“Not The Most Attractive Area Of Town”

Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Hamilton
Ontario, Canada
“Not The Most Attractive Area Of Town”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Checked in on New Year's Day with my husband and 21 yr old son as he had an exam to write the following day. Chose the hotel based on the proximity to the school. Thought the downtown location would be good to kill some time in, however being New Year's Day, nothing was open. We were surprised at the people asking for money outside of the hotel area. Parking was in an attached underground garage, however it was an additional $8 per day. The lady working the front desk was very pleasant and tried very hard to find us a restaurant that was open...however we ended up at Tim Hortons. The music piped in the lobby was too loud while trying to conduct the check in business. The guest floors were accessible by your key only. Tried the gym looking for a treadmill but there were only elipticals, free weights and some bikes. None of the bike equipment screens would power on, guess all need a replacement battery...kind of annoying. There was a nice pool area and hot tub off the exercise room. Our room was 811 and included two queen beds. A packet containing ear plugs, an eye mask and some lavender spray was included in the room. Wired internet included (bring your own cord) or wireless. Had breakfast the next morning in the on site restaurant (that was closed the night before but is usually opened all day) and it was very good and the server was very nice. Would stay here again if we have to be in the area.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sandye7685
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Thanks Sandye7685 for your review and recommendation! We appreciate hearing from you and taking the time to share your comments. All feedback is valuable to us so that we can perfect our guests’ experiences. Thanks for taking the time to add photos to your review. Your business is important to us and we look forward to seeing you again!

Best regards,
Andrew Holmes, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
NW Ontario
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Pros: Walking distance from GO transit station and Copps Coliseum
-Spa services available on site for additional cost, which my husband enjoyed
-Restaurant with good food and decent prices.
-Gift of sleep essential items (eye mask, lavendar linen spray, ear plugs)
-Decent price
Cons: Bathroom small...the toilet was right in front of the sink, very tight squeeze
-the area surrounding hotel is not very nice.
-the neighbourhood was not very nice, lots of rough looking people about, and not a lot of restaurants that appealed to me (but may appeal to other people)
-rowdy, loud guests on our floor (first)...however, we were all there for a Guns N' Roses concert, so that probably explains it ;)
-tv remote and one telephone didn't work, but not enough of a concern for us to call front desk, if we had it probably would have been taken care of right away.
Overall pleasant experience...front desk accomodated early check in and late checkout with no issues. There is a pool on site, didn't use it but it looked very nice.

Room Tip: Pool and spa services are on first floor, so lots of traffic on that floor.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelphoodie1979
vancouver
Reviewed 28 November 2011

First time in Hamilton and stayed at Crwone Plaza for the weekend. Your rooms are typical rooms; though me and others thought the bathrooms are a bit small. But i also heard that the bathrooms are smaller on the upper floors (i was on the 8th) than the lower floors (friends were on the 1st).

Staff were helpful enough. Asked for bottled water at night, and was provided. the guests next door came in at 2am and decided to have a party. The walls are paper thin and I actually got woken up in the middle of my sleep. I called the front desk to lodge my complaint and the noise was promptly dealt with! Try to not get a room facing the elevators, u will hear them go up and down all night.

also, this might seem a bit daft, but a lot of us has the same 'problem'. We thought there wasn't black out blinds in the windows and slept with the light from te street coming in!! and because the hotel provided earplugs and a sleep mask, we thought 'oh that's why there's a sleep mask, thats why theres no black out curtains'. But actually, the next day, we discovered that the black out curtains were hidden behind the sheer curtains!!! Trust me, it wasn't just me, more than a few people had that mistaken lol!

Was going to try the pool and hot tub but didn't have time, but the pool area looked like it was pretty decent size and it goes as deep as 7 feet.

And as other posts mentioned, there were a lot of student activity going in out of lobby. But I don't think the students are allowed to use the faculties and restaurants.

Location was downtown Hamilton, quite a few restaurants an pubs around. Hotel restaurant had crappy coffee FYI.

Other than that, it was an okay hotel. Nothing above and beyond. Conference paid for hotel so if u got a decent deal, it's not bad.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank pinkstrwbery
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Stayed at this hotel on a business trip twice.

Pros: Room, Customer Service, and Hotel Restaurant

Customer service was by far very good.

