“Family history in archives”

Guelph Civic Museum
Ranked #12 of 59 things to do in Guelph
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Guelph Civic Museum showcases Guelph's history through permanent and changing exhibits, a fun and interactive families gallery, and special events and activities. Located in the recently renovated Loretto Convent, atop the hill at Norfolk Street and beside the landmark Church of Our Lady, the museum is home to a collection of artifacts that bring Guelph's past to life.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I have family history in Guelph, so my Mother and I made a special trip to the museum in search of pictures or information about her Grandfather, my Great Grandfather.

Decades ago, my Mother remembered seeing pictures of him in the museum displays. But since then, the museum changed locations, and changed displays. So he was no longer in the exhibits.

But as we were about to leave, I noticed the locked "Archives" room, which had staff inside. We inquired about my Great Grandfather, and an employee looked him up in their computer. Sure enough, she found two images of him and his buisness. She also looked through the old city maps, and found the site in the city where his business was located.

We found out that we could have looked up his images through their website, but I don't think I would ever have known without the museum visit. Apparently they are also able to, for a fee, print you a photo from their archives since their images are high resolution.

So this is the reason for my excellent rating.

Thank you, GCM, for helping us find Alex A. Watt - Coal, Coke & Wood

in 9 reviews
in 6 reviews
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 26 October 2013

This is a small museum but the fee is little too and what you see and learn is well worth it.
Every exhibition is very well made and the museum is organized in a great way.
Kids will love it.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

-Extremely quiet

-Very small.
-(At least when I visited the place) the first floor didn't have anything in it.

The museum has canvas paintings in it, and exhibits to show the history of Guelph. There are three floors.

I didn't really like it. The only reason I gave it three stars is because it's very reasonably-priced, and you can visit it once in a period of one year for the ticket you buy.

I'm not saying it was a waste of money. It's worth it cause of the low cost, but it's really small. Don't expect it to be like a Toronto museum.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Wide ranging story of Guelph and area. Displays are well thought out. The children's area interesting for the younger ones. Historic locale in reclaimed building an added bonus.

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This museum had more to offer than we realized. The art exhibits were beautiful, the section about the history of Guelph was very well done and the family floor provided our kids with a few hours of good old fashioned fun. The key is to go and just let them explore.... don't be in a rush. They enjoyed making the crafts that were available, playing at the various dramatic play areas and using the hands on computer activities. They also found the puppet area, fossil dig and science discovery area to be quite entertaining. If you are looking for a low key, inexpensive way to spend a Saturday afternoon (family admission was $10.00) then this is a terrific spot!