“Can't complain...”

Dining options: Dinner, Waitstaff
Hamilton, Canada
“Can't complain...”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I was intrigued by the name. I'm still trying to figure out what a figure from Roman mythology has to do with Korean food. I also couldn't understand why there was a wizard-of-Oz-ish video playing in the dining room Doesn't matter. The food is good and plentiful, and the price is reasonable. The corn and barley tea is distinctive and grows on you. The appetizer of Korean sausage and liver featured tasty but somewhat glutinous blood sausage plus a small bit of sliced liver. Both tasty. The seafood pancake was superb. My one complaint was that it would seem they've dumbed down the spicing for us timid Caucasians. The homemade kimchee and the radish appetizer both lacked the expected bite, though my dining companion, who was new to Korean food, still found them a bit too spicy for her liking. While I've had better Korean food, I would go back again. There's lots on the menu, and I hear the pork bone soup is worth trying.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Gretchen49

Hamilton, Canada
“Great food and friendly staff”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We tried the new Owl and Minerva a couple of weeks back, curious about what it was like inside (there are not windows that see into the restaurant). We were very pleasantly surprised. The food was fantastic and reasonably priced. Great service as well. My only complaint is that for the entire time we were in the restaurant there was a music video playing on a repeat loop. The song was depressing and played over and over. My suggestion would be to get a good muzak station going or something. Towards the end it was driving us nuts. Otherwise, a good experience. We will return.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank ilove2travel77
Brantford, Canada
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Perhaps our expectations were too high, but we heard good things about other Owl of Minerva Resaurants in other cities so we thought we were in for a good meal. The opposite was true as we were disappointed in our Kamjatang (pork Bone Soup), which was not spicy enough and had odd seasonings. The amount if meat was meagre compared with our favoured Korean restaurant on a different street in Hamilton. The Tangsuyuk (sweet and sour pork) was also not so great. They put an effort into the decor, but it was not remotely Korean and a bit on the tacky side. The Korean pop show on TV was too loud. From now on, we'll stick to the other Korean Restaurant that we like much better.

• Visited November 2013