“An Excellent Stay, Thanks To Biba.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kingston
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Tel Aviv, Israel
“An Excellent Stay, Thanks To Biba.”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The Holiday Inn Express in Kingston is a nice property, very conveniently located near the town's entrance, right on the 401 freeway. There are lots of restaurants around it and an outlet shopping center.

Our stay at Kingston was supposed to be just a night stop on our way to tour the 1000 Islands. Fortunately, we arrived much earlier than originally planned and met charming Biba at the front desk. In five minutes she organized us a tour plan for the whole day: she suggested us what to see, where to eat and even made some phone calls for information about operating hours and reservations. This exceptional service from her simply "made our stay" at Kingston, and we thank her for that.

The hotel has a nice indoor pool and gym. Wi-Fi is free, as well as breakfast – which is fair, and rooms are clean and comfortable. When in the 1000 Islands area – I warmly recommend to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Kingston.

Room Tip: Most rooms at Holiday Inn Express are more or less the same.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Brian K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kingston, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you for the wonderful comments; I am glad the staff was able to make your stay so enjoyable.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Turkish first
Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We called the 1-877-660-8550 number to make a reservation at this location. When we called, we were very clear that there were four (4) adults sharing the room. When my husband first called, we were making the reservation for one night only (OCT24). My husband spoke to a gentleman and confirmed the rate of $100.00 (plus applicable taxes)/night for four adults in a non-smoking room with two queen beds. The gentleman asked my husband if there were any special needs/requests and my husband identified that we would be travelling with our parents and our father has challenges walking. The young man said that he would put the request in for a room with a walk-in shower to make it easier. We thanked him very much and he gave us the confirmation number. He then asked us if we were IHG rewards members and it was then that I remembered I had a card so I pulled it from my wallet and we gave him the number. My husband and I have different surnames so when he called my husband by my surname rather than my husband's, we confirmed with him that the reservation was to be made in my husband's surname but yes, the IHG reward card is in my surname. I am 100% certain of what was said during the telephone conversation because my husband is hard of hearing so he uses the "conference/hands free" feature on our phone.

A short while after making the reservation, we were talking to our parents and they suggested we stay for two nights rather than one so my husband called back to add another night (OCT23) to our reservation.

We arrived at the Holiday Inn Express in Kingston early in the afternoon, shortly after 1:30 p.m. When my husband went to see if we could check-in, they were unable to find the reservation. I happened to go into the hotel as it seemed to be taking a long time and my husband asked me if I had written down the confirmation number. I pulled out my iPad and referenced the confirmation number. The hotel clerk pulled up the reservation and proceeded to check us in. As my husband completed the form, we noticed the reference to $130.00 (plus applicable taxes). We immediately asked why there was a difference in price and the two hotels clerks then advised us that it was $100/night for two people and $15/night or each additional person. THIS WAS NOT COMMUNICATED TO US AT ANY POINT WHEN WE WERE MAKING THE RESERVATION and we were VERY clear that the reservation was for four people.

At this point the female hotel clerk said, "we sent you an email advising of this." I again pulled out my iPad and asked where the email had been sent so I could confirm it. At this point she said "well, we don't have an email address on your file." So I asked her, "did you or did you not send the email?" She said nothing.

My husband and I were both upset as our parents were standing there waiting the entire time for this situation to be resolved.

At no point in time did either the male or female hotel clerk offer an apology for the "misunderstanding" or the "lack of communications" on the part of reservations nor did they offer any form of solution other than we pay $130.00 (plus applicable taxes).

The error in communicating the additional costs very well could have been an oversight on the part of reservations but it was certainly not an oversight on our part, we knew we were four adults travelling together and that was how we made the reservation.

