“Excellent history lesson”

HMCS Haida National Historic Site
Ranked #2 of 186 things to do in Hamilton
More attraction details
Owner description: This WWII Tribal Class destroyer is now a floating memorial and naval museum.
Reviewed 15 September 2017

We visited today with our 11 year old grandson and enjoyed the experience. For seniors such as ourselves we know more about WWII history having fathers who served during that time and can appreciate more their experiences fighting for the freedoms we enjoy. For the younger generation it teaches them to appreciate the sacrifices of living onboard a ship with very few amenities, away from your loved ones and also the fear of what lies ahead as reality rather than fiction in the video games they play. Take advantage of a free visit during 2017 with your Discovery Pass.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"scavenger hunt"
"history lesson"

Reviewed 9 September 2017

My father served as a stoker on a Navy frigate during WWII. He enlisted at 18 years old and served from 1943 until the end in 1945. Today he is 92 years old and still tells stories of his time at sea. The Haida was not his ship but a trip aboard certainly does bring the horror of the times to life. I cannot imagine living with 200 other individuals in those cramped quarters, hanging in a "mick" above others eating, smoking or playing cards, and a 3 minute shower every 3rd day? Over and above living conditions is the uncertainty of life itself, the threat of a torpedo and the harsh weather conditions on the North Atlantic. Our self guided tour of the Haida was very emotional for me and I found myself in tears several times as I imagined my Dad, a boy really, living through those terrible times. I feel very proud and grateful for the sacrifice of so many. A trip aboard the Haida should be a mandatory visit for every Canadian.

1  Thank FarFlungStarling
Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

I'm just enjoying after spending at least two hours aboard Haida. It was ABSOLUTELY FASCINATING! Being able to access just about every nook & cranny of a WW2 destroyer turned me into a 12 year old again. If you have any sense at all of naval military history, YOU GOTTA GO!!

1  Thank Simon B
Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

This would be great for a young person to do a school presentation on....including photos! A great learning experience for all ages as well. This is no cruise ship for sure. Cramped living quarters, very low door frames and an outside bridge that must have been hell in bad weather. I can't imagine months at sea on this ship. Go visit! Write your own review afterward!