“Fast & Friendly”

Ranked #195 of 471 Restaurants in Burlington
Price range: US$8 - US$12
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Canadian, Irish
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Grimsby, Canada
“Fast & Friendly”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I went for a business luncheon. The menu was typical for a pub and prices were reasonable.

The service was quick and the waitress was extremely friendly.

• Visited December 2013

Canada
“Try the Poacher Burger...”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Let me start by explaining that the Poacher sponsored my soccer team for over a decade, so I know this place very well. This is a pub so don't expect any fancy fair but the place makes a wonderful burger and is not expensive. The atmosphere is wonderful for spending time with friends or just grabbing pint. The Poacher is a Burlington Classic that has been around since I can remember. Enjoy.....

• Visited August 2013
Ottawa
“Good Value”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Went here with a couple of friends and sat outside on the patio. Very good selection of draught beer. I had the Shepard's pie which was delicious. We were served by Caitlin. Very friendly server. If you get her as your server, ask her how her bagpipe playing is going. I would recommend this restaurant.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Hilts
Burlington, Canada
“Typical English Pub”
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

Had seen the good reviews but was a little disappointed. The service was very good and the food ok. Burger was homemade but overcooked ... Dry. Our friend enjoyed her steak and kidney pie. Said it was excellent although to me it didn't look very appetizing. My wife had the mushroom soup that had too much tyme and was lumpy ... Pretty disgusting green conjunction. The patio is nice but at one end it is standing room only with smokers. It is obviously a "local" for many in the area. It is a reasonably proved English pub... What people want. I just thought the food could have been a bit better.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank WarningU2
Burlington, Ontario
“This was our home away from home.”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We are Gord and Betty Goodchild and spent many, many years eating and drinking at the Poacher. Mike, Janet, Dave and Coleen feel like family to us. My husband became very ill over the past few years and unfortunately our trips to the Poacher have ended. This pub has always reminded my husband of home (Watford, England). the food has been excellent, the staff friendly and the beer great. Next week my husband will be at Christopher Terrace Retirement Home in Respite care until he enters into a nursing home. My wish is that his friends from the Poacher will find it in there hearts to visit him as he always thought of everyone there to be his second family. My thanks and my heart goes out to all the staff from the owners to the wait staff to the kitchen and you have always made every visit to the pub a wonderful, friendly and enjoyable experience. We miss all of you and your kind spirit and one day when I have Gord settled completely I will be back. Thanks for all the wonderful meals, special Xmases and New Years and all the kindness and love that you have shown us both for many, many years. Yours sincerely, Betty Goodchild. Gord might not remember you after you are gone, but he sure will know you when you are there. He has spent the last 47 days at JBMH and will be in Christopher Terrace on New Street by the middle of next week, I hope you will come and remind him of all the good times and food and beer he shared with all of you. Perhaps I should tell you that he has Vascular Dementia, Vascular Parkinsons Disease, major heart problems, COPD, and many, many major medical problems. With all of this happening, a friendly face is always welcomed and the Poacher was his home away from home.

• Visited September 2012