“Terrific value for money, gorgeous views and great location”

Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed 25 October 2013

While this hotel is only "three stars" it really hits above its weight. Great, spacious rooms with fully functioning kitchenettes. Correspondingly terrific views of the lake and Wolfe Island. Bathrooms are a little tiny, but I was travelling by myself so this wasn't a problem. Breakfast served everyday beside the lobby was hearty and satisfying. I got the "conference rate" for my room which really enhanced this hotel's value.

As I was here for a conference, I also had the opportunity to have the catered dinners from presumably the in-house restaurant. Catering for 80 plus people that results in quality food with great taste is no easy feat but they managed to pull off both. I was impressed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Michael J, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Hello and thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay. Your review really brightened my Monday, I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us. I hope the conference was good also, I will pass on your comments regarding catering to my Food and Beverage team.

Warmest Regards,

Mike Johnstone

Write a ReviewReviews (1,318)

Reviewed 24 October 2013

After staying at a competitors hotel in Kingston for the past 12 years for business i discovered the Marriott Kingston Water's Edge. Being a frequent traveler within Canada my preference is to stay in a consistent hotel for many good reasons.

The Residence Inn in Kingston has a first-rate staff team from the General Manager to the housekeeping staff (with all due respect to an earlier review the housekeeping is excellent)
Staff are friendly and personable and its been my personal experience and observation that they consistently engage their guests with the highest of professionalism.

Rooms are large with several amenities and many have breath-taking views of the Kingston harbour especially at sunrise and sunset. The (included in room rate) hot breakfast buffet means you can sleep in a bit longer without the muss and fuss of ordering and paying for your meal and gets you off to work/play ship-shape every morning.

The hotel is within walking distance of several excellent restaurants and establishments, however, the hotel restaurant is hidden jewel in this "Limestone City" serving up excellent and surprisingly delightful cuisine!

I, therefore, highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling through Kingston on business or pleasure whose expectations of a fantastic stay will be most certainly met and rewarded!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Michael J, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

I just love that word ``Best`` Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and for your wonderful review. We have had a great week at the Marriott and this just tops it off perfectly. Please let me know if I can be of any help at all with future travel plans either in Kingston or in fact we do have many hotels in locations accross Canada and I would love to assist you with this also if rellevant.
Have a great weekend.
Mike

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Check-in was efficient, the room looked great although I didn't really make use of the kitchen facilities in the suite. I was there for a corporate training event and the catering provided by the hotel was top notch. Only very minor annoyances: too soft bed and a noisy AC. I would definitely return

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Hello from a sunny but chilly Kingston. Thank you for posting your review, I am sure others will find your comments useful. I am sorry you found our beds soft, this is such a personal thing of course and I hope this will not detract from you coming back. Our in-room AC units can sometimes cause a little noise when they start up, if you would be so kind as to let me know the suite number you occupied I can ask my Maintenance Manager, Tom, to check this out. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments about our conference catering to our Food and Beverage team.
Mike

Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Residence Inn in Kingston for work. I was especially pleased with the friendly and helpful staff. We had to leave for work in the morning before the regular included breakfast was to be served. When we imformed staff about this the night before, they made sure to prepare us a box of pastries and fruit to take away. They also suggested without being asked some excellent activities for us in Kingston. On Thursdays they also have a free dinner offered, which was pretty good too! Rooms are similar to other Residence Inn suites I've stayed in - good sized and clean with a kitchenette. The location is close to downtown and the views of the water from the hotel are amazing. The cost is also very reasonable, at least on weekdays.

• Stayed: October 2013
Michael J, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you, thank you, thank you a million times. What a great review! Come back soon and hopefully I can shake you by the hand. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and that my team looked after you so well. It is very cold in Kingston today but really pretty also with the fall colors.
Warmest Regards

Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed here because we couldn't get into our usual picks. What a pleasant surprise!! We had a King Suite which far exceeded our expectations. It was large with a full fridge, stove top, microwave, sitting area and a wonderfully comfy bed. The room rate includes breakfast which was the best hot buffet I have ever seen. I have a dairy allergy and the chef came out and went through each dish and even made a special plate of roasted potato wedges as the other ones had cheese. The location is perfect - right on the water, downtown. This is my new 'go to' hotel in Kingston.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Michael J, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Hi, I am glad you found us and am delighted that we are now your hotel of choice. Thank you for sharing your experiences and if there is anything I can do to assist with future bookings, please call me on 613 531 7200.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

The location of this hotel could not be better, and it has fabulous views of the lake and Fort Henry. The rooms are spacious and convenient, with all the standard amenities of a Residence Inn.

We were very excited when this hotel first opened a few years ago, providing a new alternative to the other, by now very outdated, lake front hotels in Kingston. But we are now amazed at how this beautiful property is being allowed to become just as outdated and scruffy. The rooms look tired, our most recent bathroom had a cracked, blackened bathtub and a massive patch on the ceiling, where something had obviously leaked and was later repaired in the most amateurish way I've ever seen. I am by no means handy, but I am certain I could have done a better job. There are black smudges on the walls and stains on the carpet.

The breakfast area is way too small for the amount of rooms. No matter the time, you will always see somebody standing with their breakfast in hand trying to figure out if it's easier to wait for a table or just go up and eat in their room.

This is a pet friendly hotel. We are not dog lovers, but have learned to accept that most hotels allow them. However, in this hotel, all rooms are connecting to the next one, and if there happens to be a dog next to you room, it will feel (and smell) like they are sharing a room with you. I really wish hotels would understand that some people have pet allergies, and designate some "pet friendly" rooms just like they do for smoking. We have had to request a room change after our daughter's asthma flares and we realize that it's because we have a furry neighbour. In all fairness, the staff has always been very accommodating of this. I just wish we didn't have to worry about it, which would be very easy to achieve - just make some floors pet friendly and some pet-free!

But by far the worst part of this hotel is housekeeping. It's absolutely the worst we have ever experienced. We have decided to stay in the room when they come, otherwise the housekeeping service is limited to the ladies making the beds and hanging the towels. Sadly, I am not exaggerating. We once dared to request that they mop the floor (where our daughter had spilled juice) and vacuum the room, request that was received with visible annoyance. They didn't have a vacuum with them (had to go get one elsewhere) and apparently they don't have mops at all, as the lady proceeded to wash the floor with a used towel. After a few days of stay there are dust bunnies everywhere- we are planning on bringing a swiffer for our next stay.

Which brings me to my next point: we will be staying there again. The location and the spacious suites still make this the best option in Kingston, and it's very sad that what could be hands-down the best hotel in town, is not, solely due to poor (or lazy?) management.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bringing_the_kids
Michael J, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Hello and thank you for your review. I am pretty appalled at what I read and really encourage you to call me on 6135317200, I need to know which suite you were in so I can identify which staff you came into contact with. Once I know which suite you were in I can also inspect this myself and access the maintenance issues you mention.
I look forward to your call.
Regards, Mike

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Located right on the waterfront with a great view of the Lake and close to the University. Rooms are nice, comfortable although the kitchenette is a bit tight.

Being on the waterfront it's a short walk to the Harbour from which the Tourists boats depart and an easy walk to the city centre. Fort Henry is about a five minute drive away. You can also go for runs by the lake so I didn't bother with the gym.

The hotel is quiet just like the rest of the area, rooms are clean with 2 bathrooms in the 2 bedroom units, underground parking and there is a very nice breakfast spread with snacks on weekday evenings.

There is a restaurant on the ground floor, I didn't go there but it seems to attract a steady clientele.

Downside. A bit far from regular chain stores/shopping centres if you need to buy stuff and the parking isn't free.

Overall, a nice quiet pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for kind review, I am delighted you enjoyed most aspects of your recent stay with us.
I hope to be able to welcome you back to Kingston very soon.