“Fun place”

Ranked #6 of 383 Restaurants in Guelph
Price range: US$11 - US$15
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Perhaps the Wooly concept is best represented by renowned Canadian artist Charlie Pachter's "Queen on a Moose" paintings. These pictures conveyed what would happen if a British pub was transferred to Canada. That pub would feature local foods, beverages and decor. It would be an "All-Canadian" pub featuring the best of the British pub culture. A "local" or home-base pub for its guests. The Woolwich Arrow was inspired by the Ontario micro-brewery "explosion" that occurred in the late 1980's. The brewery industry was dominated by 3 large companies for over 40 years until the start of the craft brewery phenomenon. Teaching a course on beers at the University of Guelph Bob Desautels was keenly aware of this development. When an opportunity to open a pub in downtown Guelph emerged he decided to feature only small micro-brews on tap. The rest is history!
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
“Fun place”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The Wooly has the same ownership as Borealis and it shows. There is the same commitment to local food sources. Good selection of beers on tap. I had the meatloaf and it was very good. Service is good but relaxed.

• Visited December 2013

Guelph, Canada
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Service in the bar area was poor ...we had been waiting patiently to order drinks when some "regulars" came in and got served before us- even though the bartender saw us waiting . I thought that was pretty rude. The waiter we had in the dining area was much better- very friendly and knowledgeable. The food was disapointing - I had a burger and sweet potatoe fries- the burger was overcooked and dry and the fries were luke warm at best and also tasted dried out. Overall cost was reasonable.Probably would not return anytime soon.

• Visited October 2013
Guelph, Canada
“What a Gem!”
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

I had been wanting to go to this place since I moved to Guelph sin e it's in a beautiful century home.

A few of us went during jazzfest because a band we knew was playing so it was very busy. We didnt end up having to wait long for a table which was nice and the staff were keeping organized on who was waiting to be seated. It is a very small pub but that's part of why it's so quaint and interesting. It's very unpretentious, it's just a nice place to enjoy an evening.

Read previous reviews on here and complaints about the AC. You won't find AC in most English pubs (in England) so this wasnt a big shock to me, it's just part of the ambience.

Loved the menu, and the local sources of many menu ingredients. Also the organic options were superb. Ordered the chicken fingers which were probably the best chicken fingers I had ever eaten before

The beer menu is Canadian based, particularly Ontario craft brews.

My bill was a little steep for one beer and dinner but I would pay more for the quality of food that I got with locally sourced produce and meat so in the end it was worth it

1 Thank jenn3535
Toronto, Canada
“Cozy on a cold night”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I was delighted to see the menu selections of local food and beverage. Food was tasty, hot, nourishing and each item had a slight unexpected twist. Curry was amazing, meat pie good. Service was friendly and efficient. We will visit again.

Toronto, Canada
“Pub Grub with a Twist”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

The food here is good, I had the veggie burger (a lot os options!)and fries and my husband had the spicy burger both were very good but sadly I assume since it was busy the food arrived at our table just barely warm.
I was too hungry to say anything but I would still go back again I doubt this is the norm. It is a very popular Guelph restaurant for years.