“Value for money”
Review of Hamilton Inn

Hamilton Inn
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Hamilton
Reviewed 6 June 2009

I stayed with three of my friends at the Inn for three days. We were there for our exchange program at the McMaster University and needed a place for few days to look for an apartment for rent.

We took a large room at the Inn (for four people). The rooms are comfortable with nice beds and are equipped with basic necessities including TV etc.

The place is pretty nice and quiet, though a bit away from the main market.

Since we were students, we found the place a good value for money.

Stayed: January 2006
1  Thank AK05

Reviewed 12 March 2009

First I read the most recent reviews on this site and satisfied with that I contacted the hotel to book the room. We required parking for our large tractor/trailer and we also travel with our two small dogs. The owner was very friendly on the phone and we decided to book our stay with them.
We arrived in the early evening hours and had to park in the turn lane of the street while we checked in. The man who was in charge of renovation work at the hotel helped to block traffic so we could back our truck into their limited parking space.
We had requested a kitchenette and upon arrival were told that the only kitchenette available had not yet been remodeled. Since there was not a wide selection of restaurants within walking distance, we settled on the unimproved kitchenette unit.
To be fair, they actually are in the process of remodeling all of the units, but most of them have not been completed as a couple of the reviews will lead you to believe. I personally did not see what the newly renovated units were like.
LIKES:
Quiet and reasonably safe area.
Very friendly and helpful staff and full time residents.
Price, we paid about $250 USD for a one week stay.
Pet friendly, but I think there was a pet fee included in the rate.
Shower had awesome water pressure and plenty of HOT water.
Free wireless internet, fast and without interruptions.

DISLIKES:
Housekeeping standards not up to par.
Sheets and towels in poor condition, I brought my own.
Radiant heat, it always seems to be too hot or too cold.
Kitchenette appliances way outdated, but in working condition.
Cigarette smoke seeps in from other rooms.
No mirror in bathroom.
Toilet leaked water and clogged up two or three times.
Electrical outlets worn out and loose.
Furniture falling apart, had to ask for dishes/cookware/table.
We were constantly tracking in cinders from the parking lot.

A WORD OF CAUTION: if you have small children or pets please be careful of the ravine behind the hotel. It is only blocked off with plastic snow fencing. Our dog jerked her leash out of my hand and took off after a squirrel. She fell off about an 8' drop and was hurt so bad she could not walk for several days. We had to make a trip to an emergency veterinary clinic which set us back almost $500 after the examination, x-rays and medications.

In conclusion...they really are in the process of remodeling the units and even adding new televisions. I would recommend staying here if you call ahead and are able to book a newly refurbished room. They are super nice people who don't bother you or treat you like you are going to tear something up or steal from them. We even stayed at another hotel they own in Sarnia on our way back home to the states.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank GTS8704
Reviewed 8 November 2008

I stayed at this place a year ago and it was in bad shape..but things are changed now and its nothing like it used to be. The room was very nice and clean and full renovated. All the things have been replaced and it has a whole new reputation. I highly reccomend this place for everyone.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank Andy1612
Reviewed 6 November 2008

I Have stayed at this hotel when it was own by other people, and I must say it was one of the worst motels I ever stayed in.....Thats not the case anymore. The new owners have done so very much to improve this motel. They have completly renovated the property, from the front lot and office to every individual room. The staff was very friendly and the value is unbeatable in this city. The room I stayed in cost me $64.00 can. and the room was very clean and fullfilled more then I expected for the money I payed. I would recommend this motel to anyone looking to save a few bucks and not want to resort to staying in a dump. This is litterly the best motel in the city, kudo's to the new owners.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 August 2008

UNBELIEVABLE, They called us up the DAY before we were to stay there, and told us they could not provide our room. They had overbooked, even though we had booked and given them our credit card, several weeks previous. Aman bluntly indicated we were SOL!! We had to file a complaint, and were able to get another motel, many KM away. Buyer be very aware.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2008

When I read the reviews and was very scared of the hotel. When I called it up and asked about it, they said that they had just purchased it a few months previously and were renovating. Because the price was right, I chose it. I am VERY glad that I did. they have replaced all of the carpets in the hotel, and the matresses, and have replaced all the staff as well as they repaved the entire lot during my second week (it was a big pothole prior to the repaving). The room was cleaned imaculately (to the point that the housekeeper even did my dishes that I neglected to do myself, and tidied up around my work area as well). The room was large, and the kitchenette was great. I have stayed here for 4 weeks, when I returned for my last week, I noticed my microwave was not in the room as requested, the response I got was "oh, something was wrong wiht it, how soon do you need one?" When I said it would be good to have the night I arrived, they went out and BOUGHT ONE. When I left my lights on, they boosted me... When I return home, I will be telling my boss to send ALL of our future clients, and candidates here, great location, fantastic rate, CLEAN, and friendly staff, and FANTASTIC Service... is there really anything else??

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank thewoozer
Reviewed 23 August 2007

Well after trying out the few motels in Hamilton, this one is best located.

It is in the center between Dundas, Hamilton and Ancaster. 5 mins from each direction.

I stayed in a Non-Smoking room for 2 nights and the staff was very helpful and nice.

For the price they are the best. They were undergoing some renovations in the rooms around mine, but were very respectful and minimized the amount of discomfort.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business