“Has its ups and downs”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Guelph
Ajax, Canada
“Has its ups and downs”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

My family stayed at this hotel for a volleyball tournament. The location is great, the staff were courteous and friendly however when we checked in they only had one staff on knowing there were many teams coming in on the Friday. We waited a very long time to check in.

The positives: Great location, the breakfast was the best we have had at a hotel before. Rooms are big and clean, beds are ok one had the springs coming out a bit. Pillows are fabulous which is nice. staff are helpful. They opened breakfast early to accommodate the early team times which was great! Rooms had balconies which was nice to sit out on in the afternoon/evenings.

The negatives: There is no elevator to the 3rd floor!! I have back problems and we had to carry our luggage, sports bags and coolers up stairs and back down the stairs. So if you if you have mobility problems or back issues etc like myself ask for the main floor room. The other issues were we had a room facing the road, which was very loud at night time. You can also hear every noise and door closing in the hallways. I felt bad for any other people staying there that were not part of our group as we were up at 6:30am. Lastly I was the least impressed with the wifi. We needed the internet a lot and it was very unreliable, kept kicking us off or at times it didn't even show up. I don't know if it was because we were at the other end of the building and the furthest away but It was very frustrating. Lastly, most hotels we have stayed at offered fruit and coffee/tea throughout the day and evening. There were coffee machines in the rooms but I was a little iffy on it as it looked like it wasn't used in a few years. plus it would have been nice to grab a coffee.

Generally the stay was ok. I would not stay again as I didn't like that there was no elevator and to get to the breakfast/lobby/ice machines are difficult and it was kinda loud a night.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Ketan N, General Manager at Royal Brock Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and your review of our property. I am delighted to hear you found our staff courteous and helpful, and you experienced a favorable breakfast. I am sorry to hear you found the building difficult to navigate and we do try our best at the Front Desk to have guests park as closely in proximity to their designated rooms to avoid long hauls with luggage. Your comments allow us to enhance staff training to ensure they accommodate all guests needs. We hope you do give us another opportunity in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We stayed here to be close to our daughter attending University of Guelph. Walking distance to the University. Nice clean rooms with modern décor. Good got free breakfast. Will stay again. If the on line site says there are no rooms, make sure to call the hotel directly.

Room Tip: Book early to make sure you get a room
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for the great review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and our complimentary hot breakfast. We look forward to your return.
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed my 3 day stay at this hotel. I can,t begin to tell you how impressed i was with the cleanliness of the hotel and the service i received during my stay . I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling in the area.

Room Tip: For me traveling alone my room wa excellent but I do know theyalso have family rooms as well and ext...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your recent visit to the Best Western Royal Brock Hotel and for taking the time to publish this positive review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and strive daily to insure the very utmost in customer service and product. Please visit us again next time you are in Guelph.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights just before Easter. The room was very nice, a good size and comfortable. However, we were on the 2nd floor and there was no luggage trolley available. This is where I had a problem. The very nice gentleman behind the desk said that the trolley had been stolen. THE trolley, implying that there was only one for the whole hotel. My question was why they had only ONE for the size of the hotel. Not a good thing.

My other question comes from the fact that he said, in explanation of the theft, that Guelph is a university town, implying that the trolley was taken by a student or students. Be that as it may, if the staff at this Best Western really believe that, I have 2 more questions.....1)Why have only one trolley? 2) Why not keep the trolley in a secure place behind the desk and give it to people as they need it? I really don't see a problem with that.

In their defense I will say that they offered us help to get our luggage up to our room but.....the porter would not be on duty until 6pm and we had arrived much earlier.

We were also advised on arrival that our room would not be cleaned on Good Friday (we arrived on Thursday) as the staff had the holiday. Clarification....the room was clean and ready for us when we arrived on Thursday.

Would I return to this hotel? Not likely.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your candid review. I sincerely apologize for the comments made at our front desk in regards to the situation your encountered, it was not the place for any staff member to offer a subjective opinion to a guest. We apologize for not having a luggage cart available for you at the time of your visit, and have ameliorated the situation. Should you return to Guelph we do hope you give us another opportunity.
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 7 April 2013

My son's swim team chose this hotel for Victor Davis Memorial Cup. Smart selection, this hotel is very close to the pool; 9min away.

There was a little bit of confusion when we arrived at the hotel. One cannot enter the hotel parking lot from 716 Gordon Street, but you have to go around and enter from Stone Road East. We arrived pretty late at night and not finding the parking lot was a little bit of a concern for me.

As soon as we checked in, everything was much better. We are staying in a nice, renovated room. We knew from the start that it will be a loud weekend with so many teenagers around. Unfortunately the fact that the room was located right across the main entrance of the lower level did not help for a quiet night or morning.

We had breakfast every morning for the 3 days that we were lodging at the hotel. The food was good and fresh. The keeper of the restaurant was very helpful and accommodating.

The hotel employees were nice and helpful. I left my key in the room one day and I received a spare key right the way. The extra key was good for (1) day.

With our registration we received high speed internet connection which was pretty good.

Overall we had a good stay and my son had fun with his friends.

The price of the room, the service and the people made us decide that we will stay here again if opportunities arise.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear the positive comments you have shared and for the detail provided. We certainly look forward to your return and appreciate your patronage.
London, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed at location for the weekend while my daughter played in a sports tournament. Had an early checkin it was a good location nice rooms. The breakfast was ok. To bad it had an outdoor pool. Would stay at location again.

• Stayed March 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Stayed on a business trip to local offices. Standard size 2 double bed room with bath. Room has plenty of pillows, flat screen TV, coffee maker with to-go cups, iron/ironing board. Bath has soap, shampoo, mouthwash, body lotion, and nice towels. Ground floor room was quiet, good heater (it was snowing) comfortable bed. Complimentary self-serve breakfast. Good location at university,a couple blocks to mall, a couple miles to downtown Guelph. Several restaurants no more than 5 minute drive away. Affordable rate a positive for company travel budget.

Room Tip: Quieter away from the roads, as facility is at a busy intersection
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business