“Lunch”

Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Was a first-timer to Jack and Lois on a Friday for a late lunch & I wasn’t wow’d at all.
I knew that the décor had a vintage/eclectic theme, however was overall disappointed in the experience.
First off, I will say that the food tasted fine – we both thought the food was good. Nothing exceptional, but good. The menu online shows LOWER prices than are actually in the restaurant. In-store it says that the prices include taxes, but its still higher than the online menu. Also online menu showed a bunch of parm sandwiches that were not available inside when we sat down. So our first experience was that we were disappointed that the menus didn’t match. I had the Early Bird Chicken sandwich special, and my husband had the Hummingbird breakfast. They forgot to give him the 2X Stuffed Angels with his meal – and he doesn’t like to make a fuss so he wouldn’t let me tell them. Cutlery was very cheap, glasses were quite old and scratched. Menus were in plastic sleeves. Everything about the place felt like a greasy spoon – but at above average prices. 1 week prior we had lunch at The French down the street, for the EXACT SAME PRICE and it’s a WAY better eating experience with good cutlery, and good stemware, and good plates. Knowing that, I’d go to any of the other places around before returning to Jack and Lois for an over-priced meal.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have been to Jack and Lois a few times over the past few years and it was usually pretty good, but my boyfriend (who lives out of town) has never been before last night - so I thought it would be the perfect place to go, sadly I thought wrong.
It was a Saturday night so it was pretty busy, and our server was friendly. Customers who sat down after us got their food about 20 mins earlier than we did. The server apologized a few times, and said that they were just waiting for one our buns and that at least it will be nice and fresh. We didn't have a problem waiting, and told her it was OK (since we expected a yummy, hot meal). When our food got to our table, it was ICE COLD. The fries tasted as though they were sitting on the counter for the past 30 minutes, and were so heavily seasoned I couldn't even eat them. The sandwiches were subpar and also cold - and on top of everything it was $20 a plate. It was really disappointing and a waste of money. I probably wouldn't bother going again, and risking wasting my money on another cold, poorly made meal.

1  Thank Katewhyte
Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

Awesome , a good selection veggie meal. Fries are spectacular. Nice wait staff. We are going to return for breakfast and dinner (but not in the same day)

Reviewed 14 May 2018

I have only been here once for breakfast but I most definitely had a hard time choosing! Breakfast was very tasty and the restaurant has a very cool atmosphere. I would love to return for lunch or dinner sometime.

Reviewed 6 May 2018

I like to support the Mom and Pop restaurants and cafes in Hamilton. Jack and Lois is a very cool looking retro restaurant - and was busy when I arrived. They had some soups available so I took the roasted tomato. They severed a medium sized bowl on a small cool tray without a cracker or bread. And for a lot of soup that might be fine. But this soup had the texture of two tablespoons of ketchup stirred into boiling water. I'm not saying that was the preparation. But it was a broth with no body. And then it cost $5.50 - and tip. The price I think is pretty regular but the offering just seemed so not worth it. If I go again I'll study the menu more carefully and ask questions.