“Reliable Pub Fare in Historic Galt”

Cafe 13 Main Street
Ranked #5 of 325 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Cafe 13 is located in a historic bank building in the heart of the Galt section of Cambridge. We provide fresh food using local farms and products to contruct interesting yet affordable dishes.
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We've been to Cafe 13 a few times--it's a reliable place to pop into for local beers and huge burgers. The shoestring sweet potato fries have been perfected: deep-fried crispiness and just-enough saltiness.
I went with my sister and her fiancee just before they headed to the KW airport. I knew the burgers would keep them satiated until Calgary--though they weren't brave enough for the Dirty Burger (bacon, blue cheese dressing, carmelized onions and deep fried pickles). I had the Cajun chicken club wrap--only because I'd already had two burgers this week. The garlic pesto wrap is neatly and tightly wrapped and grilled with a good ratio of romaine greens, crispy bacon, aioli and chicken. Though, the chicken doesn't scream cajun at all.
The amber Cranberry lager by Railway City in St. Thomas had an agreeable tart, finish. If you are committed to drinking good beers, the bar staff are eager and keen to share the tasting notes of what they have on tap.
Be sure to go downstairs near the restrooms to check out the vintage photos of the 1974 flood that swamped downtown Galt. And, ask someone about the oddities of the cafe--13 bar stools, 13 bar taps, 13 whacks to the headless torso. Yes, there are ghosts, tall tales and superstitions alive and well here. And, the best burgers in Galt.
Evenings are best to visit the pub as it can feel too dark and somewhat depressing during the day.
*From an early December visit I can also attest to the rich and savoury goodness of the Welsh Rarebit on offer. Hot melted cheese and Mornay sauce on a baguette is perfect winter's eve filler with a Mill Street Cobblestone Stout.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

It was great finding a cozy place with a gluten free menu. Too bad there are no gluten free desserts such as a chocolate mousse. I don't come to a restaurant to eat fruit...sigh...really?
But it was cozy for a date and warm on a snowy night.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

If you are a discerning adult then this is the only place to be in downtown Cambridge, bar none!
I often visit Café 13 not only for its selection of fine beers and ales but also, on occasion, for its sumptuous fare, everything I have ever sampled has been a delight...and believe me, I have sampled much.
Upon my last visit I was greeted, as usual, upon entry and took a seat at the bar, it was late afternoon and not wanting to clutter up an entire table by myself I decided to partake in some late luncheon where I was, this was apparently no problem at all and even though it was past four o'clock I was allowed to order from the bar menu.
After ordering the meatball sandwich I enjoyed a pint of my current favourite brew (Big Wheel) and before I knew it my sandwich had arrived, it looked up to Café 13's usual standard and tasted even better, I will definitely have another at some point.
I am never disappointed with the quality of food here and the service is always impeccable, whether I am popping in for a pint and a chat or dining out with a group, Café 13 is the only establishment in town with great food, service, drinks selection & ambience, a winner all around.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Cafe13 is a wonderful place for couples. My husband and I share my all time fav salad, have some amazing wings, and a few great local beers while enjoying each other company. I hate pub that are crazy loud and have huge tv's everywhere. I food is to die for. Everything is local and made fresh that day. I know this because I asked the owner, where I could buy the salad dressing and wing sauce. The restaurant has class and history!

Reviewed 13 November 2013

i once was a regular back in the day at cafe amazing food all the time the chefs were always thinking of new things, i went there the other day and noticed the menu got alot smaller and they stoped using local products i thought this was your whole push? Buy local eat fresh as i remember but i guess great things cant last forever mind aswell eat at milestones. But if you want a good but expensive pint this would be a place to go the bartender knows the most about craft beers if hes still there.

2  Thank centry21