“Don't Look For Any Special Treatment If You're Around The Bay Runner” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Days Inn Hamilton

Days Inn Hamilton
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Hamilton
Cornwall, Canada
“Don't Look For Any Special Treatment If You're Around The Bay Runner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

I stayed in Room 128 on Saturday March 26, 2011. You really get what you pay for in my opinion. Considering I stayed at another hotel last year for Around The Bay I thought other hotels would pull out the stops to welcome racers to the city. In the case of the Days Inn I was sadly mistaken. The two staff at the front counter were swamped with the number of people coming to check in around 5 p.m. The clerk was kind of ho-hum and lacked any sort of charm. When I got to my room the first thing that I noticed (being a non-smoker) is the room had a very musty smell (almost like it used to be a smoking room but was converted into a non-smoker). The lighting was a little dark for my taste and the view was excellent if you like seeing a back alley and a car in a covered garage covered with snow. The air conditioner/heater worked well and kept the room at an adequate temperature but you would think the cleaning staff could at least remove the children's artwork from it (see photo). The bed was okay and there were lots of pillows - nothing special though.
My biggest beef with the room was the noise and the insulation (or lack of it). Every time someone flushed their toilet on the second floor you could hear it plain as day. Plus people banging the fire door in the hallway echoed right into the room.
Parking was a bit of a challenge and I think the property is probably underrated for the number of hotel rooms. I ended up parking in a corner on a 45-degree angle (basically the last spot in the lot).
One strange thing, they give out the TV remotes at the front desk. This is the first time I have seen this.
The complementary breakfast was okay but the space was a bit cramped and the selection was a little bit difficult to comprehend (stuff hidden and not in any sort of particular order).
Finally, for one day a year you would think a chain like Days Inn could afford to give people a complementary late check out (say 1pm or 2pm) to allow runners to come back and shower after the race. No, they wanted an extra $35. I'm not paying $35 for a shower, thank you.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank LaxJock
daysinnhamilton, General Manager at Days Inn Hamilton, responded to this review, 6 April 2011
Sorry for the inconviences you had. However, apart from that lightly marked heating cover, I assure you that we have guests coming back and asking for that room only. That room has never been as a smoking room, so I am surprised to your issue. Yes, we were charging $35 extra to everybody who wanted to keep it for 2 hrs more.

Once again sorry.

Azim Kassam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

We didn't sign up for 'Around The Bay' until last minute . No one had a room. So we used hotel.com. It took some finnagling but they secured a room for us last minute! It was 135.00 plus tx and the Days Inn is nice but not our first choice. But we just came back from Cuber so we figured it couldn't be worse. RULE # 1234 Don't judge the book by it's cover! The outside is pretty dingy, distressed and in a poor part of town BUT the inside was immaculately clean and comfortable with a nice lobby area. Our room was very clean and comfortable (#230). Nice surprise for an overnight stay in Hamilton. And it was only a few blocks from the Copps so you can drop someone off in five minutes but a lot walked down in 10. And the continental breakfast was wonderful with a good selection of breakfast fare ( and that was at 10:15am). Shows what can happen when you have a well managed staff and good people working for you. Would recommend it in a minute.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
daysinnhamilton, General Manager at Days Inn Hamilton, responded to this review, 29 March 2011
Really appreciate your excellent review. We hope to see you again.

Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2011

The hotel is in downtown Hamilton, and so there is nothing I can complain about the location. Also, given that price, I think it certainly worth what I paid for.

The room is quite clean, and it's also nice to have a microwave and a refrigerator in it. But one of the problem is that we were assigned to a room in the "middle" of the building, where our window is facing the window of another room, only for less than 2 meters...... It makes the room not bright enough.

The biggest problem is that it's too noisy at night...... we stayed for 2 nights, but in both nights I heard people arguing and yelling at the hallway loudly, making me not possible to fall asleep. Though it lasted for only about 15 minutes, but it happened in both nights we stayed...... I hope it's just an incident.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
daysinnhamilton, General Manager at Days Inn Hamilton, responded to this review, 19 March 2011
Thank you for your frank comments. Hope to see you again.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2011

I have stayed at this hotel many times, for one or two nights. It is wonderful value for the price. And the location is excellent if you want access to the downtown core and McMaster.
The room amenities are good; there is a fridge, microwave, iron, and a great flat screen TV. The staff are fairly courteous, too. Ben and Jenn are outstanding at the front desk.
The free breakfast which starts at 6 am is carb heavy, but plentiful and the coffee is good. The overnight clerk does a good job setting it up and is happy to assist with figuring out the toaster etc.
The one drawback can be the teams and children who tend to populate the hotel. They can be quite noisy running up and down the hallways. However, the front desk will deal with it if you complain.
I think the second floor at the rear is the best location, due to proximity to the street.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank mycallingcard
Appreciate your repeat business and your excellent comments. See you soon. All the best.

GeneralManager
Hamilton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2011

I stayed at this hotel twice when visiting hamilton and you get what you pay for. Cheap prices but not the cleanest rooms. Carpets were stained which was kind of concerning and the beds are AWFUL. I have the worst sleeps and my back ends up killing me in the morning. I would suggest staying at a different hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank xxlove
daysinnhamilton, General Manager at Days Inn Hamilton, responded to this review, 15 February 2011
I am really sorry that you did not have a good experience at our hotel. I can assure that you will have a better experience next time.

Azim Kassam

Travellers are raving about these Hamilton hotels

Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2011

I was on business in downtown Hamilton recently and stayed at Days Inn.
The location was convenient and I walked most days to the convention centre. However I don`t advise you do this at dark. The desk clerks, both night and day were excellent and I used the breakfast room 2 days out of the 4 and it was ok.
My room was very clean and spacious. I was in room 222 at the rear of the hotel, which I requested and it was VERY quiet.. The only downer was the crowd of smokers hanging around the front of the hotel in the morning in their pajamas. My advice, build a small enclosed gazebo for them so they don`t crowd the hotel front. I appreciated the NON-SMOKING policy. As for a food tip!! La Cantina LA very average... not impressed save your money... The best meal was a small quaint place called KOOSH !! Fantastic food, all origional recipes and hand made pasta from the chef who personally greets you and makes you feel like he genuinely appreciates you there. Its about a 10 minute cab ride but worth every cent. Reserve a table as its only got around 12 and fills up fast.
All in all, if you have to be in Hamilton... stay at the Days Inn and explore the restaurant and nite life around Mcmaster Uni.
Thanks Days Inn , I will be back.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
daysinnhamilton, General Manager at Days Inn Hamilton, responded to this review, 25 January 2011
Appreciate your time for the honest and excellent recommendations. All the best.

Sarnia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2011

We appreciated the early check in and free parking which allowed us to visit with family living nearby. The breakfast was first class and the opportunity to leave our car in the parking lot after checking out was an added bonus to our delightful stay.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
daysinnhamilton, General Manager at Days Inn Hamilton, responded to this review, 20 January 2011
Thank you for your kind words.