“This place is a Gem downtown.”
Review of 39 Carden Street

39 Carden Street
Ranked #12 of 408 Restaurants in Guelph
Cuisines: Contemporary, Fusion, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: 39 Carden Street is a bistro in the heart of Downtown Guelph. Our menu features an inspired cuisine, with a modern twist, prepared fresh daily using the finest local ingredients. We showcase snack, weekend brunch, lunch and dinner items on our unique menu. 39 Carden Street is the perfect venue for any occasion.
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is an unassuming place but the food is out of this world. Everything from the starters to the desserts makes this a great place to have a enjoyable evening. I had the Lamb Sirloin and my partner had the Rabbit Risotto. My Lamb melted in my mouth and the Rabbit was cooked to perfection. This is one of our top places to eat. Great food and good prices what more do you need.

2  Thank Mindful_Travels

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I met some friends here for Sunday brunch, and was impressed by how relaxed the atmosphere was. My friends and I ordered various breakfast dishes, and they were all delicious. My eggs benedict was cooked perfectly, and the home fries were delicious. The brunch menu is fairly small, but with a nice variety, and the portion sizes aren't too large, either. The server was friendly, but needed to be a little more attentive. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

my wife and I have been coming to 39 carden for quite awhile now, the things we love most about the place is the ever so changing menu items, you can tell the place is doing a lot better from when they started last year as we came it and it was just us on a Friday night and now we come and its almost full as to be sure we always get a resovation because you never want to miss a gem like this! One steak item yo have to try is their hanger steak probably the type of steak ive ever tried!

2  Thank mikeq m
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I toured Paris last summer and go to 30 Carden whenever we want another taste!
We have visited Carden for anniversary, birthday, and Valentine's this year...as well as lunches and drinks and apps. Never disappointed! Staff and food are both extraordinary. Wonderful selection of wines. Interesting and fresh menu choices. Valentine's menu was the best I've ever had for that occasion and the price was unbelievably good.

2  Thank Crabbeymac
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Have dined at 39 Carden several times over the past few months, each time for dinner -- sometimes as a couple, sometimes with friends. Each occasion has been great.

It's not a big place, but there are plenty of seating options, including larger tables. The patio is nice and large, though it's shaded so you'll want a sweater for evenings. The decor is sweet -- french bistro without being over the top.

The menu changes constantly and is only posted on blackboards. This creates some issues with picking your dishes if you're eating with a group and are not in the sight-lines of the boards. We've had good luck taking photos of the boards to take back to our tables. Might be nice if the owners just caved and did daily printed menus.

The food is varied, with about a dozen "small plates" available either as apps or to compose a small plate meal. The mains are usually 8 or 10 in number (and usually include at least one seafood and one game option!), and there are a few desserts on offer each day. The offerings are creative, but can get a bit repetitive -- we had 3 of our asian-influenced small plates show up with the same scallion/garlic/ginger sauce, as if it was the only asian sauce ever invented. Good thing it was super tasty.

Wines are priced well, and though there are only a few options, they're good bottles. You can also order from the oenophile's list by the ounce for a higher-priced option. Bar service is also good, with craft liquors as well as the standards available.

Expect to pay about $50 pp for dinner with drinks, before tip. You can do it for less, or a lot more.

Service is attentive and consistently good, capping off the experience.

Definitely worth checking out -- whether it's for a romantic dinner, family brunch, or a casual dinner out with friends.

1  Thank McMarshal