“Best sleep in several weeks”

Econo Lodge City Centre
Ranked #26 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The new bed in our room was awesome, no lumps, no rolling into the middle, just comfortable and a great couple nights sleep. The room was quite Spartan with no clock radio, fridge or other amenities but the TV and internet connections worked good. The first morning, I reported that the toilet was loose and when I came in that evening, it had been repaired. We had coffee but didn't partake in the breakfast as the Star Diner just down the street has an awesome breakfast selection for great prices. The hotel was in an ideal location for our stay and we felt comfortable there. There was a heavy odor of incense in the hallways and the narrowing of one hallway was odd but our room was fine. The front desk clerk was very helpful with check in and helped us with our luggage as well.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly B

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel on our way to Kitchener February 28th 2014. Despite the fact that the entrance is not very welcoming, check-in was easy. I had booked through Expedia and got a pretty good rate. They will run a pre-authorization for $50 on your credit card, presumably as a damage deposit. When I asked about it being released, the clerk said it would be released within two days of my check out but then "joked" that she may elect to use the $50 to shop on eBay, which I found to be quite odd. The entrance from the parking lot, especially at 11:00 pm, is quite sketchy, as are the corridors, with random ribbons tied to various doorknobs and room keys stashed under doorways. Hallways smell heavily of smoke, but as noted in a previous review, the rooms are fresh and show evidence of recent renovations. Our room had a mini fridge that hadn't been cleaned out from the previous guest, but other than that, it was pretty clean and the beds are firm, yet comfortable. Continental breakfast consists of toast, cereal, muffins, a waffle station, juice, coffee, tea, and a basket of apples. Interestingly, the breakfast area seemed to double as the gathering spot of a contingent of local senior citizens, who all seemed to know each other very well. Overall, about what one would expect from a $79 hotel room. Wouldn't go out of my way to stay at the Econo Lodge City Centre in the future.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank sunbabe68
Reviewed 2 February 2014

This is a pretty decent hotel, and one of the cheapest deals in (downtown) Kingston. However, keep in mind it is not the Ritz-Carlton, so keep your expectations in check.

My room was adequately large and the bed was comfortable. Check-in was painless (with a $50 damage deposit), and the front desk staff were very helpful. Breakfast is served each morning, and their waffle-maker was a highlight of my stay. This motel is conveniently located on Princess St, about 25 minutes' walk to the waterfront.

The downside to this motel is certainly the fact that it does show its age. The halls are slightly dark, with a pervasive odour of tobacco smoke and generic carpet cleaner; luckily, the room itself is not unpleasant. The carpet and furnishings are worn, and the room itself was quite chilly on a cold January night with only a small baseboard heater for temperature regulation. There was a noticeable draft from the window. The walls appear somewhat thin, so conversations from the adjacent room were audible, but this generally did not bother me. Overall, I was not troubled by these deficiencies but I figure some travelers may be pickier about their lodgings than I am.

Negatives aside, this motel is a great bargain as long as you are not expecting anything too fancy. I will most likely return here on future trips to Kingston, and I will recommend it for anyone visiting the city on a budget!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Mike W
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed here in mid January for our daughter's curling competition.
The location was great. Close to where we wanted to go and to
shopping. The rooms were clean. The breakfast was good as
well. Not a lot of options, but still quite nice. I know you get what you
pay for, but we did miss have a coffee pot in our room. Also only a
couple of plastic glasses for drinks. I found the hallways very cold
and they smelled like smoke (we did have a non smoking room).
But for the price and only one night stay, it suited our needs.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank teed43
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed here for Saturday night of homecoming. Our goal was really just to find an affordable (not the 300$ everyone else was charging homecoming weekend) place to lay our heads within walking distance of Queen's and downtown. I have previously tried the Super 8 and quickly decided to try anything else. We got the Econo Lodge for about the same price, but the quality was worlds above.

Lots of free parking on weekends (although I understand there may be less on week days). Hotel room was a decent size and nicely appointed. Only 3 pillows for a King sized bed, but the bed was comfy if not amazing and everything was nice and clean. Carpets were fresh and bathroom was well scrubbed. Towels were a little small but clean. Overall it was a solid 3 star hotel. Everything worked well (tv, wifi etc) and staff were very friendly. There was also a desk and very comfy chair to sit on.

The hotel is a 20-25 minute walk down to the waterfront/ core of downtown, but it's a pleasant stroll or cheap cab ride. There is also a Tim Hortons, LCBO and Giant Tiger very close by.
This is definitely the best deal of the "downtown" Kingston hotels. You will likely pay at least twice the price to find anything better outside of the B&Bs.

We didn't try the breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathleen M
Reviewed 4 October 2013

When Hotwire gave me Econo Lodge, I have to admit, at first I wasn't thrilled. However, after spending a night there, the very friendly staff and owners made me glad I did. They were very accommodating and seeing as it's a small hotel, you felt known and cared for. For example, I made a special request to stay past check in and they were instantly obliging with no extra charge.
The hotel is on the main strip in Kingston and easy access to everything. The rooms were clean and functional, bed was comfortable. Breakfast was buffet and enough choices.
And the price was right!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank fvzmh
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed one night only. The room was large and clean and the bathroom adequate. The corridor smelled of cigarette smoke even though the motel was supposed to be non-smoking. We were in the room the minimal amount of time.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends