Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton - Guelph
Average 3/5
Great 4.5/5
  • Restaurant
Good 3.5/5
All reviewsfront deskturtle jackshot tubcomplimentary breakfasttim hortonsrecommend this hotelwafflesindustrial areawithin walking distanceclean hotelhockey tournamentwaffle makerbusiness tripgreat place to staysausagelots of parkingup to date
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 April 2009

If all hotels could be this nice traveling would be less of a bear and more like a treat.
This hotel exceeded my expectations! We were met at the check-in desk by a very friendly young man who promptly checked us in. He suggested great places to eat and gave us directions for getting around the city. Our room was wonderful - very spacious and clean and our beds were so comfortable (almost better than my bed at home). The complimentary breakfast was very good. We will stay here at this hotel each trip north.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Sean M, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton - Guelph, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Guest,

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to serving you again in the near future. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us anytime.

Reviewed 21 March 2009

When I arrived around 8 pm went to the front desk which was not staffed. Waited 10 minutes, calling out for assistance. Finally, a man and woman sheepishly appeared from the offices behind the front desk. I stay at many hotels yearly for business and pleasure and have never been asked to produce identication as I was that night. It seemed so bizarre to me that I needed to produce photo ID while the front desk was unmanned for who knows how long...anyone could have walked in unnoticed. The room was clean, although the sheets were rough and the laundry soap must be heavily perfumed. The breakfast that is included is horrible. 'Hot' food was warm. Breads, muffins etc were cheap, store bought and stale. When I checked out, front desk asked regarding my stay...my reply was polite but truthful. He just looked at me and proceeded to check me out. A week later, Hampton Inns sent me a customer survey regarding my stay...I fulfilled it out indicated that I would like to be contacted regarded my concerns but never heard back from them. Since then I have never stayed at this hotel or any other Hampton Inn. For Guelph, there are so many better options.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank QaV

Dear Guest,

I apologize for the lack of response from the hotel. This is totally unacceptable and can assure you that the new current management will be more responsive to your needs. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us anytime.

Sincerelym

Reviewed 26 December 2007

The hotel itself was clean and comfortable. We stayed with a basketball team and everyone was happy. Until we got to the continental breakfast in the morning. Don't get my wrong, it did have an abundance of food. Cereals, sausages, etc. We arrived at breakfast around 8am. Apparently, they put the food out at 6am and do not replenish. I would hope that they would have changed this by now because I did question the front desk about this and explained how disappointed we were. They didn't seem too concerned about it. I am not a picky eater but no one would attempt to eat. We couldn't even tell what half the food was because it was so dried out. Again, the hotel was clean and very nice. If you do book, just ask them about the breakfast. We were hoping to save some money travelling with a team of 13 year old male basketball players who can eat tons, but instead we had to stop for breakfast at a restaurant.

• Stayed: March 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank TJR51

Dear Guest,

I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel. I apologize for the breakfast quality being poor. The new management and staff has improved this. I would like to invite you back to give us one more chance to see for yourself the improvements. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime.

Reviewed 29 October 2007

My friends and I stayed at this property in July 2007 while visiting Guelph to attend the Hillside Music Festival. We wanted an upscale hotel to provide a little luxury and relaxation after the full days we would have at the festival.

A minor problem to start with... There were several children's baseball teams booked into the property and on the same floor as my room. The children of course were running up and down the hall, playing on the baggage carts and always pressing ALL the elevator buttons. While I realize that the hotel cannot guarantee the actions of the guests, it went on for quite some time before the noise finally stopped. I did not contact the front desk over this issue.

Another issue is the design of the hotel. There are very large and bright spotlights on the front of the hotel to light it up from the outside. The problem comes in that they are aimed UP the building and shine into the room so that even with the blackout curtains drawn, they still illuminate the room far more than is suitable. Do these lights REALLY need to be on at 2AM? It seems to be quite a waste of electricity for the sake of vanity. The hotel is on the edge of Guelph and borders on a light industrial area that does NOT receive a great deal of overnight traffic - at least based on my trips around the hotel in the evening.

The REAL problems started come the morning. During the hot complimentary buffet breakfast, the dining staff were constantly complaining, in a voice loud enough for myself to easily overhear, that the guests were "all taking too much food!" and they were quite upset with us.This went on for the entire time we were eating. Apparently we weren't supposed to actually use the buffet or take specific quantities. The staff were actually spending so much time standing around complaining that they were not tending to the tables as guests were leaving them and the garbage was piling up on them as guests had to clear the tables themselves. The actual quality of the food was somewhere between satisfactory to poor. Eggs and sausage that were probably to be fried or baked were microwaved - the texture was quite weird and the product was watery. No one involved was taking what I would consider undue amounts (and I am a light eater myself in the morning) and there were not any plates covered in food that were being left behind by the other guests.