The food from the hotel restaurant was very good and prices very decent. I really enjoyed the service from the waitresses always nice to talk to and funny.

The room was very clean and comfortable. Overall the hotel is great solely for sleeping and nothing else!

Cons: Noise, Internet services, School Bus, Location

The room was located on the first floor across from one of the conference rooms. Throughout the week there seems to be a class held there. I hardly had one wink of sleep because of all the running back and forth the hall and the unusual rappings from someone at the door. During the middle of the morning, I would be rudely awakened the sound of street cleaners down in the streets below. In the bathroom, I could always hear this squeaking sound...at times I thought the hotel had mice or something...perhaps it was a leaky pipe.

The internet is pretty much crap for both wireless and wired connections. A dial-up connection is pretty much better than what Crowne Plaza offers. In order to read any e-mail from my work I had to connect to use my smartphone. I finally got fed up trying to constantly refresh the webpage to load a website. I think half the problem is probably the hotel not putting a password on their wireless router.

The power receptacle at the desk was broken, which made inconvinient for charging up my laptop.

In the mornings, I have to take a taxi to get to my workplace for training. Everyday I was there I ended up being late because of school buses blocking the exit area in front of the hotel. The taxi driver everytime complained to the bus drivers that they need to make space, but they refuse to back up. They laughed at the taxi driver as he tried to squeeze out of the parking lot. The last day the taxi driver had to drive over the curb just to get out...that is just ridiculous! One morning I was waiting for an elavator to goto my room and just as the doors open I almost get run over by female students dressed in uniforms. The girls dashed out of the elavator bumping right in to me without not even the common courtesy to apolgize...they instead run out of the hotel to hop the "same" buses outside which made me late for work.

The hotel is located directly downtown. Me and friend decided to go out for a walk outside the hotel during the evening...big mistake! Drug dealers, people dressed up in black clothes staring you down if you look at them, and the yelling and cries of the homeless people. I could not help but keep looking over my shoulder because i was afraid someone was going to mug me. Just to avoid going outside to look for something to eat for supper, I, and my co-workers always went to the restaurant inside the hotel for our meals. The second stay in Hamilton...we always stayed in the hotel during the evening.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank CJB123456789
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I was in town on business for 3 nights and the person coordinating our travels booked our rooms at the hotel. I am a platinum level priority club member so I was happy to get the extra points. I was a bit disappointed that I was not upgraded on the room. I overheard the receptionist later having a discussion with the valet parking attendant that the customers should not upset her as she could put them in rooms that weren't that great. I was a bit surprised to hear this as she said it while I was sitting in the couch not far from the front desk. I don't think that it was directed at me but am still surpised that she said it at all.

The hotel itself is in good shape with the rooms being clean and everything in working order. I will agree that the bathroom (at least in 728) is quite small for a bigger person. The king size bed is comfortable and the TV is a nice flat screen. I would have liked to have seen a safe in the room but it is not the downgrading my review. I was on the 7th floor and had access to the executive level room that includes a complimentary continental breakfast as well as a computer for checking email, etc. There is also a business centre in a seperate location that I tried as well and was in good working order. I had dinner at the restaurant the first night of my stay. Overall the food was good (I had a pizza) and the beer was cold which is what I was looking for. An interesting note is the number of what appear to be full time students that live at the hotel. With that being said I did not have any on my floor as I think they are mostly in the lower floors. We had some members of my group on the lower floor and they were not disturbed by the students.

Room Tip: I had a room that was away from the front of the building and was quite--room 728.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank stroudcrowd
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager IHG Care at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 25 November 2011
Dear stroudcrowd,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear that you were overall please with your stay.
I am concerned about the conversation you heard between the front desk agent and
the valet and I apologize for that. I am forwarding your review to upper management of the hotel so they can go over it with the staff. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Hope to see you again soon.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHG Care
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Beautiful hotel, good location and the service was excellent.
The only drawback is the rooms are a little small but they are very clean.

• Stayed October 2011
Ottawa
Reviewed 3 November 2011

In town for a wedding so not downtown too much. Room was large and seemed recently renovated. Staff were friendly and helpful. Restaurant was excellent but underused. Easy access once you know where you are!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple