“Won't refund for the $5 they charge for growler/jug”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Better Bitters Brewing Co.
Ranked #31 of 42 things to do in Burlington
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We really enjoy their “Headstock” IPA beer, and are curious to try their other IPA’s.
And the owner is so nice and talkative.

However, a couple of things annoyed me as a customer at their brewery:

1. Waiting for service. I’ve been there a couple of times, and it seems that despite multiple staff in the back, they can only allow one at the front to serve customers. That last time I was there, I had to sit and listen to the one person on cash answer the endless questions of a customer about home beer brewing. Then when the customer was finally done, and started to pull out his cash, he thought of more questions to ask. They then walked to the back of the store to continue their discussion on home brewing. That was brutal. I just needed to purchase some beer.

2. They do not give a refund for their Growlers. I purchased two Growlers from them to use at a party, with the intention of returning the empties for a refund. I’ve purchased Growlers from another brewery, and had no problem returning the large bottles for the $5/bottle refund. However, Nickel Brook does not give any refunds for these large bottles. This is despite the fact that it states ‘return for refund’ on the bottle. This is just bad business.
One employee suggested that I return it to the Beer Store. The Beer Store said they do not give anything more than 20 cents for a bottle.
Suggestions to Nickel Brook: When customers request to purchase Growlers, inform them upfront that Nickel Brook does not accept returns on their $5 growlers.

1  Thank product-of-canada
There are newer reviews for Better Bitters Brewing Co.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

They call themselves winexpert - but yet they don't seem to know the first thing about their products and product availability. I asked about a particular wine and was told they don't carry it, on my way out I picked up their Winexpert Guide showing the wines they carry and there it was. The wine I had asked about that they said they didn't carry was there in the guide! So I called and they still said they didn't have it, then I asked them to look in their guide. They backtracked by saying it was a new wine... (6 moths old in their guide). They have no people skills, I am not generalizing but basing my opinion on the staff that works there. They are often rude to customers who are bottling wine, treating them as idiots. The atmosphere is really not pleasant. Can't wait to get out of there the minute I get in. When you do have a conversation with them you can't seem to get a word in edgewise, they always talk over you. Don't waste your time with their win....ing!!!!!!!
This is their mission statement from their website. "Since 1991, we have quickly developed a reputation as a lively, friendly gathering place for our local patrons. Come in and try us today!"

2  Thank K M