“Very good experience here...”

Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Kelowna, Canada
“Very good experience here...”
Reviewed 16 June 2011

Very impressed with this property. My room was very spacious, had a great view, was clean and contemporary. Location makes it an easy walk to Queen's university and downtown. Gym and pool were also very clean, although my one compaint would be the gym didn't have much in the way of aerobic equipment (only 3-4 machines). No big deal though as the weather was great so i just went for a run around town and along the waterfront. They also have 'socials' for the hotel guests in the evenings, and a free continental breakie in the AM. And the internet was free....all great perks I didn't get from the hotel I stayed at in Toronto that charged me $100 a night more! My first trip to Kingston and I thought it was very nice. If I ever come back I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank jaygordo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Reviewed 31 May 2011

We stayed with our baby daughter and parents-in-law, we arrived to a beautiful town by the lake, a nice looking hotel in a great spot. When we arrived we were told that we had cancelled our reservation (although we don't recall doing so), when we reassured the desk that we were there to stay, and were given a suite, which was only accessible by a staircase, despite our obvious stroller and quantity of luggage. The rooms were well appointed and the facilities nice and new. When we went to eat at the restaurant, most things were not available except mac-and-cheese.

Room Tip: If your up the stairs, pack light.
1 Thank JuddFamily3
YGKRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this review, 20 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I really appreciate this and will use the information to further improve our service. We all look forward to welcoming you back to Residence Inn by Marriott Kingston very soon
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2011

Clean, roomy and a great hot breakfast included! This was a wonderful hotel and we're definitely planning on coming back. The kids enjoyed the space in the room and the swimming in the pool! The food in the restaurant was really good too!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
YGKRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this review, 30 May 2011
Thank you for this wonderfull review. It is lovely to know that your children enjoyed the pool, it is such a bonus to have this salt water facility. I will take great pleasure in passing on you comments to all associates.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Very quiet, oversized room with a comfortable king bed. Lovely view. So new that our GPS did not "know" about it. A short walk to town. But attention to detail was lacking. For example, we had to tell them about a droopy valance, and our warped bathroom door did not shut easily (so much for new construction). Another towel rack would have been useful in the sink area.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am so sorry that your guest suite had maintenance issues, I have corrected these now. Please contact me direclty on 613 531 7200 when you next require accommodations in Kingston and I will ensure your room is perfect in every way.
Reviewed 4 May 2011

I stayed here a couple weeks ago on a last minute trip to Kingston and couldn't have asked for anything more. The rooms were quite large and had a full kitchen which would be nice if you were staying there for the week. Being located on the harbor made it very accessible to many of the tourist spots and allowed us to walk around most of the time. There was an additional $15 fee for parking so include that in the hotel price when booking. I would definitely recommend this hotel to someone who wants to stay in a hotel with many amenities and a convenient location.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
YGKRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this review, 5 May 2011
It is great that you have posted this review on our hotel and we thank you very much. We are very proud to be the only hotel in Kingston which offers full kitchens in all our guest suites. Being right on the water we are indeed in a superb location from which to explore this historic city and of course take a boat trip to the fabulous Thousand Islands.
We all look forward to seeing you back in Kingston again soon, especially as the summer weather seems to be finally around the corner.
Please be sure to come and say hello, maybe I will see you at our twice weekly complimentary social evenings where you can enjoy the company of other guests and some lovely food.
London , On
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We went to visit our son who couldn't make it home for Easter. We investgated the hotels that were located near the college so we didn't have to travel back and forth and found that this one had many good reviews. We were very pleasently surprised.

We were early in arriving but the staff were able to come up with a room that was ready. Our son joined us and stayed for the night. We thought that the staff was very courteous and helpful, rooms very clean and comfotable, breakfast was filling and very good. Rooms are very quiet and we were surprised to see how many people were there on the Sarurday morning.

Though we didn't use the kitchen in the room, we would definately be used next time.

We would stay here again , no doubt in our minds.

Thank -you to all the staff.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travellerLondon_On
YGKRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this review, 26 April 2011
Thank you so much for posting this great review. We really appreciate you taking the time and look forward to welcoming you back to Kingston soon. I use all reviews to assist us in improving our guest service and will take great pleasure in passing on your comments at our daily staff meetings.
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Picked this hotel because it was new and breakfast was included.

Booked through a third party and then looked up my reservation at Marriott rewards to link it to my account. While I could find my reservation, this web site lacks the ability to link it to my profile. Since the space age was 40 years ago, I would expect to be able to do this, but I could not - I had to have the front desk to this (hint - your competition has this capability). While my stay was just a couple of days ago, my stay is still not posted. Perhaps you can computerize this system - there is no reason that it would take ten days for a stay to be posted to my account, especially when my receipt tells me that my stay has been credited to my account.

The room was quite nice as expected although the city view was just looking at a condo (also as expected). This was okay as we were only in the room to sleep and didn't look out the window very often while sleeping.

We checked in and opted for their $15 parking. We were told our key would open the garage door, but this was wrong. We touched the key to the sensor every which was we could. However the door control completely lacks feedback that the door has opened. Since the door is down a curving ramp, it is out of sight we just figured it must be open. Wrong. Had to drive back up the twisting curved ramp backwards to get back to the top - thanks for the unexpected thrill and danger involved. I had to use the call button to get the door open. Just skip the excitement and use the call button to ask if the door is up. After enough calls, the hotel will fix this.

We traded extra sleep for a quick hassle free breakfast as time was tight in the morning. With a free breakfast, most hotels minimize the amount of hotel that does not generate revenue and this hotel is no different. The entire hotel jams into a compact area used for no other purpose. It is quite the cattle corral and by the time you get your breakfast, it's pretty cold.

However, the real problem was the cleanliness of the plates, cups and cutlery. It was disgusting. I needed to fish through over five forks and plates to find a single clean one. The coffee cups were slightly better, likely because you can't just jam them into the dishwasher at a higher capacity than designed.

Here is another tip. Take your free breakfast in the restaurant area and use their cutlery. They care a little more when the food is not free. Or take the stuff from your room. Actually, you should skip this breakfast and use the kitchen in your room to make a toasted bagel. You can grab a bagel from the free breakfast and toast it in your suite.

Since I know the hotel manager reads these reviews, I thought I would spare him seeing this review on line by pointing this issue out of the front desk staff and allow the hotel to address the issue on the spot as this would make for a much better review. I used all the proper terms such as disgusting, completely unacceptable, not up to the standards of Marriott, etc. Normally, when a client points out a tip that would improve your business you provide a benefit back - you know, like comp my parking. I was in a rush and let it drop.

The front desk staff offered to tell the kitchen about this problem. I still recommend that they tell the manager - someone who has the power to change / enforce the hotel processes.

Anyway, there is your tip around running a better hotel - not only do we want free breakfast, we want it in a clean environment that won't make us sick and in a fashion appropriate for the Marriott brand. If this is the first you have heard about our problem, post an update, and I will provide more details for you. Hopefully, your hotel logs all "complaints" like this for appropriate follow up. If so, you know who I am.

Room Tip: Take breakfast to your room
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple