“Falling back but still good”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kingston
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Ottawa, Canada
“Falling back but still good”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I visited this hotel in a business trip last summer and I was amazed. Last weekend I went back with my family and to be honest wasn't impressed as the first time. There was condensation on the windows and burn bulb in the washroom :( Still the cleanliness is on the same level wish is perfect. the breakfast was perfect specially if you have young kids and don't want to search around for a place early on the morning. Fridge was very noisy :(((

Room Tip: Stay by the north side if possible and by the end of the hallways, so you avoid noise of closing doo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Turkish first
London, Canada
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I am a business traveler. I am platinum in a number of different reward systems. 200-250 nights a year in hotels. This hotel is nice and in a convenient location. Staff are quick and no muss no fuss for weary road warriors. Everything you need, no annoyances. Not my favorite, but a very good, solid place to stay. The only complaint is that hotel seems a bit noisy for some reason - not sure why. May have been my room location? The elevator was loud and there was a lot of road noise and yelling people out front. The people upstairs were making a lot of noise that sounded like furniture. Probably just a one off.......

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Middlesex, UK
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We booked a 2-night stay in a king-bedded room via Ebookers, to visit the 1,000-islands on our trip down to Toronto. Holiday Inn Express and Suites was very easy to find just off the motorway. Check-in was easy, friendly and quick. We were allocated room 403 on 3rd floor (America/U.S. do not have ground floors). The room was a good size with a king sized bed with fridge and microwave. Wifi was included in the room price and was fast with a stable signal. Our room was fairly quiet and was at the back of hotel with a view overlooking the parking lot and some autumn trees.

For some reason we were allocated an ‘accessible room’ - I’m not sure why as this was not requested and we were concerned as the terms and conditions stated we could be moved if the room was required by someone with differing needs but in the event we did not have to move. The shower was a wet room style and had plenty of hot water and lots of towels.

Breakfast was included in our room price and there was a very good service with supplies refreshed constantly. I loved the pancake machine and breakfast had plenty of choice although fruit was limited to bananas. We were given advice to book our boat trip from Gananoque as it is much closer to 1000 islands and this was good advice. We had a 2.5 hour trip with excellent commentary. We ate in Grecos one night in Kingston town which was OK but not exceptional. For the second night we at ‘East Side Marios’ about a 5-minute walk from the hotel. This was a good quality diner, with a reasonable menu and prices.

Too summarise, we wished we had stayed in Gananoque as this area of Kingston is quite urban with little character. However, this is a good standard Holiday Inn and was well placed and adequate for our needs.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EmmaDurnford
Brian K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kingston, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we appreciate your comments and look forward to having you stay with us again.
Ontario
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Although the hotel is quite nice, I was given a room on the first floor that was wheelchair accessible, which I don't need. Because it was on the first floor, you hear the constant stream of people leaving the hotel through the side door to the parking lot. As well, the shower had no tub (for the ease of wheelchair accessibility), so the floor was tapered to have water from the shower drain towards the floor drain. However, the hose style shower head would not lock in its position, so when showering, it would slowly turn towards the centre of the room and away from the corner of the shower, causing water build up on the floor. A lot of water.

It took some time to get used to the fan on the heater in the room, and the sounds of the fridge. My friend stayed in a wheelchair access room upstairs. Her room was so much bigger than mine, but she had the same water issues in the shower. I would have preferred a regular room, with a regular shower and tub set up. As an alternative, I thought I could simply sit in the hot tub down beside the pool, but that was out of service (drained, completely dry, with a yellow caution tape around it). For the money I spent, I was disappointed. When I complained at the front desk, the woman offered to take $10 off my bill. Big deal. Will rethink this one next time.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor. Ensure the shower has a tub too.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Wewillgofar
Thank you for your comments, I am glad you found the room comfortable but it is unfortunate to hear about the issues with the shower. If you would like to contact me directly I will be glad to talk about this issue to find a resolution.
Almere, The Netherlands
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed two nights at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites in Kingston, during our round trip through Canada and USA with our two sons. Driving from Ottawa to Toronto we decided to take a break in Kingston to visit Fort Henry. We went off the 401 freeway and we had a good feeling about the Holiday Inn Express Hotel. We were not disappointed. Check in was quick although we did not had a reservation. Staff was friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and clean and the breakfast which was included was fine. All in all it was a very pleasant stay and we do recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind words. I am please to hear the staff met your expectations and that your stay was so enjoyable.
london
Reviewed 23 January 2014

This hotel was a great choice, the lobby and room are clean and attractive. The breakfast bar was very good, with lots of choices, and for me, an acceptance no carb breakfast. The staff was friendly and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
We appreciate your feedback and are glad you enjoyed the room and the breakfast buffet.
Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Really impressed with this hotel! Clean, modern rooms, comfortable bed, great hot breakfast with many choices, wonderful pool that my toddler enjoyed, and fantastic customer service!! We were also quite impressed that it was close by to many other stores/restaurants, such as Tim Hortons, Shoppers Drug Mart, McDonalds, Shell gas station, etc. Overall, extremely impressed with this hotel, and would DEFINITELY stay here again when we are in Kingston next! Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the wonderful review. I am glad you found the location of the hotel and the surround area so convenient. We look forward to having you come back and stay with us again.