“Comfortable and Luxurious” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 5 Guelph B&B and Inns
Barrie, Canada
“Comfortable and Luxurious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

My husband and I came to Norfolk to celebrate our anniversary. We loved how private the Grandview suite was and the two person Jacuzzi.

I was disappointed that the fireplace didn't work, even when I used the labeled switches on the wall. The bed was very comfortable, though it would have been better if it was a king size. If you enjoy bed and breakfasts, you will love Norfolk.

Room Tip: Spring for the Grandview suite. You will be very glad that you did!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Celeste G
Janetperry, Owner at Norfolk Guest House, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
WE really appreciate all comments our guest makes, it helps us to improve.
King size beds are the next phase in upgrades but will not happen for a while since the Queen beds are all new. Changing bed size also means change room decor as well.

The reason the fireplace did not work was because there is not a switch on the wall for the fireplace. The wall switch is for the lights above the fireplace not the fireplace itself. You must turn the fireplace on manually at the bottom of the fireplace. So that is why it did not appear to work for you. It is in perfect working order and always has been. Perhaps we can place a note with instructions in the room to make it more clear for future guests. Thankyou for your comments. Hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Merrickville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

My daughter is in her 4th year at U. of Guelph and my husband and I have stayed at Norfolk House many times over those years, when we come to visit her. We have always been more than happy with our experience there. Twice, we've even been up-graded to a bigger room than the one we reserved, at no extra cost. The decor is lovely, elegant and spotlessly clean. The jacuzzi baths are what we really look forward to, after a 5 hour drive. Breakfast is always spectacular and Janet is a friendly and pleasant host. After our daughter moves on from U. of Guelph, we might have to keep coming back anyway, just to enjoy a stay at Norfolk House.

Room Tip: Any room is a good one at Norfolk House!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mary-Lou H
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

Third time visitor - impressed every time. This is one of the most beautiful B&Bs I visit. The rooms are gorgeous and spacious, the same goes for the washroom . The beds are always comfortable and I never have trouble sleeping. Great food, great service.

Room Tip: Grandview or Penthouse
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael P
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

I have stayed here before, and will continue to go back as often as I can. This time, my boyfriend and I stayed overnight for my birthday. What a wonderful gift! The room was gorgeous, spacious (bigger then my apartment in Toronto), and luxurious. I would have to say that the bathroom was my favourite, with a beautiful 2 person jacuzzi and an awesome walk-in shower (that I believe one could live in). Janet has always been such a welcoming easy-going hostess, which is always greatly appreciated. Let's not forget the large wrap around balcony and as always, the super comfortable beds. Just love this B&B.

Room Tip: I've stayed in multiple rooms, they are all extremely nice!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maybe83
Guelph, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

My husband had booked a room for us a month in advance with a $100 deposit for our wedding day as a surprise to me. I found out on the evening of being married, that when he went to drop off our bags that morning, they had lost our reservation. When they finally found it (computer glitch they told him), they said they were full.

He suggested that couples who had made a reservation only a week ago (and were not due to arrive to the B&B for a few hours) should be bumped and we should get a room because we reserved a full month ago and it was our wedding day. They proverbially shrugged their shoulders.

We were moved to a small room in the Delta Hotel in Guelph, which was a complete disappointment.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Lara B
Janetperry, Owner at Norfolk Guest House, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
It was very unfortunate that errors occur beyond our control. This reservation was not lost. The groom booked online with our third party reservation system, however he failed to complete the reservation.He never received a confirmation. He admitted to us that he stopped while filling out the forms online. On our end it shows us the date that the reservation was attempted and what time and that it was online. The unfortunate part is that the room inventory was not removed due to the incomplete booking by the client.
I brought the client into the office and showed him everything on our computer and assured him that regardless of the circumstance we would make sure this did not ruin his wedding day. Within the hour I had called the Delta hotel and arrange to have the best room available for the couple. I explained the situation to the hotel front desk clerk and asked that this couple be taken very good care of. I personally went to the Delta and placed fresh flowers in the room, a bottle of wine, spa products, chocolate dipped strawberries and a note. I took care of the breakfast ,parking and offered a free room at Norfolk as well. I took care of the entire bill which was our way to make sure they were happy. I called the Delta several times during their stay to make sure they were happy. The gentleman at the front desk reported that he was impressed at our level of customer service and that he said the couple enjoyed their stay and all the extras that I had provided and paid for.

Our policy for booking a reservation has never included a payment of any kind, simply a credit card number to secure the room. We never received any money from this client as a way to secure the room. Most of our conversation took place over the phone and the groom did ask us to bump another client to accommodate them and we did not agree to do that as his reservation was never completed and confirmed in the first place.

We went out of our way to make this couple happy and we did everything possible to make the day special for them. We called our reservation system provider and have let them know they need to put some more measures into the system to make sure this type of error does not happen again.
There will always be things that go wrong along the way, it's how you deal with them that is important. We care about every client and our immediate response to turn the situation around and level of care shows we are a great place to stay.
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

I stayed at the guesthouse many times and just left once again and cannot wait until I go back. Wow it is so clean, and so comfortable. Again The owner updated the rooms. I'm so impressed as always Janet made me feel at home.

Thank you can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Rent the grand view or Turkish
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Sharon T
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Norfolk is by far my favorite, and the best, place to stay in Guelph. Very comfortable beds, elegantly decorated rooms, most of which have large jacuzzi tubs. I travel extensively for business, and Grandview/Penthouse rooms are up there with any of the nicest rock star hotel rooms I've stayed at anywhere in the world. On this visit I stayed in the Provence and Queen rooms on different nights. This B&B is obviously great for weekend getaways, but also works well for business visitors i.e. fast wifi, quiet rooms, convenient to biz district and university,

Janet is a very congenial host, and serves great breakfasts (included in price). She is also quite knowledgeable about local restaurants/amenties/events, and can offer recommendations based on your personal tastes/preferences Lastly, you can make a pot of (good) tea on your own in the evenings whenever you want, i.e. nice touch that makes for a good way to end the evening. Thanks Janet!!

PS: There is no swimming pool, mistakenly clicked on that rating. The jacuzzis are a little too small to do laps ;-)

Room Tip: Grandview/Penthouse rooms are excellent, Turkish and Queen rooms are great. Other rooms are also ve...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo