“Beautiful birds”

Hamilton, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful birds”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

The birds here are beautiful. The staff that I met were very knowledgeable and they love the birds (they are all volunteers). The only downside to the visit was that I was hoping to take a lot of great pictures but most of the birds weren't allowed out of their cages at the time so all of my pictures have the cage bars in them. Other than that the visit was very enjoyable.

1 Thank Coeli S

Ancaster
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Parrots and parakeets”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Staff were pleasant - I would have liked to see more variety of birds; also bird-baths were all empty and it was actually a very hot day. I felt sorry for those who might have wanted to bathe

Visited May 2012
Hamilton, Canada
375 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 373 helpful votes
“Disappointing - Showing its Age”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

When I first visited the Aviary about twelve years ago it was a good experience. When I took my grandchildren this summer (2012) it was quite disappointing. The first thing that greets you when you come in is a compost heap that belongs to the community garden that shares the land withe aviary. It was a hot day and just not a pleasant site. The grounds around the aviary were is poor shape and meter tall thistles and other weeds were growing in front of the viewing areas at the front of the building - not that there were any birds to see! Some of cages had plywood barriers in them so the birds could get shelter but the boards need paint and were badly chewed. The whole place just seemed neglected. We saw several finches, a macaw, a couple of parrots, a peacock family, and a couple of roosters. I guess the other birds were inside the building away from the heat. I understand that there are tours at times -perhaps we should have gone then. Although the admission was free, the parking lot is not. It is the only parking lot in the world that I have seen with a $99.00 maximum!

In summary, disappointing. If you want to take a few minutes to see a couple of parrots and finches then fine, but after about ten minutes there is not much to do.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank trainfan2000
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Animal lovers will enjoy the location”
Reviewed 19 May 2012

The birds (Hamilton Aviary) used to be located at Dundurn Castle ( a tourist location in the city - ancestor home of one of Camila - Duchess of Cormwall's relatives). The kids will love seeing and talking to some of the parrots. Some of the parrots can speak. Love going there ...

1 Thank SandraMillarCanada
Ontario
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“hidden gem ran by volunteers and entry by donation”
Reviewed 20 December 2011

I had no idea this place was here till I saw a notice about it at my work place, what a wonderful establishment and primarily ran by volunteers. Entry is by donation, so most people will be generous (I would hope).. the birds are such characters and I had no idea how intelligent they are. Because so many of the birds were former pets they are very chatty and are quite entertaining, some also have emotional issues and I was fascinated watching the one bird in particular have a tantrum! What is nice is that often a staff or volunteer will take out a bird for children to observe them more closely. Such a pretty setting as well, although the building itself should be much bigger, hopefully in time when they get more money/funding.

Visited July 2011