We were very disappointed with the lack of customer service shown by these individuals and the unwillingness on their part to acknowledge that this had been an error made by the Holiday Inn Express. This has certainly soured us ... we will definitely pass by any Holiday Inn Express locations in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank justjo008
HotelsKingston, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kingston, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
We are very sorry to hear about your experience and regret that you did not end up staying at our hotel. The additional person fee is $15.00 per person for the third and fourth adult. This policy and grand total was noted on the confirmation that was e-mailed to you. We are sorry that you received inaccurate information about the rate and additional person policy when you were making your reservations via telephone. We will be sure to contact Holiday Inn Express Central Reservations and inform them of this mix up in order to avoid this situation again in the future.
Hull
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We spent two separate one night stays in the Kingston on our trip to USA & Canada going to and coming back from Montreal. Kingston is a pleasant spot to spend a little time by Lake Ontario. The hotel is well situated just off the freeway and a 5 minute minute drive from the waterfront. Our room was spacious, clean and up to the usual standard expected of the brand, staff were very friendly and helped all they could. Breakfast was perfectly adequate, hot and cold selection set us up for the day.
Recommended for a short stay to visit the 1000 islands etc.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your positive comments; we look forward to welcoming you back.
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I had looked forward to staying at Holiday Inn Express in Kingston because my earlier stay a few years ago had been very satisfying.

I arrived late at night but was graciously greeted by the receptionist. It was pleasing to see that décor still looked modern, and once in my room there was evidence that the bathroom had recently been painted. Clearly the hotel was intentional about maintenance.

Holiday Inn Express has always been a preferred choice for me because of spacious rooms, comfortable beds, warm décor and a variety of food items to choose from in the included breakfast. However, it does not appear that all of the housekeeping staff is as conscientious as others. I have come to expect almost pristine white sheets on the bed but I was faced with what appeared to be either discoloured sheets or sheets that had been used and had not been changed. As I took a closer look, I noticed that there was a long strand of hair on the pillow. This strongly indicated that the maid had taken shortcuts and had not changed the bedclothes after the previous guest.

I was very disappointed because the hotel is a plus in so many other ways. If I have to stay there again, I will have to make sure that I specifically request that the bedclothes are changed. It is unfortunate that this basic expectation has to be questioned.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank HalseyV
Brian K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kingston, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Thank you for your comments, I am glad you found the staff receptive and friendly and the breakfast was up to expectations as well. I am disappointed to hear about the condition of the bedding and this certainly not typical of the sevice we wish to deliver. We will be following to make sure this will not happen in the future. if you wish to contact me directly i would be glad to talk to you about this matter.
Ottawa
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel for five days for work and thought it was a good hotel. Others stayed at the Days Inn next door and thought it was terrible. I was lucky I checked the reviews prior to booking! My only criticism is that the fitness facilities were minimal and not that great.

• Stayed September 2013
Brian K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kingston, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
thank you for your comments, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.
Toronto
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Best Hotel in Kingston, Internet, Free Coffee and Breakfast

After staying in various hotels in Kingston (downtown, mid-town and north 401 area) we feel the Holiday Inn Express - 401 is the best.

Most of the hotels have nice rooms and courteous staff but this hotel stands out for three reasons:

1. Internet connectivity is great. Using www.speedtest.net for a wired Ethernet connection, we got pings of 15ms, download speeds of 45 mbps and upload of 7 mbps. For wi-fi we got pings of 11 with downloads of 16 mbps and uploads of 8 mbps. The wi-fi worked great throughout the hotel - whether it was in our room or the lobby / dining room area. This is great if internet connectivity is important to you. It is for us as we use the free Fongo app to make free phone calls anywhere in Canada.

2. Free coffee 24/7 in the lobby. We took advantage of this after returning to hotel late at night.

3. Free hot breakfast. This really simplifies the travel experience.

Our experience has the Holiday Inn as the best hotel in Kingston, especially in the 401 area and is much better than their primary competitor the nearby Courtyard Marriott.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SweetWater8
Brian K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kingston, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review, I am glad we were able to make your stay so enjoyable. I will look forward to your return.
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Sept 2013.. On spur of the moment decision to look into a St Lawrence River Cruise, and no available room at the Waterfront location, I booked a reward night at the Benson St Holiday Inn Express.

Arriving well after 9pm, our room key was waiting for us. Front desk was very friendly. Hotel location is in a suburban area. Hwy adjacent, surrounded by restaurants, drug & grocery stores and other shopping. The room was well appointed, very clean and quiet. Check-out was just as easy. If you don't want the breakfast served at the hotel (included) there is a Denny's Restaurant right next door. Breakfast there was very good.

Kingston waterfront is a short, easy 10 min. drive. I would definitely stay at this location again. Everything you could want seems to be right outside the door...but away from the tourist traffic of downtown Kingston.

Room Tip: Our room was on the backside of the hotel. Very quiet. No road noise. We also had a handicapped room...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandra E
Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review, I will look forward to having you stay with us in the future.