“not impressed”

Ranked #31 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed 19 June 2014

my wife and I stayed there last Saturday night. the service was good and very welcoming, but the property has a lot of garbage and the waterfront side has not been maintained in regards to grass cutting and landscaping. the renovations seem to be like putting lipstick on a pig, but I guess that's the way they are going. our room was small but seemed to be fairly clean. what made the trip a disaster was when my wife found a cockroach roaming the bathroom sink. there are long term tenants there that seem a bit on the rough side as well. I do not recommend this hotel in the condition it is in currently. maybe the results will be better in time, but I am very doubtful. for the same price range, I recommend going on princess st to the motels near rona if you are looking for budget friendly and clean motels.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank jamntam
roxy611, Guest Relations Manager at Bayside Inn & Waterfront Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the hotel team at Bayside Inn and Waterfront Suites, we would like to thank you for being our guests and allowing us to accommodate you in Kingston!

We are glad you enjoyed the service, the rooms, and found our hotel welcoming. Also, we appreciate your kind consideration as we were performing various renovations to the hotel. I am pleased to say the hotel renovations are complete and we now have rebranded into a waterfront boutique hotel!

Apart from your positive experiences, I completely agree with your concerns about the maintenance of the hotel grounds and apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we are understaffed at the busy weekend when you arrived which is why the outdoor maintenance work was unattended at the time. I shared your experiences with all of our hotel staff members especially the cleaning staff and stressed all of the points you raised in an effort to optimize future guest experiences as much as possible.

Once again, thank you for visiting us and helping us improve our facility. Your suggestions have better enabled us to optimize guest experience! Thank you so much for that.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We recently spent one night at this motel. They are working hard on room improvements. Musty smell in some of the rooms. We had a wonderful view of the bay and marina. Nice deck to relax on. Best part was the over the top excellent customer service. Such a kind wonderful team that tried to accommodate our needs. We were overwhelmed by their kindness. We had a clean room with a queen size bed. Tim Hortons is right across the street and a decent sit down restaurant within a couple of minute walking distance. Other than that we did not find much around there. Very noisy train travelling often nearby

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LindaWalnut

Dear Valued Guest,

We are glad you enjoyed the ambiance of the Waterfront and found our property location convenient. It is also a pleasure to hear you had a positive experience with one of our friendly staff members during your stay and appreciate your kind consideration as we were performing various renovations to the hotel. I am pleased to say the hotel renovations are complete and we now have rebranded into a waterfront boutique hotel!

Apart from your positive experiences, I completely agree with your concerns about the musty smell of some rooms and apologize for the inconvenience. I shared your experiences with all of our hotel staff members especially the cleaning staff and stressed all of the points you raised in an effort to optimize future guest experiences as much as possible. These guestroom odor issues have since been eliminated with our new cleaning products from Ecolab.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Cheryl, the owner/mgr, was very welcoming & hospitable...she kindly kept the office open until our 10pm arrival (end of a 9 hour drive). Construction & renovations are in progress and she asked us to please ignore the piles waiting for a dumpster. No problem! The view of Collins Bay from our room was peaceful and the sun made the water sparkle. Also, the motel's location was convenient for the friends we were visiting in Amherstview.
Room 114 was an odd mix of furniture/amenities. Nice flat screen TV, but the kitchenette chair broke when sat on. Cooking supplies were yard sale worthy. We couldn't find fault with anyone for the crazy Mayfly invasion, but we know they could easily improve their cleaning: e.g. wash the back of the bathroom door all around the handle, vacuum under the bed, re-caulk the shower, replace the shower curtain that had mold on the inside, add a clean fresh coat of paint.
Cheryl said the room had been re-done awhile ago, and they plan to re-do it again using a king-size bed. Very small room -- that will be a challenge. My husband and I would currently rate the motel with 2 stars; $107 p/ngt was way overpriced.

Room Tip: Seems to be only 2 rooms on ground level with a view of the Bay.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teresa J

Dear Valued Guest,

Apart from your positive experiences, I completely agree with your concerns and apologize for the inconvenience. It is very unfortunate that our guest room could not meet your expectations even though we always strive to make a sincere effort towards enhancement of guest experience. I shared your experiences with all of our hotel staff members especially the cleaning staff and stressed all of the points you raised in an effort to optimize future guest experiences as much as possible. Room 114 has now been converted to a waterfront king room with completely new furniture, bedding, and furnished balcony.

Once again, thank you for visiting us and helping us improve our facility. We sincerely regret not being able to fully meet your expectations during your stay and would appreciate if you could give us another opportunity to accommodate you the next time you visit kingston.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed here for the weekend with a group of four friends in two rooms (junior waterview suite and regular room).

Pros: Very friendly owners, obviously working hard to renovate the place, clean, across the street from a Tim Hortons and next to a good bistro, beautiful location on waterfront of Collins Bay.

Cons: Though the rooms were reno'ed, there were still glitches, like door handles and clock radios that didn't work, and little things like no kleenex, no hair dryers, etc. Some beds were new, some were older and not great. Also a little noisy as given the location very close to active rail tracks.

Conclusion: We'd go back. We had a great weekend and despite the small glitches (to be expected in a small owner-operated place), it is overall a good place to stay.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues, make sure you don't have one of the rooms that requires climbing ou...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank PolarLawyer
roxy611, General Manager at Bayside Inn & Waterfront Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We are glad you enjoyed the Waterview Junior Suite and our Classic Two Double bed rooms! It is also a pleasure to hear you had a very positive experience with our friendly staff during your stay and appreciated the thorough improvement of the hotel; this is what we are here for!

