“Don't let the exterior fool you!”

Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Hamilton
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a night after we were a bit too lazy to drive home, and because I couldn't turn down the fantastic offer I received when using my points. I'm an IHG Platinum member.

This is one of those places that doesn't look great on the outside, but inside its great!

We stayed in room 731, which was an executive king room. It was of an average size, but was well decorated and clean.

Was given a coupon for free appetizers and breakfast. The chicken wings and fries were AMAZING, but we slept through the breakfast :(

Parking attendant (operated by a different company) was very rude, slow, and grouchy. Seems I'm not the only one to complain.

This hotel has an OUTSTANDING pool area...in fact one of the best I've ever seen in a hotel. The pool and hot tub were surprisingly large and were very clean and heated to the perfect temperature. There was also a kid's pool.

Special kudos to Doug for making the stay very pleasant!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

cober6711,
Thank you for writing a review regarding your stay with us at Crowne Plaza Hamilton. We're happy to have had you as our guest, and we're glad our clean accommodations, value added amenities, and pool area exceeded your expectations. I'll make sure Doug receives a special commendation for delivering outstanding service and making for a pleasant stay. We appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize for your unfortunate experience with the parking attendant. We value you as our guest and we hope to welcome you back again in the near future. Thank you once again for writing.

There are newer reviews for Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed the weekend of July 28th in a two queen bed room. We were able to check in early which was a bonus, as we were attending a convention at the Hamilton Convention Centre which was a short walk away. Unfortunately, we didn't go up to the room until our convention was over; when my roommate took a shower, he realized the bathtub wouldn't drain. We figured it was a slow drain and left it, but it didn't end up draining at all. We made a call to the front desk to have someone come up, and no one came.

When washing my hands in the sink, I realized while the tap was on my feet were getting wet. I turned off the tap to see water flowing from a detached pipe all over the bathroom floor. This time we called the desk upset and someone finally came to fix it. Unfortunately, the fix took over two hours and requests to move were denied (we were told we could have a room with one king bed, which was not accommodating for our party of four and they couldn't upgrade us to a king bed and pullout sofabed room free of charge, despite the inconvenience) so we had to deal with that too. At least the maintenance man was friendly enough.

We had a lousy sleep thanks to rowdy neighbors and by the morning we just wanted to leave. We mentioned at check out what a big problem we had the evening before with the bathrooms--a man rudely interjected me as I was talking to the female receptionist at the desk, telling me that he was the one that dealt with our issue last night and that we were offered to move. I reminded him he offered us a king bed that is not suitable for four and he became even more rude, telling us we were liars. Talk about lack of customer service.

This was one of the worst experiences I've ever had at a hotel and I will never return. If you are considering this property, it is a prime location to the Convention Centre but keep in mind what you have in convenience you will find lacking in outdated, broken bathrooms and rude staff. Try the Sheraton connected to the Convention Centre instead--they are almost the same price and you will likely have a much better experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank stephasaurus
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

stephasaurus,
Thank you for sharing feedback. We sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience you had and would certainly never want to leave you with a poor impression. I'm very sorry we were unable to provide you with the exceptional stay and service that you deserve. Please know that your comments are being addressed with our team and additional steps will be taken to ensure we're doing all we can to serve our guests. We apologize again for the problems and inconveniences you experienced, and we do hope you'll give us another chance to provide a more positive experience the next time you travel to the area. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Another fabulous stay..From Doug who answered my phone call,to Both Christine and Dawn on the front desk,they went above and beyond my expectations..Rooms were very clean and comfortable as always,will definitely return,my favorite place to stay when in the hamilton area

Room Tip: room on the front,great view
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

brian k,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your experience at Crowne Plaza Hamilton. It's fantastic to hear all the aspects that made your stay fabulous. We appreciate your compliments regarding our clean and comfortable accommodations, but most importantly our staff. We have a special team of associates that are dedicated to sincere hospitality and strive daily to provide an exceptional stay for each guest. I look forward to sharing your kind comments with our team and recognizing Doug, Christina, and Dawn with special commendations for exceeding your expectations. We're thrilled to be your favorite hotel in Hamilton, and we look forward to your next visit. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Ok so we stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Hamilton on Thursday Oct 17th 2013.
Upon checking in we had to find a place to park as the hotel offers no parking.
There was a lot accross the road which was good except it was unattended and you could only pay for a day pass until 5pm, so at 5pm I had to go back and pay for a overnight pass. And the overnight pass was good until 6am so yep you guessed it, we we're supposed to go back and get another pass or risk getting ticketed.
We risked it, we checked out at 9:30am and arrived just in time as the guy was writing tickets.
I understand this isn't a hotel issue, but something one should know while booking a hotel.

