“We had a great time and we will always return to the Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront.”

Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Ottawa
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We had a great time on our trip to Kingston for the poker run weekend. The hotel was beautiful and we had a marvelous room with a view of the lake and harbourfront. We love the chance to sit outside on the balcony and watch the boats, listen to the music and throughly relax and enjoy this beautiful city. We have been coming up and staying at the Holiday Inn, Waterfront for close to l5 years and I hope the tradition stays with our two guys and they continue to bring their families to the city and hotel for many years to come. We always feel welcome and the staff is very courtious and can't do enough for you. Thank you once again for a wonderful stay. Next time we will stay longer.
The Young Family of Ottawa.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront, responded to this review, 19 August 2011
Hello Mr & Mrs Young,

Thank you for selecting the Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront as your home away from home and for taking time to share your experiences on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Warm regards,

Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Cornwall, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel Aug2nd, 2011. We checked in around 2:30 (check-in time is 3pm) and our room was ready for us. Walking to our room I was somewhat worried as the carpet in the hallway was very dated and stained. I was quite suprised when we did get to our room (355) as it was quite nice. We had a West facing balcony looking over Confederation Basin and a large South facing window looking over RMC. I don't think there could have been a better view in the city!! Our room appeared to have some updating with the funiture but noticed that some of it didn't match. A black leather ottoman and a brown clothed chair seem to stick out. There was also a large desk in front of the South facing window which was gorgeous.
The bathroom was what you would find in a average hotel. I was dissapointed to find ahir behind the door as if the cleaning staff didn't bother to close the door when they swept.
There was also some water damage on the ceiling in front of the balcony.
If you are going to have breakfast in the hotel I recommend getting it as a package with your room as I believe I heard it was $12.99 a person for the buffet. As a package I believe the room was only $7 more a night and we got the breakfast buffet for two.
Lastly there was a charge of $14 a night for parking. The parking boom was broken and anyone could have parked their or free but since I mentioned something about the parking I was charged. :(
Finally, there was both an indoor and outdoor pool. Unfortunately we did not have time to enjoy them but it is nice to have the option!

Room Tip: RM 355 - King bed with great view!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront, responded to this review, 8 August 2011
Good morning Krista 3639,

Thank you for communicating your experiences while staying at the Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront. Our regularly scheduled carpet cleaning program was interrupted due to an equipment failure, however the carpets were brought back to our high standard of cleanliness on Friday August 5. I have also used your comments regarding housekeeping as a training exercise to ensure this is not repeated.

We would love to host your next visit to Kingston, please contact me directly at [--] to confirm your accommodation.

I look forward speaking with you soon.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I stayed here this past Civic holiday. I had made reservations via the phone 2 weeks prior asking for an early check in time (3pm is late and I wanted to be in earlier). The gentleman on the phone said that 1pm was possible due to me being a priority member.

So I planned my trip accordingly, although upon arrival I was told that my room was not ready as they had been sold out the night before (I had arrived at noon). So I said I would be back in an hour (1pm) and the service clerk said ok. It's now 2:30 and I'm still waiting for my room... if he knew I had been in town already and waiting why would he not request my room be cleaned prior to the others? So after talking with him he said he would switch my room with someone elses who hadn't checked in yet (which is not right - but I took it). No apologies or anything. Three trips to the desk - terrible.

Room was great on the otherhand. Great views and bed was terrific. I had stayed here previously and this was the reason I returned again this summer. Walls are thin and you can hear the tv's in the neighbouring rooms but that's ok as most people turn them down/off after 11PM.

Overall I am happy with my stay here minus the service I had trying to check in. If there hadn't been a festival going on in downtown Kingston what was I supposed to do for the 3 hours I had to wait which I was told I wouldn't? The man even asked me what the name of the person is who told me I could check in early as they "don't do that at this hotel". I don't know his name I spoke to him on the phone!

Another negative... and a big negative... the food the last time I stayed here (prior to Dox) was fantastic. Some of the best food I have ever had. This time around with the new restaurant the food wasn't bad although nothing special either but the service, wow, I have never seen such bad service.

The first night we decided to go for dinner at around 8PM. We waited at the front of the restaurant to be seated as a waitress was just ahead talking to another employee. We waited about 2 minutes until she decided to say that you can seat yourselves as if that was normal to do in a restaurant? Not very busy at all as you could tell with all the waiters/waitresses hanging out by the bar talking to eachother. I ordered a bottle of Canadian and was served a pint of Canadian (although the waiter accidently spilt it upon it's first delivery). He apologized.

Then the food came out... the waiter successfully handed two plates to my companions and somehow managed to hit my drinking glass dead on the top with the third plate once again knocking the food over, after some cussing under his breath he brought me a new plate.

Breakfast service was even worse. First morning 9:30 we go in for the breakfast buffet. This time we decided to seat ourselves. Perhaps we were not supposed to for breakfast as we had to wait 10 minutes for someone to ask what we would like (that was when we caught there attention). The lady had said it had never been so busy before at breakfast. Ok - I'll give it to 'em, it's tough running a restaurant when it's busy - heck, even the manager was filling the buffet items. Buffet was good - good variety of hot and cold foods.

The second morning we went back down for breakfast, this time not very busy at all. We waited to be seated this time and were given a table right away. After 15 minutes of sitting down, manager walking by us, waitresses walking by us, we decided to leave.

The experience I had during my previous stay with this restaurant was so good that I was telling people to visit this restaurant - the two days I had tried this restaurant were so awful I don't even want to visit the hotel again.

Apart from the dining experiences... the location was excellent. Downtown Kingston is at your door steps and there is plenty to do and see. The next time I stay in Kingston due to these experiences this time, the service definatly turned me off - I will be staying at the new Residence Inn - Waterfront and see how that is.

Holiday Inn customer service really disappointed me on this trip and for $200 + a night for an Executive King I really expected to atleast not be ignored.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront, responded to this review, 3 August 2011
Dear Velbowski,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your experiences at the Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront. Please accept my apologies for your dissatisfaction with our service. I appreciate your feedback as this allows us to focus on our shortcomings and correct for the future. I have used your notes as a training exercise for our team leaders to ensure immediate correction.

I am certain we can correct these inconveniences and hope you will give us a second chance. Please contact me directly at 613.549.8400 ext. 2600 and I will personally confirm your next accommodation.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback.

madrid, spain
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed here (family with kids aged 13 and 11) during our fly drive to New England and Canada. When I booked the hotel I asked for a waterfront view, but when we checked in (at 4, so pretty early), we were offered a room overlooking the car park. There were no double queen rooms with water views, so after some discussion we took a king double room with sofa bed, overlooking the water. The hotel gave us free parking as well, a nice touch.

The hotel is clean and comfortable, very convenient location, walking distance to many good restaurants and shops. Breakfast was good and though we didn`t have dinner here, the outside terrrace looked nice. Kingston is attractive and was perfect as a 1 night stopover between Toronto and Vermont.

Not cheap for a Holiday Inn Express, but IF you get the lake view, it´s worth staying here.
Can also 100% recommend Le Chien Noir bistro in Brock Street for dinner. Fantastic atmosphere, food and service.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a waterfront view
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Dear Loette,

Thank you for taking time to share your Kingston experiences with us. We hope we may have the opportunity to host your visit again in the near future!

Regards,

Toronto
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Our family has spent a couple of days at this hotel every summer for about 3 years now. The location is fantastic on the Kingston waterfront - nice downtown area with lots of interesting old buildings, pubs, restaurants and shops. Hotel staff friendly and helpful - hotel is definitely older, but rooms and bathrooms are updated. Rooms have balconies. Restaurant has outdoor patio with live music some nights - if you like quiet, request room on other side of hotel - otherwise you will definitely hear it in your room. Indoor and outdoor pool - outdoor pool has great view of harbour and military college across the channel. Business centre consists of a computer and printer in the main hallway where the banquet rooms are - not very private. No Wi-Fi in rooms but all rooms have internet plug-in connection (no-charge). Also handy to have - fridge in rooms. Tim Horton's is just across the parking lot from hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review our property! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your return soon.

toronto
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Great hotel with an option of an indoor pool and really nice outdoor pool over looking the lake! Rooms are spacious and really clean. We were there at Buskerfest so close to all activites. Would definately go back. Thanks!

Room Tip: Good size and updated!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your experience in Kingston and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

See you soon!

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our wedding anniversary this past weekend and were disappointed. The hotel is clean and their staff is nice, but for the price ($220)... we expected a lot more.
On the website their pictures of the pool and workout section are very deceiving. The pool area was old and run down looking.
Our air conditioner kept shutting off throughout the night. This was especially annoying since it is July and I'm 7 months pregnant. Yuck!
The walls are very thin it seems. We were woken up very early by slamming doors and kids running down the hallway.
Their elevators were frustrating...always packed to the max because there are only two for the entire hotel.
Our bathroom door would not close unless you kicked the bottom corner. It looked like there was water damage along the bottom. Also, the light switch for the bathroom was around the corner by the front door...pretty odd spot for the bathroom switch if you ask me...
All in all...it was not the best place we've stayed, BUT we have been in much (much!!) worse. I believe if they lowered their prices or updated their facilities it would have been a much nicer stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank palace86
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments about your stay. While all of our rooms have recently undergone renovations, we are busy attending to a few deficiencies such as the bathroom door that you noted. I am also pleased to report our Indoor Pool and Fitness Facility is scheduled to be updated in the very near future to ensure we exceed the expectations and comfort of our valued guests.

As we are very committed to ensuring our guests comfort, our maintenance team is looking at our heating and cooling system to adjust our in room thermostats to ensure temperature controls are working effectively.

Thank you again for sharing your experiences with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront.

Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront

Travellers are raving about these Kingston hotels