“Good hotel close to downtown and lake”

Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed here for one night in June. Initially there was a mix up over rooms because the hotel was fully booked and one member of staf in reception was training. Other people were also affected by the same confusion. Once this was sorted out, we found the room to be very good and service in the hotel generally was also very good. Breakfast was buffet style. The one negative point is the $16 charge for parking which seems completely disproportionate. Mind you, there are parking meters everywhere in Kingston so perhaps they have a thing about parking. The hotel managed to lose our bar bill because they have a strange system of photocopying signed bills and passing them to reception to be logged as room charges.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
David D, Guest Service Supervisor at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Good afternoon Stephen.

Thank you for staying with us and giving us your review of our property!

I do apologize for the confusion at check in, and for losing the bar bill for that matter! Thank you very much for your patience and understanding during our training as well.

I certainly hope you enjoyed your stay and your visit to Kingston. We recommend to many of our guests to keep their car parked with us and go on foot or via the Kingston trolly to visit major tourist destinations. This will help to keep parking costs down for visitors.

Stephen, I'd like to invite you to contact me directly should you wish to discuss parking, the bar bill, or anything at all in further detail. gss.marriott2@gmail.com

Many thanks and I hope to see you again in the future!

-David

Write a ReviewReviews (1,305)

Reviewed 3 July 2014

This is our third stay at this hotel in a year. The rates have increased because it is summer and this is a tourist area. The location of this hotel is great. It is downtown Kingston so within walking distance of restaurants and stores. Also it is located right on the water and the views are amazing. A breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, homefries, cereal, pancakes, toast bagels fruit and muffins is included in the room rate.

If you are looking for a nice place to stay and enjoy the downtown area this is a good choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the water.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Neys.

We're delighted that you're returning to us frequently! Our location, views, breakfast (with turkey bacon), is certainly a prime choice for visitors to Kingston.

I hope you had the chance to enjoy all the new tourist oriented activities happening around the city! Including the new haunted trolly ride!

Thank you very much for a great review and looking forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Very clean, commodious rooms; a relatively new hotel on the harbor in Kingston, conveniently located to the many restaurants, shops, and pubs of Kingston. However, the pet charge per night is the highest I have ever paid, including at five star city hotels and other Residence Inns in the states. They claim it is for "deep cleaning", but I am confident that the $100 dollars additional is more than sufficient to handle whatever pet residue is left behind. I fully understand and accept the particular challenges that hotels face when they accept pets, but the premium charged here verges on price gouging. There is an older, truly pet friendly hotel a bit closer to town center offering rooms with good views of the harbor at a much lower cost that might be worth checking out if you are traveling with Fido and would prefer not to plunk down an additional grand. That said, if I am in Kingston again without my dog I would still,probably opt for the Residence Inn.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dennis H
David D, Guest Service Supervisor at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Good day Dennis.

Thank you for your review. We are always happy to welcome our furry guests along with their owners. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our location close to many of our favourite pubs and restaurants downtown!

I'm sorry if the pet fee caught you off guard. We aim to keep our guests informed before they arrive by posting information online and at check in.

We do charge the $100 fee to cover the charges required to ensure that our suites are completely prepared for guests with pet sensitivity or allergies.

Dennis, I am very glad to hear that you would still opt to stay with us, and I would like to entice you to bring your four footed travel companion too. I can be reached via email: gss.marriott2@gmail.com

I hope to hear from you soon!

Many thanks.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I shared a suite with a friend during the recent Canada Day weekend in Kingston. I thought it relatively expensive for what we got. Parking is extra - $16 plus tax each day - even if you park outside. The hot breakfast offered a reasonable selection (I suggest you give the "turkey baccon" a miss) and it was nice to be able to have breakfast on one of the two patios. The front-desk staff were friendly and helpful, but the room staff omitted to make up our room on one of the days of our stay. We had no major problems during our stay, but I'll probably check out alternatives for my next trip.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Good day Don.

Thank you for your contribution via Tripadvisor. The feedback is certainly appreciated.

I am sorry that we weren't able to meet your needs during your recent stay. I do hope you were able to enjoy July 1st in Kingston!

As you mentioned, we do charge $16 for parking until 5pm of the check out date. We offer in and out privileges and competitive pricing with other parking lots in the city. For the most part, we are on par with our downtown competition.

I'm glad you enjoyed the hot buffet breakfast. There is a large variety, allowing our guests of different tastes to all enjoy a morning meal.

Don, regarding the lack of housekeeping service to your room, I would like to ask if you could take a minute to send me an email so that I can follow up with you in greater detail. It's certainly not consistent with the service we take pride in. My email is gss.marriott2@gmail.com

I'd like to take the opportunity to turn your experience around and welcome you back for your next visit to Kingston!

Very sincerely and thankfully,

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed at the Renaissance Inn by Marriott for one night with our kids, while passing through Kingston. The experience was really nice even before we arrived. I called the day before to get suggestions for a nice family restaurant for the day of our arrival. The woman who answered was very accommodating and talked through several dinner options, even offering to connect us to the restaurant to make the reservation. When we arrived, Jim at the front desk was so welcoming and went out of his way to ensure we had what we needed. We were upgraded to a small suite with a king bed and a pull out sofa for the kids. The hotel room was clean and had a beautiful view of the water. The hotel was in a great location right on the water and within easy walking distance into the city center for dinner. Hot breakfast was also included. Would definitely go back for another stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a water view - beautiful!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
David D, Guest Service Supervisor at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Good morning Julie.

Thank you very much for staying with us and for posting such a great review! We are certainly proud of our Front Desk Agents. Jim will be quite pleased to hear that you appreciated his service!

I'm glad also that you enjoyed your visit to Kingston! We are certainly well located in terms of eatery proximity. Kingston has a varietative selection of restaurants and pubs and we're always happy to share our opinions of downtown food options.

Thank you again and I'm looking forward to welcoming you back! ...as is Jim of course ;)

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We just returned home from a two night stay at the the waters edge Marriott. First impression, great location.
Unfortunately the hotel is depending on their stellar location for rave reviews. We had a one bedroom with living room and kitchen, very spacious but tired. Drinking glass beside bathroom sink was dirty. Glasses in kitchen cupboard had greasy fingerprints all over.
We took our dog and paid a 100.00 premium for a cleaning fee, just in case there were any problems which there were not.
Took the dog out with us early in the morning for 6 hours to give the housekeepers adequate time to clean the room before returning at 2pm to get ready for a wedding. Guess what, the room had not been cleaned and we had to leave at 3pm for a wedding. When my husband called down to the front desk to ask for clean towels and to let them know that we had not had service, they asked him why he had not called down sooner to let them know. We had to let them know we did not want them entering into our room while the dog was on his own. We forfeited the cleaning service but still paid aporox 240. 00 per night.
Complimentary breakfast was a joke. The waiter told us they had obviously overbooked and not enough food prepared. Line was ridiculously long.
Overpriced and did not meet our expectations.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Debsvlad
David D, Guest Service Supervisor at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Debsvlad.

Thank you for your recent review. Your feedback is very valuable and helps us to modify our service so that we can return to being the #1 hotel choice in Kingston which we have enjoyed since we opened in August 2010.

Regarding our location, yes, we are certainly well situated downtown, but I can assure you that we are so much more! We pride ourselves on our excellent service to our guests, and we provide a great value with suites that are 50% larger than traditional rooms and include a free breakfast.

I am disappointed that we didn’t live up to our typical standards during your stay with us. After reviewing your comment, we’re revisiting our current housekeeping schedule (in high season, like June, we like to be able to accommodate early check-ins as much as possible) to better meet the needs of our guest staying over. I’m sorry that we failed to anticipate your needs in cleaning your suite before 2:00pm.

While other hotels have only a few rooms dedicated as “pet friendly” rooms, we allow pets in most of our suites so that we can accommodate special view requests and different room types (like our One Bedroom Suites!). Our pet fee covers the added care our Suite Attendants take in returning the room back to its original quality so that guests with allergies, too, can feel comfortable in the room type of their choice.

Allow me, again, to apologize for your experience at our hotel. I would also like to request that you contact me directly (gss.marriott2@gmail.com) to discuss how we can improve our breakfast and housekeeping experiences.

When we have a guest that has had a less than satisfactory stay, it is our goal to turn this around and offer a positive experience. We would love the opportunity to make this right for you.

Very sincerely and kind regards,

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We spent 3 nights as part of PACE 50 reunion. We couldn't have had a more brilliant place to stay; the facilities were excellent and the staff simply amazing. Reception remembered our names, though we were 2 of more than 80 in our group; Violette Hiebert-Kelly, the Sales and Marketing Manager, looked after us so well - nothing was too much trouble. The rooms are all self-catered suites with full-size fridge-freezer, dishwasher, etc and so spacious. The bed was extremely comfortable with lovely plump feather pillows. I had to show some of our group how to use the coffee machine to make a pot of tea as there was no separate kettle - a little ingenuity saved the day for us Brits! Thank you for a truly memorable stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
David D, Guest Service Supervisor at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Hello Helen!

I'm very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us! We loved having the Pace 50 group here. So many stories to share. It was certainly a refreshing experience.

Violette is truly a super-star and we feel lucky to have her on board with us! I'm glad you were able to execute some British Ingenuity with the coffee maker for your tea (I made ramen in a coffee maker once - I wouldn't recommend it). ;)

Helen, thank you again for staying with us and we are all very hopeful to welcome you back again in the future.