.
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We visited at lunch time but we have been at night time too. The service could have been better, and the food was a bit slow coming out - but the food was good - the drinks were good and overall it eas very clean :)

Reviewed 4 September 2012

I've wanted to try this restaurant for some time now, and decided on a whim to do so on Labor day. Turned out it was a great decision. We had the grilled cheese and pulled pork sandwiches with sweet potato fries. Delicious!!!! I'm not a big fan of onions, but the grilled cheese had onion jam on it and it was fantastic. The onions with the maple syrup on the sanwich made for the best grilled cheese I've ever had. The pulled pork wasn't your typical bbq sanwich. It was made with a guiness bbq sauce that was subtle and sweet! Awesome. I'm a huge fan of sweet potato fries, and the ones at the Purple Heather didn't dissapoint. The chipotle dip it came with was fantastic too. I've got nothing bad to say about the food. I will definately be going back!!!!