Upon returning to the property that evening, the real problems started. Out of the four of us, all sweaty and dirty from a day spent outside in the blazing sun, only one of us managed to have shower before the handle for controlling the shower broke. No handle, no water. We contacted the front desk and were told that there was nothing they could do and we would have to wait for the morning to have a plumber come in. When we asked if there were any spare rooms to use the shower in, we were told there were not and we would just have to wait. We were also told that the front desk staff for the morning shift would be informed and they would contact us to resolve the issue as soon as possible. The only shower we were offered to use was the shower in the pool area - the shower in the middle of a giant open glass area in full exposure to everyone - which needless to say, the ladies of our group found MOST unacceptable.

The next morning came and the whole process of the dining experience repeated itself. The same grouchy staff were there still complaining about the quantity of food all the guests were taking. She continued her rant over to the front desk agent as well who basically ignored her.

After breakfast, I went to the front desk to check out without ever having received a call about the shower. The front desk agent dutifully handed me my bill, without even asking if everything was OK, and told me that WE were supposed to have called the desk to arrange a suitable time for someone to come up as this was a simple item to fix and they had spare parts behind the desk. I told her that we had been informed of the opposite and she said that obviously the night staff was mistaken I challenged her over the 100% Satisfaction Guarantee that the Hampton Suites claims to offer as this was ridiculous that no one seemed to communicate or know what was going on. She told me that there was nothing she could do for me regarding the room rate, nor was there anyone working on Sunday morning who could, and I would have to call back on Monday to speak to the General Manager. I told her that this did not seem a very good way to do business and she simply told me that this is how it had to be.

Upon my return home, I filled in the customer survey on the Hilton website about the problems I had with my stay. I was contacted by the Guest Relations manager (Ms. Santos) of the hotel and began to relate the details about my stay. I further explained that I felt that they were not willing to stand behind their guarantee that was splashed all over the booking pages of their reservation website. It took several days of phone calls (always with me paying the long distance rate as no toll-free line was ever offered for me to use) with the Guest Relations manager finally offering me a paltry 25% discount off a future stay. Why would I want to give more money to a hotel that I already found totally unacceptable? She finally offered a 50% future stay discount or a 25% refund. I returned her call and told her that I expected them to honour the 100% policy. At this point, the hotel stopped returning my calls even though I left several voice mails and left two different phone numbers and an email address. As there was another couple staying with us, how could I accept the future stay discount with none of us EVER wanting to stay at that property again?

Finally, I called the Guest Relations department at the Hilton to attempt some measure of satisfaction. I spoke to a quite professional and empathetic agent who took all the details of my call and told me the hotel would contact me within 7 days to review my complaint. Well, seven days came and went and no call from the hotel was ever received. I called back to Hilton Guest Relations and was told by the agent that the hotel had resolved my issue with a 50% refund and closed the file. At no point had anyone called me. What irks me the most was the email that I received the following day from Hilton telling me that they were pleased that the hotel had contacted me and refunded me 50% of the stay. Apparently, going half the distance qualifies as good service with the Hilton Family. No option to reply or follow up further was offered. With the three months of run-around and lack of contact and courtesy, I am now fully at ZERO per cent satisfaction. A far cry from the 100% guarantee they offer.

This hotel DOES NOT HONOUR THEIR GUARANTEE in any way shape or form. Do NOT book with this property as if there is a problem you will not be treated with respect and barely contacted if you need to follow up with it. Overall, this is a very badly run property with poorly-trained staff who do the bare minimum to ensure they can collect your money when you check out.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
9  Thank GSaul1027

Dear Guest,

Management has changed since your stay and we would like the opportunity to make yoiur next stay better. We do apologize for how this current stay turned out and we can assure you this will never happen again.

Reviewed 14 August 2007

We stayed at the Hampton on our way up north. Beautiful new hotel and very friendly front desk staff. Rooms were nice and had everything we needed including a fridge and micro wave. The hotel was booked with baseball teams, so our only complaints were rowdy kids running and pushing office chairs and luggage racks piled with their friends up and down the hallways. They did finally stop before bedtime. Also, the hot tub was filfthy! But we had heard from other guest that the baseball kids had been in their earlier, so that probably explained the filth!!

Overall, this is a nice hotel and we will probably stay here again on our way up north. Lots of parking, good breakfast, nice rooms and friendly staff.....just watch out for those baseball teams!!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family