“pay the extra to stay elsewhere.”

Econo Lodge City Centre
Ranked #26 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed 11 November 2012

We recieved a group rate which was approx. only 5,00 off for 20 rooms not a good deal, The screen in room was bent in half propping open window so room was freezing. Hallways were dirty and reeked of smoke. Saw a cockroach on door of room. The door was also broke the security latch was missing. Friendly front desk staff though.Not coming back,

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank csnowdogs

Reviewed 5 November 2012

The room size was small-but After all you only need it to sleep right? The lamp shades were dented and rusty. The pillowcases on the pillows were too small and half the pillow was uncovered.
The worst was the bathroom-I went to take a shower and noticed pubic hair from the person who stayed in the room before us-I was so grossed out I refused to take a shower. The bathroom was low on toilet paper with no extra in sight. When we checked in the desk person didn't even grunt a hello-perhaps she didn't speak English of course since she didn't say anything-I'll never know.
I will never stay there again

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Sweetchks442
Reviewed 5 September 2012

If you just want the basics for 1 night this is OK. It was a hot day & our room cooled down shortly after turning on the AC. However, all of the hallways stayed very warm well into the night. It took me awhile to find the ice machine on a different floor from what I was staying on. Everything in our rooms worked well to include the wireless internet. But the paint was peeling from the ceiling in our room & the whole place looked like it needed a face lift. The staff was friendly, but spent a lot of time smoking on the front steps of the hotel. All of the breakfast items were cold, but that is what was advertised. This may be OK for some people, but this was the first time that I had stayed at an Econo Lodge & it will be the last.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank harryatkck
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We were somewhat skeptical booking into this hotel but the sign said newly renovated so we did. The room was small but clean and the king bed was very comfortable. Free breakfast was a bit scarce but if you want a cheap room this is it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dldenis
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Before we settled in Kingston, my wife and I stayed overnight to meet a housing agent the next day - so, we wanted a clean but super cheap place to lay our heads down after a long drive from Vankleek Hill where we had been living. I liked the idea of Kingston as a retirement town because of the hospitals and the University (Queens), Fort St.Henry and the fact that way back when I visited there had been One (1) Indian restaurant and I love Indian cuisine!. Plus my wife's totem/avatar thingy is water and Kingston is right at the mouth of Lake Ontario! This is where we wanted to retire. Me, because I'm 65 and disabled (arthritis and other chronic pain) and she wanted a good job where she didn't need to speak French ( she's a South African).
We settled on the Econo Lodge Centre City because it was very reasonable $ wise and it was right in the centre of the town.
Now, it is a typical square box reception room with a long stretch of rooms reaching back away from the noise of the main drag, Princess Street. It offered a steaming pot of dreadful coffee in the lobby with sugar and pretend milk stuff - we paid up and walked back about 4 doors to our room. My back was aching from the car so I lay down on the bed right away and EUREKA! It was a real mattress! I checked and it was one of those hellishly expensive posture orthopedic luxury jobs! We had the best night's sleep in years! But, before that, we wanted to know where was a good Indian restaurant nearby. Lots of Indian restaurants nowadays in Kingston! The receptionist said that we should try Darbar about four blocks south on Princess Street. Well, it was a miracle place with terrific food and friendly service and very reasonably priced!
It was only one night but it was the most comfortable I've ever had. The bathroom was clean with plenty of towels and little bottles of shampoo. We left refreshed the next day. We didn't bother with the free coffee...

Room Tip: Get a room furthest away from the main Street, Princess Street.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank dailyllama m
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Rooms are clean and the location is good. The price is a bit high $89 if you don't get CAA discount and so on, comparing to the others in the area.

The breakfast was a really fast one and a bit croweded...too small area for all guests...

Room Tip: Rooms close to the exit ...ie...101 as otherwise you got to walk in a corridor for a while to get to...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Loveabeachandsun
Reviewed 15 June 2012

The place is a 30 minute walk from the waterfront or 10 by car. The staff is friendly and helpful. The place could be a little cleaner but is still clean. At the price we paid 80$ with caa it was not expensive.

Room Tip: You pay the same price for a queen or a king, might as well get the king.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple