“Surprisingly a disappointed weekend ....”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Royal Brock Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Guelph
Windsor, Canada
“Surprisingly a disappointed weekend ....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

We have stayed in many Best Westerns, Lamplight Inn London, Stoneridge Inn London, Kincardine Best Western just to name a few. Unfortunately our stay this past weekend was not an enjoyable one. A few of the families from our hockey team decided to stay at this Best Western for a tournament we playing in in Arthur. These families arrived between the hours of 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm .. checking out at 9:00 am ... some not even being there for 12 hours. Our familes were given room's in the 126 area, basically away from other guests. Our boys being 11 & 12 years of age were exceited to be in a long hallway .... yes the first thing they wanted to do was play mini sticks (hockey), unforutnatley the lady from the front desk came down and informed the boys, all 7 of them that they were no allowed to play mini sticks in the hallway because they did not want to damage the bricks. She also informed them that if she saw them with a stick she was going to take it away and they would get them back when they checked out. Thank goodness a parent happened to be near by and heard this, if there is an issue with children it should be directed to an adult not the child. The parent was than informed that if they boys wanted to play mini sticks we could rent them a room for $100 but she would discount it to $50 to over their costs to clean it up. Unfortunately the boys only had an hour of play before heading to bed and paying $50 for an hour was unreasonable. The boys then decided to watch the hockey game in the weight room since no one was in there and the tv was on. Again they were sent out because an adult must be present with them. So the boys decided to go to one of the parents room to watch the hockey game. And surprise the front desk lady (unfortunately I didn't get her name and I wish I would have) came down to the coaches room to inform him that someone is running up and down the hallway knocking on doors. The parent proceeded up stairs to check only to find the boys laying all over the beds watching the hockey game. Little to parents surprise there was another team staying in the hotel. Was the front desk lady sure it wasn't one of those boys? That's fine if a hotel does not want to rent rooms to sports teams, I understand that, but when we made the reservation you knew we were a hockey team, and in all fairness don't tag every team that stays at your establishment as being a trouble team because not all teams are. For the little time that we were there we all felt like every five minutes the front desk lady was down complaining about something. Yes if our kids were doing something wrong I agree something should be said but every five minutes ...... and not when our kids ... remember all 7 were watching hockey in one room ... and there were other people in your hotel. Becareful who you accuse ... just because they are a hockey team doesn't give you the right to blame them for everyting ... and if you feel that way about teams ... don't accept reservatoins from them!!!!

Would I stay there again .... maybe if the person at the front desk has some public skills .... it's pretty bad when you go to check out and she can't even look at you .... no hello, how was your stay, good morning etc. !!! Maybe Best Western can register her for a hotel motel management coarse ... in fact with the university located across the street it would be real convenience for them and her.

It only takes one person to ruin a weekend!!!

P.S. Best Western won!!!!

Room Tip: No complaints with the rooms, no complaints with the breakfast. The staff in the breakfast area wer...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank H H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Perugia, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

I spent many days in this hotel close to the campus of ontario university. I found very big and clean rooms, large beds and very quiet area where rest in silence. The hotel is near a small commercial area where there are also pubs and small points to eat. With a car is easy to reach the downtown and a big commercial area at about a mile of distance. I suggest this hotel with a good price and excellent services.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Leonepg
Ketan N, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Royal Brock Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words, the staff and I work diligently to insure each customer is satisfied with their stay. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

I wrote a review dated Dec.27/09 which detailed a somewhat unpleasant stay at the Royal Brock Best Western on Christmas Eve/09. About a week later I received a phone call from the manager, who, in order to compensate us, comped that stay and offered us a complimentary future stay. We used the comp room for Thanksgiving 2011 and I must say everything was wonderful. Excellent customer service from the reservations clerk to the front desk staff to the breakfast room staff. You've won us back, and we're booking again for Christmas Eve this year!

Room Tip: Ask for a cathedral-ceiling room - lovely!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for returning to Trip Advisor and providing another review of our property. I am pleased to hear your stay was enjoyed and look forward to your visit this Christmas.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

I have to highly recommend this place, i.e. location, ambience, food, amenties, room, etc. From the moment I arrived till departure, the staff couldn't do enought for me. and don't skip the breakfast buffet, what a treat..it has something for everyone. And be sure to check out room service from the lounge - the bar sampler.. amazing quality and value

Again thanks to the staff for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for the review, I am sincerely happy we exceeded you expectations and that you enjoyed the many guest amenties and services we offer. Please visit us again upon your return to Guelph.
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

In November we (two adults and two teenagers) did the university tours in the area and based on the reviews, decided to stay here for two nights. The hotel was everything I expected. It was literally across the street from U of Guelph. The room was very spacious, unique, clean and quiet. The free breakfast included a variety for everyone including healthy choices. The various reception staff were always helpful. The prices online ranged from $96 - $119 per night over a three week period. Documentation upon booking mentioned additional charges per night for both the third and fourth person. This is the only complaint I had about the hotel as I'd have preferred to know the total charge up front instead of upon checking out but when I did checked out, the charges were never applied so that was a bonus. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank LLWOntario
gmguelph, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Royal Brock Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Thank you for your review of the Best Western Royal Brock regarding your recent stay. I was happy to see that your stay was problem free and the facilities to your liking. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Guelph.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

I recently had to travel to Ontario for some training for work and as I have family in the area decided to stay in Guelph which is centrally located to all my family and friends. The Best Western was a great spot, great prices, the room was big and very clean. I would definitely recommend this place and will stay there again myself I'm sure!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for the positive feedback. We work extremely hard to ensure each and every guest stay is perfect, I will forward your feedback to all staff. We look forwarding to your next visit.
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

I have stayed here Multiple times over the past 3 years while traveling for work. I really like the location as it is right off Stone Road (Which has a mall, multiple restaurants, gas stations, and not too far from the actual downtown area as well).

The rooms seem like they had been updated within the past few years, and was a really comfortable stay.

They do have a lounge which servces food/room service, yet i usually just went out to eat at another restaurant since I was looking for a place with a better atmosphere. The free breakfest in the morning is a great advantage as well too.

But overall, perfect place to stay for me while traveling for work.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank HuskerFan2009
Thank you for the great review and your loyalty. We hope to serve you again in the near future.