“"THE" Place to Stay in Guelph” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Royal Brock Hotel & Conference Centre

BEST WESTERN PLUS Royal Brock Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Guelph
Maynooth, Canada
“"THE" Place to Stay in Guelph”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

I'm a "Best Western Frequent Stayer" & I used to stay at Holiday Inns & Radisson (Park Inns) - or use one of those Discount Hotel Finders on line (but I got burned a couple of times) - but recently I switched to Best Western & have never looked back. I've stayed at about 5 different ones in the past year & have always had a very positive experience - & they give Air Miles to Boot - BOUNS!...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Manotick
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

We attended a conference at the University of Guelph and had meetings with the Ontario Government the day before - both just across the street. When we had arrived after a long drive we were greeted warmly and offered help with our luggage and the front desk even loaned us playing cards. The room was clean, comfortable and everything worked. The front desk recommended a pizza place and that worked out well too. The first night the hotel was not very busy - it was tomb-like. The breakfast served hot scrambled eggs, sausages, and the usual muffins (very good in this case), toast, cereal and juice. Breakfast was much better than we expected. The second night the hotel was busier as more people came for the conference and a few kid's hockey teams were registered too, it seems. The parking lot seemed to be at capacity - which could be an issue. We could hear the noise of the kids running up and down the hallways on the floor above but they settled down before there was occasion to complain. One could also hear people talking in the hallways. Other than the minor issue of noise (which abated before 11:00) it was all good. I will return for my next business meeting in Guelph.

Room Tip: Some rooms require going up and down several stairs. That could be an issue for some people.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

This was our second trip to this hotel (last was several years ago). Very impressed - clearly better than, say, the Guelph Comfort Inn or other hotels in the same general price range. What's so good? For one thing, breakfast seems to have more of what my spouse calls "real food" - eggs that taste like eggs, not plastic, for example. For another, the bed was quite comfortable. Also, we were there on one of the coldest nights of the winter so far, and there were no problems with having enough heat . Front desk staff was pleasant and capable. All in all, a very pleasant hotel experience.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Orleans, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

The bed was very comfortable. Great quality pillows, duvet and mattress. Breakfast was hot lots of variety to choose from. Eggs where not the greatest but eatable. Front lobby was very cozy. Room was nice and warm for a winter night.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

This hotel makes hosting a conference/meeting easy!! Right from the start hotel staff are there to help with set up, food and beverage selection, as well as overnight accommodation arrangements.
Staff go out of their way to be of assistance.
Meeting rooms are bright, and can be arranged in a myriad of ways.
Food - great selection of menu items and the food is very very good.
overnight rooms - very comfortable and clean.
The GM's staff - Amy, Kendra, Candy and Mike - are great to work with.
Our group have been holding our annual event at this hotel for 17 years and are looking forward to our 2014 event.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Midland, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

This hotel is okay if you only need a place to rest your head for the night. The entrance off Stone Road is not clearly marked and I nearly missed it as I rounded the corner off Gordon Street. The parking lot was full and I parked away from the main entrance and entered the hotel from the conference entrance. There were no signs to direct you to the hotel lobby. I think I saw the entire hotel before finding the lobby and the check-in desk. The employee behind the desk was very pleasant and made you feel very welcome. Upon entering my room all seemed to be clean and orderly. As I was hanging up my clothes in the closet I noticed that the closet was full of cobwebs. I had to clean them off my suit pants before I could wear them the next day. Upon returning from dinner that evening I was unable to enter through the door closest to my room as the key card reader was malfunctioning and had to walk through the parking lot to the main lobby entrance to enter the hotel. Returning to my room the key card would no longer work in my door and I had to return to the check-in desk to have the key cards re-programmed. The same employee as earlier was on duty and apologized for the problem and quickly re-programmed the key card. Upon returning to my room once again, I decided to brew a cup of coffee with the in-room coffeemaker. It was not working. I returned to the check-in desk to notify the desk clerk (the same one as before) that the coffeemaker was not working. He offered to get a new one and have the porter on duty get me a coffee from the dining room. I was tired and did not wish to wait for a new machine but did agree to getting a coffee from the dining room. Again this employee was very obliging and a credit to the hotel. I returned to my room, enjoyed my coffee and turned in for the night. The bed was very comfortable and enjoyed a good night's sleep. The hotel is close to the University and local shopping which is a plus. The complimentary breakfast is standard fare but well stocked and the food was hot. The in room wireless internet was intermittent and it was difficult to stay connected. If you are not looking for luxury and just a place for the night you may wish to choose this hotel otherwise look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Oshawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel on a last-minute decision...we were planning on staying at the more expensive hotel across the road but chose the Best Western because of the promotion in which we could earn an extra 1,000 points in that time period. We were very glad we did. The room was very spacious, the hotel warm and inviting and the staff very helpful. The price was better than the competitor and they even gave us breakfast - we'll definitely stay there when in Guelph in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business