“Great range of climbing for all levels”

Guelph Grotto Climbing Company
Ranked #20 of 40 things to do in Guelph
Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

With a few different types of climbing and a big range of different wall climbs this place is great fun whether your a first timer or advanced and they even have classes.
I took a friend and her son and now she wants to go back for the Saturday night women's classes.

1  Thank DaneNJess

Reviewed 30 March 2017

Our kids went to the kids that rock program. I feel there was very little climbing technique learned. The hour went like this: Stretching and getting into harnesses for about 20 minutes. Then the kids went down to the rock climbing walls where they basically did whatever they felt like for the remainder of the class. There was no instruction and there were too many kids for the space of the place, there are two programs going on at the same time plus all the adult climbers as well. At times the instructors would bring the kids upstairs and play tag or other non-climbing games for half the class, which again, wasn't teaching the kids how to climb. Our kids love climbing, but I don't think we would do the kids that rock program again unless the grotto changed the way the deliver the program.

2  Thank Travellingplaces
Reviewed 16 March 2017 via mobile

Definitely not as easy as it looks. No joke on safety here. Waivers plus training. We were here the better part of 1/2 before really getting started. All good though as the kids picked this up quickly. Sections for different skill levels. Hands are super sore after and kids are nice & sweaty. Oh ya! March break fun

Reviewed 19 February 2017

I was a little worried about this since the kids we were bringing were two 7 year olds and a 4 year old to try this.

When we got there it was easy to check in and lots of space in the change rooms. We had a really good guide/assistant named "Gabby" helping the kids out and encouraging them. She got them suited up in their harnesses and helped them through each one of the climbs they wanted to try.

We booked 2 hours but soon we realized that we wouldn't make it without a break. Lots of space and drinks you can get.

We ended up taking the kids home, tired having had a great time. Good Staff and very patient. If you've got kids I would recommend that you ask for Gabby to help them.

We will be back!

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 January 2017 via mobile

As an experienced indoor climber I really like a gym with good problem setting and the Grotto does quite well in this regard. Although it's not my home gym I like to get out whenever I'm in the area for a few hours and always finish on a bit of a high note, and especially so during my most recent visit.

They've recently added a whole slew of new problems in the new back section that are competition style slab - including true slab (angled forward a few degrees not back) - along with great volume problems which really adds value to a boulderer's session. It really adds a lot to an otherwise small and potentially crowded gym.

Now for the criticism. I do not recommend going during the day if you have kids or, like myself, have a particular aversion to 'gangsta' rap. I'm not sure if it's a particular employee but on my last two visits about a few weeks apart, I had to spend my entire 3hr session listening to the 'N' word, 'F' word, and a few choice others on top of cheesy music samples.

Now I'm far, far from a prude and have played and listened to my share of counter-culture music. The thing is that once you have kids of your own, it's just not appropriate in a public setting having lyrics about 'slaying pu$$y' and demeaning women. Seriously, who there thinks this is a good idea?

Likely, it's typical collegiate social-signalling by a twenty-something employee that feels they are being really edgy and cool. I'll tell you that nobody I met there looks like they are very 'street' or 'thug-life' to me.

If it was my business there would be no way in he11 I'd be playing that stuff, even on slow afternoons. I'd hope and assume the music has non-demeaning lyrical content in the busier evenings even if it's equally crappy, but who knows.

I'm sure the place is usually decent for families or pre-teens but I'd bring earphones next time just in case.

2  Thank Steve R