“Most authentic German/Austrian food in southern ontario”
Review of Black Forest Inn

Black Forest Inn
Ranked #9 of 1,254 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I started frequenting this restaurant while in high school in the late 1990's. Since then the food has never changed and has always maintained its superior quality. Many of the staff have been there since then and know us very well. As long you don't mind waiting the time to get seated (Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays) it is not uncommon to wait upwards of 1 hour, however the food is well worth it! The restaurant does not take reservations so the earlier you get there for dinner the better. The Jaegerschnitzel and the spaetzel are all time favorites. Their green salad with house dressing is also phenomenal. Staff wear traditional German outfits. Excellent value for prize and food portion.

There are newer reviews for Black Forest Inn

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Try to come at least 45 min before the dinner time because it is always packed with lines and waits.

The portions are huge definite value here for what you spend I your meal.

Fresh food delicious a must try if your in the area.

The interior has an authentic european old school look.

Great for a couple or large groups

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We were in the area and were told to try this place. The location was fine and the food was very good. The interior is a bit dated but similar to what you'd find in small towns in Bavaria. We had a very enjoyable time and the prices were reasonable. We would return the next time we are in town.

1  Thank PumaPaws
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We have been going to the Black Forest Inn since 1960. I was lucky enough to go back to Hamilton this past spring and went with my new wife. Let me tell you folks, the food has NOT changed since when I used to frequent the place in the 70's. Genuine German cuisine. The wait staff is also genuine and very nice and courteous. We went with friends that had never been and were totally impressed. First come first serve with a quaint waiting room were you can have a drink while you wait. I would highly recommend the BFI to anyone traveling to Hamilton. Prost!

1  Thank Tilly1031
Reviewed 30 May 2014

As a first generation Canadian with two parents from Germany, I grew up going to the Black Forest Inn. It's always been a family favourite. Both my sister and I have also swayed her French Canadian husband and my Scottish descendant husband to the love of German cuisine!

My very favourite dish is the Schnitzelburger which isn't a burger at all. It's a half portion schnitzel (the full portion takes up the entire plate!) with homefries. With pretty much every meal you receive either homemade soup or salad of your choice and a basket of bread. I also enjoy their breaded filet of sole, it's breaded, not battered so it is very light. I never liked tartar sauce but love their version, it is light and has a taste of lemon which is perfect with the fish. The prices seem to have stayed the same for years. The Schnitzelburger meal I mentioned is still only $10 and you are definitely full afterward. The value for the money cannot be beat!

The servers are all in traditional German dresses (although I know what they are called in German, I won't attempt to try spelling it). It has a friendly atmosphere and is ALWAYS busy!

It is also just down and across the street from Denninger's which is a German (well food from all over Europe) grocery store. The meat counter (will butcher fresh to order) is second to none and cheeses from around the world, wonderful breads, cakes, pastries and even jarred/canned goods you can only get from a European store. Although they have 3 locations in Hamilton and one in Burlington, it is still a family owned and run business. The parents started the first downtown store (which is still a hub) and then their children took over. Their children are older than my parents. It is another must-see place. I believe the Black Forest gets all of their fresh meat directly from Denninger's. Check it out after you've had a wonderful meal at the Black Forest, I dare you to walk out of there empty handed!

This is definitely a mist-dine restaurant in Hamilton!!

1  Thank Sylvia D