“Nice Rooms, Good Location”

Courtyard by Marriott Kingston Highway 401 / Division Street
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Toronto, Canada
“Nice Rooms, Good Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

About 15 minutes from downtown but the location is ideal with close access to HWY 401. There is ample parking which would not be the case with the hotels downtown. Rooms are large, clean and comfortable. Check in staff were friendly and pleasant.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Bowmanville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

My husband had to go to a specialist in Kingston so we decided to stay at the Courtyard by Marriott in Kingston. We were greated by a lovely young lady who was very helpful and very well trained. The lobby was cleaned and our room looked very fresh and clean. It was very refreshing to see nice bright colours and upgraded furniture. The whole experience was very pleasant. The only thing that could be added is a complimentary breakfast in the morning.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor it was extremely quiet. It your best choice.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Peterborough, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

After spending the previous 2 nights at a Hampton Inn, this hotel highlighted how poor customer service can have such a negative effect on a guest experience.

The hotel itself is very nice, clean and provides good rooms and having stayed here before we thought it was a safe bet to come back, however our experience this time around has left me in no doubt this will not be a hotel I will be visiting again.

The receptionist that dealt with my family and I on check-in was very abrupt and rude. All I did was ask why a $200 dollar deposit was necessary in addition to full payment at check-in, and I was made to feel that I had no right to ask. I explained that I had stayed in a hotel in the U.S. two nights previously and didn't have to pay anything until departure, so I was inquiring why this was necessary, initially I was ignored, then the response was "there in a different country and there different"!

Had it not been for the fact I had my family with me at that point I would have cancelled the booking there and then, however I choose to back off and let it go. The ironic thing was after walking through the reception area on several occasions during our 2 night stay, my family and I were totally ignored by this member of staff and made to feel unwelcome.

Well Courtyard Marriott, Kingston - this member of staff has just lost you a customer as there are plenty of other hotels out there that understand the importance of good customer service.

Room Tip: If you have children with you I would recommend a room on the ground floor for ease of access to the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
CourtyardMarriottGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Kingston Highway 401 / Division Street, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Hello and Greeting from Kingston!

I am sorry to hear that your experience was not quite as expected.

I wish to apologize for the manner in which the message was delivered regarding our deposit requirements.

Each hotel will have it's own set policies in terms of deposit requirements. With any form of payment, be it cash or credit card, we ensure that payment is available as a form of security. A credit card will have an authorization of the total cost of room and taxes, plus a further amount to cover incidentals, or in far less frequently worst case scenarios, damages or loss.

This is a similar policy for guests wishing to pay via cash or debit. A charge of the total room and taxes is processed, along with a deposit to cover incidentals, etc. Our hotel requires $200. This amount is completely refundable, assuming no additional charges are added to your guest folio.

I hope that helps clarify the policies and the fact that that will vary from hotel to hotel.

All that said, it seems our associate delivered the message in a manner unfitting of the service you rightfully deserve. For that, I must apologize.

Rest assured, we have taken this as a coaching opportunity and reviewed the matter with the associate to ensure a similar situation does not arise in the future.

If you wish to discuss the matter, please do not hesitate to message me or call the hotel directly at 613-548-7000.

Yours in hospitality!

Matthew Fry
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

The room was great. Good location near highway, shopping centre and downtown! The staff was very helpful. One of my friend forgot the keys inside the car and the hostess helped us find someone that could open the door. It was very nice!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dominique N
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is co-located with an outlet mall that has stores that we don't usually see in the US. It is also located right off the highway for easy on/off access but is a straight shot into town as well. There is a multiplex theater with an IMAX screen across the street as well. The rooms are large, clean and brightly lit. The internet access was frustrating as it was slow and we finally gave up trying to get anything done on the computer. There is a nice cafe in the lobby and the staff is exceptional. When we mentioned that we would like to see a movie, the staff printed off the movies and show times for us. It was quiet and comfortable but most of the food nearby was chain (McDonald's, Boston Pizza, etc...) so plan ahead or drive into town for chow.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Patricia G
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Nice, new Courtyard located right off Highway 401 within walking distance to a number of chain fast food/family style restaurants and approx.. 10 mins drive to downtown Kingston and its pleasant waterfront. Stayed in on fourth floor King room, was clean and comfortable and up to the latest Courtyard standards. Bed was extremely comfortable, room was quiet, and everything worked well.

Did not use the pool or gym facilities but they looked nice and not too busy.

Would stay here again if visiting the area – nicer than anything in downtown Kingston and only a quick drive away (with free parking on-site).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MTLSteve
Stittsville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had no complaints about the hotel, the staff or the room (except perhaps having to buy overpriced coffee-chain coffee at the hotel restaurant. On the other hand, we were not impressed with Marriot's rate matching guarantee. Paying the higher price and submitting a claim for compensation does not impress me.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple