“Bring Earplugs”

Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Toronto, Canada
“Bring Earplugs”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I was assigned this hotel from priceline as I needed a downtown Kingston hotel. I have stayed at this property twice previously. I appreciated that front desk complied with my request for 2 double beds as other hotels will not do so for cheaper priceline deals. Check-in was smooth and front staff were youthful and energetic. I remember J.D. I was pleased that my room had a fridge and I was advised that if I need a microwave one would be brought to my room. I noticed upon entering the room that the quality of beds was excellent which is consistent with the Holiday Inn Brand. I recall the bathroom at this property were a bit small but this is consistent with hotels which were built in the 1960/70s. The issue that I and my family has was that the bathroom WAS NOT clean. The housekeeping maid may have done their best but the water pressure was inconsistent and the water was actual grimy. Both the bathtub/shower and sinks should be replaced and modernized. I did not request a room change as I heard another guest complain about the same thing. Another issue was that our room was close to a freight elevator and as well we could hear a lot of noises which appeared to have come from floor (s) above us and around. To be fair there was some sort of cheerleading event in Kingston and the competitors may have been practicing in their rooms/hallways. This hotel is a family hotel so I understand young people tend to get excited and it was noisy throughout the night. I think the hotel needs a major overhaul with soundproofing. I also found that there was a problem with exiting the parking lot even though I was a registered guest and followed the procedure. There was a snow storm and I had to have my wife call the hotel to open the gate. Strangely enough the last time I stayed ay this hotel 2 years ago the parking gate crashed on top of my rental car; but management took responsibility with the rental company. I was looking forward to using the fitness centre which I was told has been updated but it actual is smaller although the pool seems ok.I did advise front desk of my concerns about the noise and how it affected our sleep and I did appreciate that they had agreed to my request for breakfast buffet for whole family at no extra cost.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from elevators which may be quieter
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
HolidayInnKingston, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Odessafile75,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences while staying at Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront. I am genuinely sorry to hear that your stay was not to your satisfaction and would like to discuss this further with you. Please contact me at 613.549.8400 ext 2600 at your convenience.

Scott Follwell - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2014

On 28 Jan 14, I was in Kingston as part of my military duties and was unable to travel back to Ottawa due to the extremely bad weather. I went to the front desk at the Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront to see if there was a room available for the night. I have to say that the service I received from that point onward was extraordinary and my stay could not have been better. In my entire life, I have never met hotel staff anywhere that showed as much compassion and kindness. The staff that were on duty, JD, Maitlyn, Eden and Holly-Marie, provided me with everything I needed for the evening and I cannot thank them enough. They are a credit to your organization! Thank you Holiday Inn for hiring such a considerate group of people! I would recommend your hotel anytime and I will be staying there again in the near future.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JulieB280114
Dear JulieB280114,

I'm so happy to hear that you have had an excellent stay! Our team prides themselves in providing great service so thank you for sharing your experiences. We look forward welcoming you back soon!

Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront
Newcastle
Reviewed 23 January 2014

The rooms are tired and shabby. The sheers in 212 still have all the snags, as if a cat has tried to climb up them. The breakfast buffet is only lukewarm and not very tasty -- not worth the money. The elevator doors in the lobby still have those ugly pictures of the City -- not attractive at all. There are frequent problems with the remote control for the TV in the room. The General Manager does not return voicemail messages . I left three messages for him in November, related to my stay at this hotel in October -- all the same complaints. He has never returned any of my calls. On the positive side, however, the staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
HolidayInnKingston, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Lynn S,

I am genuinely sorry to see that rather than exceeding your expectations we fell short. We pride ourselves on creating a truly unique hotel experience - I invite you to reach out to me personally at sfollwell@hikingstonwaterfront.com so that we might regain your trust in us.

Scott Follwell - General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Kingston hotels

Belleville, Canada
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We have stayed at this hotel a number of times and always have a great stay. This time though I noticed how exceptional the service is throughout the hotel. From front desk, to the restaurant, to the cleaning staff they are all professional and personable. The room was clean with a great view of the river. (Kids liked to see the ferry coming and going) Pool area was bright and clean, something we notice some hotels seem to neglect. This hotel has an exceptional location too. We were a very short walk to the KRock Centre where we watched Cirque du Soliel. After the show we were another short walk to several different dinning options. It was great!

Dear Scott L L,

Thank you so much! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much that it brought you to TripAdvisor...that means a lot! Anytime our guests share their experience with us, it is very much appreciated. Especially when they are as detailed you were. We definitely look forward to your next visit with us. Till next time!

Millbrook, Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a hockey tournament on January 11, 2014. The location of this hotel is fantastic. Overall the room was a little dated, but fairly clean. The only issue I had was the garbage in the bathroom had not been emptied, nor had the towels been replenished. We were only there for the one night, but I would love to stay at this hotel during the summer!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
HolidayInnKingston, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Hi lisaoconnor,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay. I will share your findings with our Executive Housekeeper for immediate correction.

I can only agree with your comments on our location. It is a great place to be especially in the summer as Kingston hosts many festivals and events all just steps from our front door. Or just relax and unwind on your private guestroom balcony and watch the world go by. We look forward to your return!

Quinte West, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This hotel has great location, right in the heart of downtown Kingston and every room has a balcony with a view of the Cataraqui River. The carpeting is a little dated but the service you will receive will more than make up for it. Anything that you need at any time is cheerfully provided to you. They checked extra storage rooms to find a particular herbal tea for me and when I asked for a dressing that they did not have available the server checked with the chef, who offered to make it for me. It was delicious - the best dressing I have ever eaten. Every time we ran into a staff member we were asked if there was anything they could do for us to make our stay better. It was truly one of the most amazing hotel stays I have had for a very reasonable price. It compares to high end resorts I have visited and will remind you of a spa with the amount of care they take. You really don't have to look any further for a hotel in Kingston - stay here, enjoy the view, partake of everything that downtown Kingston has to offer and have service that will astound you.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
HolidayInnKingston, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear 20S1.

Wow, this is wonderful! Thank you for sharing your story with us. Each of our associates are wonderful and caring members of our team, and we are lucky to have them. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Nova Scotia
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I stayed 4 nights in late November for business. I had a great room with a decent view. The location is right in the heart of downtown which was great as I was on foot. I was very upset that on my last night I found several gross items leftover from the previous people in the dresser drawers and nightstand. Housekeeping needs to be more attentive.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
HolidayInnKingston, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear JJW13,

I'm sorry to hear that your stay was not exceptional but thank you for taking time to comment. I have forwarded your comments to our housekeeping department for review and improvement. When you have a moment, please contact me at 613.549.8400 ext 2600 as I would like to learn more about your experiences.

Many thanks,