“Nice enough place, decent value”
Review of Quality Hotel

Quality Hotel
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Hamilton
Pickering, Canada
“Nice enough place, decent value”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I'm a big fan of Holiday Inn Express - stayed at many over the last few years. This one, as another reviewer noted, is a little bit below their usual excellent standard. Hard to pin down exactly what it is about the place that lends that impression: the hallway ceilings seem unusually low, leading to a dark, cramped effect. They've done a bit of a slap-dash paint job on the room doors - you can see excess paint where someone should have done some taping and didn't. The room was fine. We were "upgraded" to a jacuzzi room with a queen bed...the tub was nice, I'll admit but we had reserved a room with a king bed. I think this upgrade was just an admission that they didn't have the room we'd asked for. Also, travelers should be aware that there is a garbage dump/transfer station around the corner and we could smell it from time to time while outside. Never while inside though.

Apart from that, still decent and we didn't regret staying there. Room was in good shape, didn't find it dated at all. Everything worked including the jacuzzi. A shelf in the bathroom needed minor repair, we advised the front desk upon departure. The included breakfast was good as always, staff very polite. All the other Holiday Inn Express locations I've stayed at have rated 5 stars, this one gets a 4. Still would stay there again, as the location suited our needs perfectly.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elwood2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

We picked this hotel partly because of the name and partly because of the location. Most Holiday Inn Express hotels are pretty updated and modern and you kind of expect a standard of accommodation. This one is not. The room is clean, but very dated. The furniture is from the 70's. Our first room smelled of strong stale cigarette smoke, and we asked for another room. The air coming from the second room AC was very musty. It stinks. When we asked about getting a new room to get away from the cigarette smell, the staff told us that they have been smoke free for 2 years but they still have several rooms that smell like cigarettes. They very graciously put us in a new room without question. The staff is very nice. Our second room just smells old. This hotel is tucked into an industrial area and near a highway. There is breakfast themed restaurant attached but not much else within walking distance. Fast food and other chain restaurants are within driving distance. I would stay elsewhere if I come back to Hamilton.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Dear Greg C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online.

However, I am sorry to hear that you didn't find your room to your liking. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the dissatisfaction this has caused you and we deeply regret the inconvenience the smell has brought you. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable accommodations.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future and make your stay as best as it can be.

Dhan M
Daytona Beach, FL
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Located in the warehouse district between Hamilton and Stoney Creek, Ontario, this was a pleasant surprise at the end of a long day of travel. The room was clean and well cared for, the bed was comfortable, and they do have a free "continental style" breakfast. The staff was polite and professional. I'm not sure I would have found it without the GPS. The hotel is easily seen from the highway, but one has to drive "around the block" through the warehouse area to reach it. I will stay here again, the next time I am in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2013

this hotel is on the old side, but overall it is OK. The beds are comfortable, the front desk associate was very pleasant when we checked in. The only downside to it was the breakfast, I was a bit dissapointed that there were no omelettes for breakfast considering it was a Friday. I would come back if I had to.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Not the quality expected from a Holiday Inn Express. Early March visit, inside hotel temp was likely high 80's F temperature. Airconditioner was so loud it stopped me from sleeping. Nearby party started at 2 am and I could hear the people talking through the air vent across from my bed. Called front desk at 2:45am , nothing happened, and I could even hear the yelling over the AC. Called again at 3:15 and even offered them to hear it in my room. Finally subsided at 3:30 am and the next morning, the explanation was that the party was from two floors down, and only started at 3 am and they only checked out my floor and the one above and below. Find it hard that air vents skip a floor. I also find their time record keeping disappointing. Is there not a security guard that is supposed to walk the floors at least sometime within that 1.25 hour period? Food at breakfast okay but at that point I was not a poster child for "I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express lastnight".

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2013
Dear Mark L,

Ferdinand G.
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Hamilton hotels

ontario
Reviewed 11 March 2013

our family stayed at this hotel a few days during a very difficult time - the staff were excellent and even provided us with a better rate due to our circumstances... the hotel is quiet, comfortable and easy to locate.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I stayed at this property for one night on a business trip. Normally I'm quite happy with Holiday Inn Express properties as they are usually newer properties with clean simple modern rooms. This hotel definitely looks like it was some other property and converted over to an HI Express. The rooms were quite old inside and needed a major refresh. The bedding just felt old and used. Breakfast was your typical fare from a HI Express and was good. The check-in process was fairly easy and I got a little snack pack for being a Priority Club Member. If you don't have a car there really aren't any restaurants that you can go to within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2013
Dear Gord_Mtl,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had because of the room conditions. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. I hope to have the opportunity in welcoming you back to stay with us and hope that this occasion did not deter you from staying with us again.

Janice A