As for the small glitches, I completely agree with you and apologize for any inconvenience. Please understand that we have successfully completed the single-story building as part of the first phase of our renovation. Next, we will be completing the final phase of our renovation to the exterior of the hotel's main building, giving the place a brand new trendy look. You will no longer experience any problems with door handles as they will be replaced shortly. In addition to the above, guests will be pleased to know we are almost finished replacing any older mattresses remaining with brand new ones in the hotel as part of our mattress replacement initiative.

Once again, thank you for visiting us and helping us improve our facility. We will to see you again soon!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I booked this hotel online for my families first visit to Kingston, I thought staying on the water just outside the city would be relaxing . On our way up I decided to call the hotel to confirm my reservation and double check the check in time and while speaking to the lady who answered the phone she told me my reservation was not for that day but the day before... I was confused as my reservation had a different date as hers and asked her what I should to do,she said I should call the booking company so I did and after speaking with the booking company and they told me this was something I would have to speak to the hotel about. I called the hotel back and tried to explain to the lady that my reservation paper had the date we were traveling on and there must be a miss understanding so she let me speak to a man... I told him we were two hours away from home and traveling with our 13 month daughter and we have no where to stay now! Basically they couldn't care less and didn't care to sort out the matter or see my reservation for that day he told me they have no rooms and couldn't help me.
I was so upset and worried about finding a room last minute... We ended up finding a room at a hotel in Kingston and had a wonderful weekend.
I can not review the hotel but a can tell you the customer service in terrible, I feel as if I was robbed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Amanda O
roxy611, General Manager at Bayside Inn & Waterfront Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate the time you've taken to give feedback about our hotel. It is regretful to hear that your experience was not a positive one. Lets review the points you raised because they are very important.

You mentioned about making your online booking with us and were not able to stay with us on the day of your arrival. Upon speaking with my front desk and reviewing your reservation details, we have proof of your reservation for August 30th of one night stay. Unfortunately, since you did not show up on the day of your arrival, we had to process a payment of your room of one night plus taxes as stated in our cancellation policy. This is a standard cancellation policy used in almost all hotels in Canada and worldwide. Its purpose is to guarantee a room booking for guests as we did for you on August 30 (see cancellation policy www.baysidehotelkingston.com). Please note that this room was not bookable by other guests for this date.

When you phoned our front desk on the 31st, assuming your arrival was on the 31st, we did not have a room available for this day. This was a very busy labor day weekend so availability was low and we had many people were placed on a waiting list. All in all, we are sorry that we could not accommodate you as our guests in our hotel and would appreciate if you can give us another opportunity to serve you the next time you visit Kingston.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

I booked this hotel in a pinch online based on the title photo and a couple of reviews. I was thoroughly disappointed with the condition of the room. Arriving at the room door, the matter of security came into question as it appeared the door had been kicked in one or more times and then somewhat repaired. This "non smoking" room offended my senses with an aroma akin to that of an ashtray. We did ask for another room but it was surprisingly sold out. As a late arrival on a Saturday, I was concerned about not getting a room elsewhere for the night so I stayed. Despite the smell, I turned the AC to full power & opened the window to air it out! Looking out the window I was horrified to view a graveyard of retired patio furniture. Although in working order the bathroom should have been retired as well!

The hotel is located directly across from the via rail line, Toronto to Montreal and passes every 90 minutes at about 90 km/h announcing it's arrival each & every time. It is also a 20 min drive to downtown Kingston but at least you can drive past the prison on your way to dinner. I will say the bed was at least clean & bouncy. I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: do not stay here
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WANDERLUSTinME
roxy611, General Manager at Bayside Inn & Waterfront Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate the time you've taken to give feedback regarding your experience at our hotel. It is regretful to hear that your experience was not a positive one. Lets review the points you raised because they are very important.

Firstly, you mentioned about the online title photo and reviews which influenced your decision to book with us. Upon speaking with my front desk staff, we have confirmed that you did not stay in the Waterview King Suite as seen in the title photo. We are particularly savvy when it comes to adding details to all guest rooms such as quality of bedding, cleanliness, and the overall guest experience. Perhaps you expected all of our rooms would be like this particular room type; yet, we have many different room types at our hotel that cater to our diversified guest portfolio.

Secondly, let me clear that you stayed in one of our economy rooms as the hotel was completely sold out that day. Unfortunately, due to the limited amount of rooms, we did not have availability of the desired room type you expected. Please rest assure we are doing our level best to completely revamp the place to make your experience even better the next time you visit us. I will investigate into the smoking smell in your room and resolve the issue.

Once again, thank you for visiting us and hope you can give us another opportunity to serve you in Kingston in the near future.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

the room was amazing and everyone was nice. i was told the motel was under reno so it will look new soon. our room was the king suite and was brand new. vary nice room. we had our own deck and the people next to us was by far the nicest people ever. it was a room for 2 but they did not mind us have over 4 more people. will be going back there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
roxy611, General Manager at Bayside Inn & Waterfront Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Hello Nicholas,

We are glad you enjoyed one of our brand new boutique hotel rooms for 2013- the Waterview Junior Suite! And we are also pleased to know you had a very positive experience with our services during your stay; this is what we are here for! Since the beginning of 2013, we have been slowly revamping the place to make guest experience as optimal as it can be.

Once again, thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you again soon.

Tony Rehman