The hotel was really nice, a jet tub, clean room, comfy bed & pillows, friendly enough staff and walking distance to the Copps coliseum which is what we did for a concert.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kingheff

kingheff,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your stay. I'm glad you enjoyed our clean and comfortable accommodations, and found our central location well suited for your travels. I sincerely apologize for the frustrations you encountered parking your vehicle, as well as any inconveniences you experienced as a result. We value you as our guest, and we hope to welcome you back again in the future. Thank you once again for writing.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Nice, clean rooms, but nothing special. Nice warm decor which makes rooms quite cozy. Downsides include the incredibly small bathrooms. Free Globe and Mail which was appreciated. Good, free parking and great location.

On the first night, our heating/cooling unit was on the fritz and resulted in a pretty restless sleep. On the second day we were moved to a room with a working system and slept great.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SirGallivants
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

nrjluvs2travel,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. All feedback is valuable to us so that we can perfect our guests’ experiences. The issues you mentioned will be addressed immediately to ensure all rooms meet our high Marriott standards. Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope this experience does not deter you from staying with Courtyard in the future.

Debbie Heming, General Manager

Reviewed 20 September 2013

I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza for a sports tournament being held in the area. I had a terrible, terrible day when I arrived late on Friday night. Too much driving, too much stress. I was absolutely wiped.

Upon arrival, the front desk staff member was friendly and quick to check me in. I am a Rewards Club (previously known as Priority Club) and was put on their Executive Floor. The front desk mentioned that I would have access to the Executive Lounge, but I was so tired, I didn't really think much of it.

When I got to the room, all I could think was how incredibly comfortable the bed was, specifically the pillow, and zonked out.

In the morning, I woke up early, knowing I would have to be quick if I hoped to find a grocery store and pick up a quick bite so I would be ready for the tournament. In my rush, I happened to glance into the Executive Lounge. My god! It was filled with breakfast goodies, including freshly sliced fruit, yogurt and, wait for it - Fruit Loops and Quaker Oats Hot Cereal! You don't know me, but I am a health nut, who still lusts for sugar cereal. I loaded up with a fresh muffin, fruit, an apple for the road, hot cereal and OJ. I finally, for the first time in days, had a chance to sit and enjoy a quiet moment to myself and eat foods I normally never get to eat. It was amazing. Then, I noticed the kitchen. I was able to make a basic PB&J sandwich, fill my waterbottles, and even threw my icepacks into the freezer to refreeze for the following day. My homemade smoothies went into the fridge with my name carefully written on them, so I knew they wouldn't spoil sitting in a make-shift cooler in my bathroom sink. I enjoyed a hot cup of tea, without having to find a drive-thru on my way to the highway with the handy to-go cups the hotel had provided. Really, this was the highlight of my incredibly busy, very stressful week.

I know I am gushing over what is essentially a basic continental breakfast, but it made my whole weekend. I was so excited to raid it on day two as well. This time, I had Fruit Loops. It was awesome.

Overall, the hotel was great. The parking lot is a little tight for someone who drives a large pick-up, but hey, it worked with some help from another couple watching my blindspots and guiding me in so I wouldn't nick a post. Plus, I didn't have to trudge my luggage too far when I was exhausted. The pool and hot tub were wonderful and a treat at the end of the long activity-filled day. The free wi-fi, meant I could chill out with my iPad and enjoy Netflix in my room with a cup of tea at the end of the night. There is even a fabulous little Irish pub only a few short blocks away which serves a great veggie burger and some seriously good coleslaw.

For the weary traveller, this place was great.

Sincere thanks.

Room Tip: If you are a Rewards Club member, the 7th Floor with the Executive Lounge is the one to ask for!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Sweetpeablooms,
Thank you for writing a review! I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We take a lot of care into our breakfast selection and I am glad you found it enjoyable. We look forward to see you again when you are in the area!

Thanks again,

Reviewed 15 September 2013

LOCATION: Self-parking at the hotel's indoor car park cost CAD 8 plus tax.

HOTEL: Fast, friendly check-in. Bright room. OK beds and pillows. Decent shower water pressure. Loud, but efficient A/C. A room facing the main road could be noisy at night due to the traffic and police car siren. Decent breakfast.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

HKasyouare,
Thank you for your review and recommendation! We’re so glad you enjoy staying with us; we greatly appreciate your business and taking the time to share your comments.

Yours truly,